Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #41
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a good bar to watch these NCAA games?

Buffalo Wild Wings has some great feeds but I can’t do their terrible food again
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #42
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Is there a good bar to watch these NCAA games?

Buffalo Wild Wings has some great feeds but I can’t do their terrible food again
You don't like their wings? Staple for me in the states. I didn't find the Canadian stores that much worse.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #43
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
You don't like their wings? Staple for me in the states. I didn't find the Canadian stores that much worse.
6/10 wings. Not terrible but barely above average wings, which is disappointing since wings is in their name. Everything else on the menu was just bad

I’ve given them at least 4 visits to wow me with their food and haven’t given anything to rave about.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 AM   #44
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The trick is you always have to ask for the wings wet or they half ass it on the sauce.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
According to a Buffalo Wild Wings cook who shared his experiences in a Reddit AMA, "The only items that aren't frozen, are wings which are very fresh, and our produce." He elaborated by saying, "The only prep that we do in-house is our produce: sliced tomatoes, diced tomatoes, pico de gallo; anything like that. Salad, burgers, boneless wings already come in prepackaged and or frozen."

https://www.popsugar.com/food/photo-...alo-Wild-Wings
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #46
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a road trip scheduled this year? I was able to cross off the Rose Bowl and the LA Coliseum last year, but would have been interested in this tripleheader:

- Fri Oct 26 - Utah at UCLA
- Sat Oct 27 - ASU at USC
- Sun Oct 28 - Green Bay at LA Rams

Something a little closer to home:

- Sat Nov 3 - Stanford at Washington
- Sun Nov 4 - LA Chargers at Seattle Seahawks
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #47
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
College football is funny like that. It probably has the highest number of lopsided games of any major sport, which is a natural byproduct of how they schedule and rank the teams.
It sure seems to me that the first 2 or so games of the college football season for most of the "top 25" teams are essentially pre-season or practice rounds, and for many of such teams, 3 or 4 of the games are intentional cupcake matchups.

It is shameful, really, but that is what the big-dollar donors demand so that their precious teams can keep up high win/loss records, and ESPN isn't going to press the issue either.

For example, look at Alabama's schedule this year. They play Louisville, Arkansas State, Louisiana Lafayette, and The Citadel. All strong programs, for sure.

Or look at other schools.

Oklahoma State plays Missouri State (who?) and South Alabama.

Kansas State (who, although not a top-25 team, is notorious for weighting their schedule to be virtually assured of a 6-win season) plays South Dakota and UT-San Antonio.

Georgia plays Middle Tennessee, Austin Peay, and UMass.

Wisconsin plays Western Kentucky and New Mexico.

These schools don't really want to play other talented, deep-bench, athletic schools. They don't want to take the chance that they might lose early or be exposed for the fraud that they really are.

It is shameful, really.

And yet the fans, donors, playoff ranking committee, and the like just don't seem to care and, perversely, reward the schools for such laziness and deck-stacking.

What should happen, in my view, is complete relegation, taking the top 48 teams and splitting them into 4 divisions, with 12 teams in each division.

Each team plays each other, starting from the first game of the season and going through to the end. Division champions play each other in playoff format, and the winner of each goes to the college football championship.

Teams that are sub 500 in each division gets dropped and replaced with teams outside of that year's top 48 that had at least a 7 or 8 win seasons.

That would make for exciting and competitive football, for every game and in every season.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #48
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’d love a set up similar to what you describe but it isn’t just shameful schedule padding that goes into those decisions to play minnows. Same reason perennial doormats stay in the power 5 conferences only to go 3-9 every season with no hope of ever becoming a quality program.

And that would be money. The Citadel is ecstatic for the opportunity to get destroyed by Alabama because that one game will be the largest source of funding for their program. It dwarfs all other sources of revenue for smaller, less prestigious schools. Same with a school like Vanderbilt getting embarrassed every year in the SEC. They have something like one season with a winning record in conference play in 30 years.

Believe it or not, such a change would be ,ost opposed by the smaller programs because they need the cash. For the big schools, playing top tier competition week in and week out wouldn’t actually be that bad. They’d probably make even more money.

A reduction by more than half of FBS teams would be devastating for some of the less prestigious football schools. And since universities in the US are run as a for profit business as much as they are as education centres, making less profit is not an option. Not to mention the prestige that having a top tier football program provides.

One last note, promotion and relegation wouldn’t work. Winners beget winners in college ball. Teams getting demoted would have issues recruiting and would have issues a with transfers and kids reneging in their commitments. Teams almost never drop from FBS to FCS to vice versa to move up.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-05-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #49
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger, your point regarding the money to be made by the doormat schools is certainly correct, but I take issue with the reduction of FBS schools resulting in less profitability for the schools.

As it stands now, most FBS schools do not make money. Cite: https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/...but_20_fb.html

Making even less money (and thus, losing even more money) might be good for such schools, as it would return the primary focus of the institution to education and not athletics.

Having football programs exist to, in large measure, get beat up on by other, richer schools hardly seems like an admirable or worthwhile endeavor. Yet such programs apparently are able to fill their rosters up with willing players, so what do I know?

In any event, my view of relegation is not a FBS/FCS split, and perhaps the relegation would occur over a period of years, such that if you have 3 losing seasons in a row, you get demoted to a non-championship division. Recruiting might suffer, but with scholarship caps, the most winning-est of schools can only take on so much talent, and the NCAA can put limit on the number of transfers allowed. Or we could just give up the whole "student athlete" fiction and start allowing schools to openly pay its players, and then let the free market work its magic.

In reality, there are only 15 or so schools that have a realistic chance of being the national champion in any given year, and the identity of those 15 schools don't change much. Why don't we just accept that fact and build the college football schedule (and associated divisions) around that reality?
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #50
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

, Kansas ends 46-game road losing streak, Kentucky ends 31-game losing streak to Florida, Colorado State scores 25 straight points in final 18 minutes to defeat Arkansas 34-27.
Florida State should have lost to an FCS school.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:12 AM   #51
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado spoils Scott Frost’s return to Nebraska with a late TD to complete the comeback. Texas A&M scores a late TD but cannot make the 2 pt convert to tie Clemson. Mark Lamb (Oklahoma) made an absolutely out of this world catch against UCLA but was just out of bounds. USF beats Georgia Tech in a shootout.

All in all a pretty entertaining day.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #52
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Colorado spoils Scott Frost’s return to Nebraska with a late TD to complete the comeback. Texas A&M scores a late TD but cannot make the 2 pt convert to tie Clemson. Mark Lamb (Oklahoma) made an absolutely out of this world catch against UCLA but was just out of bounds. USF beats Georgia Tech in a shootout.

All in all a pretty entertaining day.
Watched the USF vs GA Tech game and the 4th quarter of the Clemson vs Texas A&M game.

Pretty psyched about the USF win, I know its Tech, but still, besides UCF they probably wont play another good school. The back to back kick returns for TDs in the 1st and the the two forced turnovers in the 4th made it for them. Barnett doesn't look all that bad, considering its his third school and he's already into his graduate studies. They need to move up to a more competitive conference.

Felt that Texas A&M got robbed in the touchback call in the 4th.

Good Saturday.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 PM   #53
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rodney Anderson broke his leg his freshman year, neck sophomore year, now his knee his redshirt junior year. Poor kid can't catch a break.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #54
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Week 3 doesn't have a lot of compelling matchups but there are a few that might be of interest:

LSU/Auburn is probably the best one on paper. Game is in Auburn so give teh slight edge to them.

Ohio State/TCU - OSU has looked very good so far, will be a good test for TCU. 3rd straight season OSU has played a major Big 12 team so props to them for that. (and I am not an Ohio State fan)

Oklahoma State/Boise State - will be a good test for Boise State. Power 5 vs. one of the better group of 5 teams so there is some bragging rights there too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Week 3 doesn't have a lot of compelling matchups but there are a few that might be of interest:

LSU/Auburn is probably the best one on paper. Game is in Auburn so give teh slight edge to them.

Ohio State/TCU - OSU has looked very good so far, will be a good test for TCU. 3rd straight season OSU has played a major Big 12 team so props to them for that. (and I am not an Ohio State fan)

Oklahoma State/Boise State - will be a good test for Boise State. Power 5 vs. one of the better group of 5 teams so there is some bragging rights there too.
I think Auburn is going to hammer LSU.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #56
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

As if the first two weeks weren’t enough for Seminole fans to hate on Willie Taggart. What in the hell was that end of half clock management? My god that was embrassing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #57
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
As if the first two weeks weren’t enough for Seminole fans to hate on Willie Taggart. What in the hell was that end of half clock management? My god that was embrassing.
I think the Ducks got extremely lucky when Willie abandoned them.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #58
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Stoops defense has shown up for the 2018 season. These dudes can’t cover or tackle. Another long year ahead.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #59
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nebraska now 0-2 after losing to Troy. Troy and Colorado.

It should get better under Scott Frost, but for those who thought he could flip a switch, he can’t.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #60
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

FSU has now been held below 10 points in 2 games in both 2017 & 2018. Last time FSU held below 10 points twice in consecutive seasons was 1975 (went 3-8 under Darrell Mudra) & 1976 (5-6 under Bobby Bowden)