Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #281
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I think you missed the point where he clearly says it’s not about points
Unfortunately until hockey is actually played on spreadsheets, games are won with goals and points.

It's super duper that Bennett is doing other things and creating a bunch of chances he never finishes, but those are things that you would expect from a good 4th liner. This is hardly a player you marry yourself to.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #282
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Unfortunately until hockey is actually played on spreadsheets, games are won with goals and points.

It's super duper that Bennett is doing other things and creating a bunch of chances he never finishes, but those are things that you would expect from a good 4th liner. This is hardly a player you marry yourself to.
He is useful. Yeah they don’t need to marry themselves to him, but there are no obvious replacements in the system. And we have seen what happens when you go the UFA route for energy type players.

I like him playing for the team and continuing to work on his game while he is on a reasonable contract.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #283
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post

Sure. And there are a lot of guys in the league with 5 points that I would not trade Bennett for. Because the game is, as you say, not played on a spreadsheet.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #284
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Sure. And there are a lot of guys in the league with 5 points that I would not trade Bennett for. Because the game is, as you say, not played on a spreadsheet.
Nor would you be able to make any GM in the league with a very good player that only has 3 points so far this year in 17 games cough up his player for Bennett in a trade.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #285
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny a lot of people were raving a week ago about how Bennett was playing hard nosed and sticking up for his teammates; That this was needed on the team. But as soon as he misses penalty shot the same people jump right off the bandwagon again. Pretty sure if we traded Bennett we would be lacking toughness in the lineup, not to mention a lot of the other little things he does as a two-way player. Working with people developing them is the hard part trading seems to be easy. Some contend the solution to solve problems is to trade them away.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #286
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
It defs was working against the Canucks in the playoffs.... Albeit that was a whole ago

Regardless of points or anything though, I just think that his IQ ranks very low. I notice that he rarely makes the correct small plays that smart players make. Ie he passes when he should shoot and vice versa, half a second in front or behind, rarely looks for the trailer when it’s the right play. Compare him to Tkachuk, who makes the right play almost every time.

I’ve liked his game this year. I just don’t think he’s smart, and that limits him to a bottom six role. Which he can be effective at, and maybe very effective for that matter.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #287
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Funny a lot of people were raving a week ago about how Bennett was playing hard nosed and sticking up for his teammates; That this was needed on the team. But as soon as he misses penalty shot the same people jump right off the bandwagon again. Pretty sure if we traded Bennett we would be lacking toughness in the lineup, not to mention a lot of the other little things he does as a two-way player. Working with people developing them is the hard part trading seems to be easy. Some contend the solution to solve problems is to trade them away.
I think it comes down to Bennett is a beauty, people love him him. Just so frustrating to see him not break out.

It's the 7 steps of Greif

We have been through

1. Shock and Denial: OMG our highest Draft pick ever isnt a Superstar.Psh... he's just a late bloomer, had some injuries, he'll come around.
2. Pain and Guilt: We're not developing him properly. need more skilled players to play with. We failed him.
3. Anger: He Sucks, hes no good. Trade him. Should have traded him when he stkll had potential.

We started the season on:

4. Bargaining: Maybe hes a good 3rd line player who has grit and creates chances. Who knows he could break out someday.

And we are moving into:

5. Depression: If he only had some finish. I could accept a bottom 6 guy if he wasnt a top 4 pick. Why Sam, Why!!??

Soon to come

6. Working through; and
7. Acceptance.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 11-12-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 PM   #288
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I just spilled my coffee .
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #289
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Regardless of points or anything though, I just think that his IQ ranks very low. I notice that he rarely makes the correct small plays that smart players make. Ie he passes when he should shoot and vice versa, half a second in front or behind, rarely looks for the trailer when it’s the right play. Compare him to Tkachuk, who makes the right play almost every time.

I’ve liked his game this year. I just don’t think he’s smart, and that limits him to a bottom six role. Which he can be effective at, and maybe very effective for that matter.
Pretty accurate, IMO.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #290
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I think it comes down to Bennett is a beauty, people love him him. Just so frustrating to see him not break out.

It's the 7 steps of Greif

We have been through

1. Shock and Denial: OMG our highest Draft pick ever isnt a Superstar.Psh... he's just a late bloomer, had some injuries, he'll come around.
2. Pain and Guilt: We're not developing him properly. need more skilled players to play with. We failed him.
3. Anger: He Sucks, hes no good. Trade him. Should have traded him when he stkll had potential.

We started the season on:

4. Bargaining: Maybe hes a good 3rd line player who has grit and creates chances. Who knows he could break out someday.

And we are moving into:

5. Depression: If he only had some finish. I could accept a bottom 6 guy if he wasnt a top 4 pick. Why Sam, Why!!??

Soon to come

6. Working through; and
7. Acceptance.
Ha, this is so perfect.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote