Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #81
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sliver, just a few things.

1: I suggest you look at the euthanizing your pet thread, and see the profound impact dogs have of some people lives.

2: If you want an all out ban on dogs, you might as well add humans to the mix. Human/human attacks are more common than dog/human attacks. Should we ban humans?

3: What has happened in your life, where you have generated this irrational hatred of the animal? Were you attacked once? At least this would make it understandable.

4: Not cool at riling up animals to get them to wreck the interior of their owners cars. That is a total a-hole thing to do.

5: Just admit, you are DESS. The timeline works, this is your chance to clear the air.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #82
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Sliver = DESS
Old 06-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #83
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #84
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I have no idea how humans could hate dogs.

Dogs are a reflection of man, like no other animal on earth. Treat a dog with love and he will reward you with it back 100x over. Treat a dog poorly and expect the same in return. Dogs have been tied to man all through history.

I've had dogs my entire life, and can tell you that I prefer there company to most people. Nothing actually breaks my heart more then animal cruelty to dogs. (and all animals in general)

You posted some links of dogs attacks? Wouldn't even compare to the hundreds of thousands of abuses man has done toward dogs.

By the way if I saw you outside my car riling my dog up, I'd knock you straight out.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #85
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Sliver, just a few things.

1: I suggest you look at the euthanizing your pet thread, and see the profound impact dogs have of some people lives.
I understand that. I donated to Mayer when his dog needed help. I'd do the same for most members here as I'd hate to see anything (including dogs) suffer. I actually don't even kill bugs unless they're attacking me and I don't let my kids kill them, either.

Not liking dogs doesn't mean I want to kill them. But I also think it's unfair to let your dog negatively affect somebody else's life. Dogs barking, defecating and attacking people annoy me so much. Maybe a few bad apples have spoiled it for everyone (as far as my opinion is concerned), but I hit a breaking point a few years ago where I just decided screw dogs as their owners don't care at all about the impact their dog has on anybody else's enjoyment of life.

Quote:
2: If you want an all out ban on dogs, you might as well add humans to the mix. Human/human attacks are more common than dog/human attacks. Should we ban humans?
Cities are for humans, not dogs. If I went to Africa and found a wild pack of dogs (I don't actually even know where dogs are from) roaming the plains, I'd be on their turf and they'd have every right to howl and eat me if they so chose. Calgary is the turf of humans, so we shouldn't have to put up with their poor behaviour.

Quote:
3: What has happened in your life, where you have generated this irrational hatred of the animal? Were you attacked once? At least this would make it understandable.
Actually, no. I've never really liked dogs as far back as I can remember, but I'd pet them and play fetch with them and stuff because that's what's expected of you. In fact, if I went to your place I'd pet your dog and tell you how cool he is or whatever just because I'd look like a total a-hole if I didn't comment on somebody's beloved dog.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back was actually in about 2007ish when I had this next door neighbour with a crap-factory for a dog. We lived in a new house and this guy didn't want to chip in for a fence between our properties, but he'd let his dog crap all over my backyard. I talked to him about it repeatedly and he would deny it was his dog. I had pictures of this dog crapping on my lawn and he'd straight up say "wasn't him" even though we were both looking at a photo of this dog crapping in my backyard. It was unreal.

So I called the city on him. They gave him a warning. He didn't care. They came back and gave him a ticket. He still didn't care. Then the city actually came and cleaned up the crap and sent him a bill. The guy still didn't care and told me he hired the city to come clean up the dog crap so I should leave him alone. I told him the city doesn't have a doggie-doo service and that I had called on him. Anyway, this went on and on. And while that was happening...

....there was this dude across the street and four doors down that let his dog bark non-stop from the time I got home from work (I still have no idea when it started in the day) until he got home from work and let it in around 10 p.m. Every single day. I left him a note and again, he didn't care. I called the city and went through this big ordeal of having to log the times of barking, etc. for 30 days. The dog still barked. So I moved.

Now in my new place (we moved here three years ago) all I can hear around me is bark, bark, bark, bark at all times. It's incredible. So I've just given up calling the city as they won't do anything. I talked to one of the neighbours about his constantly-barking dog and he just told me "dogs bark". I've given up. Dog owners totally don't care about the affect their dog has on other people.

Quote:
4: Not cool at riling up animals to get them to wreck the interior of their owners cars. That is a total a-hole thing to do.
Yeah, I know. That quote was from the A-hole Things you do just to be an A-hole thread lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #86
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the straw that broke the camel's back was actually in about 2007ish when I had this next door neighbour with a crap-factory for a dog. We lived in a new house and this guy didn't want to chip in for a fence between our properties, but he'd let his dog crap all over my backyard. I talked to him about it repeatedly and he would deny it was his dog. I had pictures of this dog crapping on my lawn and he'd straight up say "wasn't him" even though we were both looking at a photo of this dog crapping in my backyard. It was unreal.

So I called the city on him. They gave him a warning. He didn't care. They came back and gave him a ticket. He still didn't care. Then the city actually came and cleaned up the crap and sent him a bill. The guy still didn't care and told me he hired the city to come clean up the dog crap so I should leave him alone. I told him the city doesn't have a doggie-doo service and that I had called on him. Anyway, this went on and on. And while that was happening...

....there was this dude across the street and four doors down that let his dog bark non-stop from the time I got home from work (I still have no idea when it started in the day) until he got home from work and let it in around 10 p.m. Every single day. I left him a note and again, he didn't care. I called the city and went through this big ordeal of having to log the times of barking, etc. for 30 days. The dog still barked. So I moved.

Now in my new place (we moved here three years ago) all I can hear around me is bark, bark, bark, bark at all times. It's incredible. So I've just given up calling the city as they won't do anything. I talked to one of the neighbours about his constantly-barking dog and he just told me "dogs bark". I've given up. Dog owners totally don't care about the affect their dog has on other people.
Sounds like you have a problem with inconsiderate, a-hole neighbours, not with dogs.
MarchHare is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #87
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I have no idea how humans could hate dogs.

Dogs are a reflection of man, like no other animal on earth. Treat a dog with love and he will reward you with it back 100x over. Treat a dog poorly and expect the same in return. Dogs have been tied to man all through history.

I've had dogs my entire life, and can tell you that I prefer there company to most people. Nothing actually breaks my heart more then animal cruelty to dogs. (and all animals in general)

You posted some links of dogs attacks? Wouldn't even compare to the hundreds of thousands of abuses man has done toward dogs.

By the way if I saw you outside my car riling my dog up, I'd knock you straight out.
My issue is if you treat your dog poorly, I have to pay. With it barking, and crapping and potentially attacking me. If it was only a problem for you I could live with it, but if you treat your dog crappy everyone around you suffers.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #88
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My issue is if you treat your dog poorly, I have to pay. With it barking, and crapping and potentially attacking me. If it was only a problem for you I could live with it, but if you treat your dog crappy everyone around you suffers.
This is true of pretty much everything, everywhere.

If you want to live someplace where other people's problems, successes, and idiocies don't effect you, I suggest finding a nice secluded cabin somewhere in the Yukon.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #89
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Well you could say the exact same thing about people. What about the people that are raised poorly and become criminals? What about the people that due to upbringing cause pain and suffering in the world? I can't control that..

It is your right to hate them, but the exact same statements could be used about people.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #90
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Cities are for humans, not dogs. If I went to Africa and found a wild pack of dogs (I don't actually even know where dogs are from) roaming the plains, I'd be on their turf and they'd have every right to howl and eat me if they so chose. Calgary is the turf of humans, so we shouldn't have to put up with their poor behaviour.
But dogs are considered in city planning with dog parks, and by-laws in relation to the animals. They are a part of this city, and I am glad they are. I find the barking of a dog, a welcome sound in community. No different than the sound of the lawnmower I hear in the distance now, or the guy building his fence down the street. They are part of the sound of a city.

If you want to go by the who does this land belong to thinking, where we are now really belongs to Elk and Buffalo and Bears.... yes BEARS. And we all know how you feel about those.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...liminate+bears
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #91
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well you could say the exact same thing about people. What about the people that are raised poorly and become criminals? What about the people that due to upbringing cause pain and suffering in the world? I can't control that..

It is your right to hate them, but the exact same statements could be used about people.
I've used the "you're the product of your environment regardless of whether you're human/dog/cat/hamster" argument against Sliver in other threads before.. he ignored it then, I'm sure he'll ignore it now.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #92
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't recently, but yes, I would if the opportunity presented itself and I was in the right mood.

I'm not saying I like dogs; they're truly unlikeable, but I've done my best at sticking to the facts in this thread and I'll continue to do so. I've seen nothing from you except for an unfair dismissal of anything I say.

Discussing this topic with people with a pro-dog bias is like talking about reasonable gun control with NRA folk.
The thing is, you don't see that people like you are as big a problem as any dog owner out there.

You admittedly get dogs p.o.ed and riled up at a stranger, on purpose, and then get outraged when said dog escapes and bites a stranger. Not only that, you are teaching your kids an unhealthy fear of dogs, and I'm not saying you shouldn't teach them to know how deal with unknown dogs.

I know there are bad dogs and bad owners out there. I get that. My problem is you, and the media, fear-mongering when the chances of getting attacked by a dog are miniscule. Are there ways to cut down the incidents? I'm sure there is, but I'm pretty confident you don't have the answer.

Last edited by Zevo; 06-18-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #93
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But dogs are considered in city planning with dog parks, and by-laws in relation to the animals. They are a part of this city, and I am glad they are. I find the barking of a dog, a welcome sound in community. No different than the sound of the lawnmower I hear in the distance now, or the guy building his fence down the street. They are part of the sound of a city.

If you want to go by the who does this land belong to thinking, where we are now really belongs to Elk and Buffalo and Bears.... yes BEARS. And we all know how you feel about those.

I posted it earlier....but:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=70412
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #94
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Icon25

Quote:

You know, if people followed the bylaws and the bylaws were enforced there wouldn't be any problems. Dogs aren't actually even allowed to bark according to the bylaws. Just because you like the sound of barking doesn't mean everybody else does or should be subjected to it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #95
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You know, if people followed the bylaws and the bylaws were enforced there wouldn't be any problems. Dogs aren't actually even allowed to bark according to the bylaws. Just because you like the sound of barking doesn't mean everybody else does or should be subjected to it.
If people didn't speed, there wouldn't be accidents. You are not even allowed to SPEED according to the highway traffic act. Time to ban cars.

Just because you like the sound of dogs not barking, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to listen to barking dogs.

See where this is going? Stop while you are ahead. You will never win this war in your lifetime. And when humans have long since destroyed themselves, and dogs revert back to their natural forms of Dingo's, Wolves and Coyotes... etc. They will have the last laugh.... that is if dogs could laugh.... which they kinda do, by wagging their tail.

The DOGS will have the last WAG! Do you hear me Sliver!?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #96
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope I'm not Silver's neighbour cause I have a feeling he's the type of dick that would start poisoning dogs.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #97
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
I sure hope I'm not Silver's neighbour cause I have a feeling he's the type of dick that would start poisoning dogs.
I may dislike his view on dogs, but he's NOT a dog killer.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #98
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks man. It's true, I would never harm a dog or anything for that matter.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #99
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks man. It's true, I would never harm a dog or anything for that matter.
Would exterminating them, not be harming them? Be it bears or dogs?

It is a legit question. That was you standpoint in your DESS days.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #100
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:

Ideally, human criminals are removed from society.

When someone suggests that hey, maybe this person committed a crime because they had terrible parents, the answer is "awww, mommy didn't love him enough? Boo hoo hoo. Now let's see how he likes being raped by Bubba in the jailhouse for the next 8 years".

If a dog commits a doggie crime (biting a human), that logic doesn't apply. "He's not a bad dog, he has a bad owner".

I like dogs myself, but I figure if an unprovoked dog attacks or bites a person, the dog has given up his right to live with the people. Does that mean he goes to doggy heaven? Maybe. I don't know where else he's going to go.

That being said, I don't know if "breed bans" are fair either. What about "breed bans" for people? Know what I mean? Like if you want to own a pit bull or some other intimidating-looking dog, you have to be the right "breed" of person. You have to be of a certain age (at least 30). If you have tattoos on your neck, face, or head, you are out. You can have another kind of dog, but not that kind.

This would, of course, be hard to enforce and probably in violation of someone's civil rights, but you get the drift. If you want to own a certain kind of dog because you think it makes you look like a tough guy, you can't.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking