Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #361
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Because Laff fans are cold from saving their places on Yonge St for the parade and need to blow some hot air?

They see a Lindros-type deal (only better)...
This is not to impugn you in any way, but there will never be anything like the Lindros trade. Teams have set far more importance on the value of prospects, draft picks, and young players to make another deal even remotely close to the one that Philadelphia cut with QC. The salary cap also has such a strong effect on trade-valuations that would pretty much make another deal like the Lindros trade impossible.

Maple Leafs fans and Oilers fans will be sadly, hilariously disappointed if they see the day that their franchise player is moved. The returns will be underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #362
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is not to impugn you in any way, but there will never be anything like the Lindros trade. Teams have set far more importance on the value of prospects, draft picks, and young players to make another deal even remotely close to the one that Philadelphia cut with QC. The salary cap also has such a strong effect on trade-valuations that would pretty much make another deal like the Lindros trade impossible.

Maple Leafs fans and Oilers fans will be sadly, hilariously disappointed if they see the day that their franchise player is moved. The returns will be underwhelming.
Cool.
Again, just the messenger (noting that Cox's idea of trading matthews is on Laff fans minds, not just his).

There is a big sign in front of the Laff fan clubhouse - leave your logic at the door.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #363
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Kind of like fans wishfully thinking they can get franchise players for their teams' 3rd line pluggers on massive deals.

We can all dream.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #364
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't looked but I imagine hf Oiler is figuring Lucic for Nylander is a pretty good deal. Or perhaps the Tenderness.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #365
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Haven't looked but I imagine hf Oiler is figuring Lucic for Nylander is a pretty good deal. Or perhaps the Tenderness.
One out of two actually. Even most Oiler fans realize Lucic has negative value however many also over there think RNH is more valuable than Nylander. I love reading that forum just for the utter ridiculousness of what some fan bases overvalue their players. My current favourite Oiler one is JP and Sekera for Toffoli.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #366
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
So I guess that's 2 votes "no" for trying to offer-sheet Matthews.
Four 1st rounders is kind of uncharted territory as there are few if any examples to use as a measuring stick. Really if you look at the Flames history of first round picks (not counting Atlanta) you can argue there's only 1 or 2 four year runs where it wouldn't have been a total home run for the Flames to make the trade. 1980-1984 and (MacInnis, Roberts, and junk) and 2013-2017 (Monahan, Bennet, Tkachuck, Valmaki). I would say if you make that trade and in the successive seasons finish low enough to where the Flames picked in 2013-2017 on average in the 1st round the GM and coaching staffs probably failed pretty bad. I lean to the belief that Matthews would probably be worth it and I could see a team sign him to an offer sheet.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #367
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could definitely see teams writing offer sheets to Matthews. Not so sure I see him signing one. He'll almost certainly want an eight-year deal, and nobody but the Leafs can offer him that.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #368
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I could definitely see teams writing offer sheets to Matthews. Not so sure I see him signing one. He'll almost certainly want an eight-year deal, and nobody but the Leafs can offer him that.
I could see him signing an offer sheet with an American market team. I'm still not so sure he's a fan of Babcock who's not going anywhere for a long time.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #369
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I could see him signing an offer sheet with an American market team. I'm still not so sure he's a fan of Babcock who's not going anywhere for a long time.

I think if you have to choose between Matthews and Babcock you fire Babcock and eat the salary. If you're the Leafs, you can afford it.

Completely off-topic, but can big-market teams (Toronto, NYR) do stuff off-book to entice players? Like, we'll only pay you 10 million but we'll buy your house and pay your property taxes?
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #370
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post

Completely off-topic, but can big-market teams (Toronto, NYR) do stuff off-book to entice players? Like, we'll only pay you 10 million but we'll buy your house and pay your property taxes?
No. That would be considered salary cap circumvention by the NHL.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #371
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think if you have to choose between Matthews and Babcock you fire Babcock and eat the salary. If you're the Leafs, you can afford it.

The big market teams dont have to pay off the books. They can just make introductions to all the big corporate company's in the city. They in turn will offer sponsorship contracts. Johnny T prob does high end car commercials and all sorts of stuff in Toronto.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #372
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
No. That would be considered salary cap circumvention by the NHL.

But how would they know? Most of these teams are owned by corporations that have other interests.

Can the NHL look at Rogers books outside of the hockey team to see what they're spending money on?
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #373
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not just cap circumvention, but indirect payments like that are taxable income anyway.

Otherwise, no “salary “ would ever get paid. All payment would be made off the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #374
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
The big market teams dont have to pay off the books. They can just make introductions to all the big corporate company's in the city. They in turn will offer sponsorship contracts. Johnny T prob does high end car commercials and all sorts of stuff in Toronto.
Compared to their salaries, the amount most NHL players can earn from endorsements is peanuts. According to Forbes, Sidney Crosby topped the list last season with $4.8 million. Only the biggest stars made more than a million.

Quote:
But how would they know? Most of these teams are owned by corporations that have other interests.

Can the NHL look at Rogers books outside of the hockey team to see what they're spending money on?
They certainly can and do. Even the bottom-grade minor pro leagues do that. The old United Hockey League had a team called the Danbury Trashers, owned by James Galante, who ran a garbage-collecting business. His company hired the Trashers' players (or their wives) to ‘no-show’ jobs to get around the salary cap. When caught, he was charged and found guilty of wire fraud, and forfeited the franchise.

Mind you, Galante was up to his eyebrows in organized crime, and was sentenced to 87 months in the slammer for a total of 72 charges. That certainly didn't help. But it wasn't the courts that revoked his UHL franchise; the league itself did.

For more about the glorious scum factory that was the Trashers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danbury_Trashers

Last edited by Jay Random; 11-15-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #375
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't wait until this Nylander fiasco is over with
Old 11-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #376
Calgary_81
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bump....1 yr bridge deal close to being finalized?
Calgary_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #377
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_81 View Post
Weird. If the rumour of them being 500 K apart was true, this seems like a potentially bad move by the player.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #378
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I can't wait until this Nylander fiasco is over with
I need his points for my hockey pool
Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 PM   #379
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_81 View Post
based on?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #380
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Disagree. If a player of Lindros caliber was available today as an ELC rookie he would pull in a massive return. If McDavid had decided to hold out he would have gotten a ridiculous return, if he held out as an RFA 20+ teams would have paid 4 x 1st's to offer sheet him. I put Lindros a tier above McDavid but Nylander isn't even close to either of them though.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote