Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Hunh, just reading through this thread there are way more people working from home than I'd have expected. I wonder if that has anything to do with the 25% vacancy rate downtown?
Why pay a lease when most office jobs can be done from home? You're wasting a hour+ of your day commuting/getting ready for work. Paying more to eat lunches out of the office. Buying coffees. etc.

The cost savings for businesses is huge if you're able to downsize your office space and reduce your utilities.

The biggest challenge for me working from home is having "unlimited" food 20 feet away. It's way too easy to grab snack and my self control is terrible.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #22
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been working from home more and more frequently -- sometimes 2 or 3 days a week now. I personally love working from home. If I need to take a break, I'll go play or chat with my son if he is home (he attends preschool 3 times a week for 2.5 hours, otherwise is at home), or I lie down and listen to some music. I find I'm much more productive at home -- much fewer distractions. However, the last time I was in the office, a new staffer I did not recognize asked me when I started with the company. He thought I too had just started with the company.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm pretty well setup to work from my office, my home and I can even be mobile and work on my laptop (thanks Northland VW!) but I'm significantly more efficient at my office.

'Self-Control' is probably as good a term as any.

I can easily procrastinate.

"I'll just watch this soccer game and then get to work."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Web Cam Shows?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #25
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

It really depends on your personality, the type of job and your home environment. For me I'm fine going into the office for an hour per month to catch up. I'm very happy to be at home. I dont need much interaction with co-workers. I'm usually fairly quick at my job, so instead of being bored at work I can be at home doing something else. And I have a 43 inch, 4 in 1 monitor (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43...hd-led-monitor) and a keyboard/mouse switch that allows me to switch between home and work computers without a bunch of monitors or keyboards around.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

just on a side note, I filled in my last EI report today, there should really be a ceremony of some kind when you log in and tell them that you don't need to be a drag on society anymore.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
just on a side note, I filled in my last EI report today, there should really be a ceremony of some kind when you log in and tell them that you don't need to be a drag on society anymore.
Ahahahahahaha!!!!!

Government employees working for the unemployment office celebrating your impending employment?

You are literally taking work away from them, you are taking food directly out of their poor children's mouths and relegating them to some second rate community college!

The Government cares not for your success!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #28
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Congratulations!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:49 AM   #29
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I became a full time teleworker a couple years ago and I love it. I get the feeling of isolation from co-workers but I find that I chat enough on skype and attend a lot of meetings that I don't mind. The odd time people go out for a drink after work is so rare that I don't feel like I am missing anything anymore.

The best part is that I have flexible hours, I can start early in the morning so I can end early in the afternoon or sleep in and work late. Run to an appointment, work late at night to meet a deadline from the comfort of my home.

The most important thing I believe is getting that balance and being active. Breaking up the day with a run/gym or a lunch with a friend is huge. Just working straight, without some sort of break is the mistake I think a lot of people make.

With my job, I have really busy times where I work too much and it is easy to do when at home. When it isn't busy, it is easy to work shorter hours and feel less engaged. I don't have a dedicated office, my desk and desk chair are in a very active area of my house but there is no option for me to have an office. We have a small house for 4 people, 3 bedroom, no basement. So it is really the only option. I have a full sized desk, printer, two 27" monitors and some of the costs are covered by my company. I love it. I would never go back to working in the office, it isn't needed with the ability to share knowledge these days. Most of my project team work in another city.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #30
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Slightly unrelated to the thread topic but if a person was on EI for a couple months and then went back to work, can that person just stop filing reports and not collect any money or does the person have to formally close the claim?
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Slightly unrelated to the thread topic but if a person was on EI for a couple months and then went back to work, can that person just stop filing reports and not collect any money or does the person have to formally close the claim?

Closing the claim is the best thing to do because if you need to go back on EU that could effect how fast your new claim is processed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote