Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #321
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
It wasn't just the two weak goals that concerned me about Mike Smith's performance but every shot was a god damn adventure. He was flopping around like Billy Ranford in 1993. Always out of position.
he does have a tendency to exaggerate his saves. he would flop and throw his arms up and i look at the replay and its like a routine blocker save.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #322
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As bad as Smith has been, playoff Elliott was much, much worse.

Hopefully Rittich is ready to be the #1 now, he fell off completely after being made the starter last season.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #323
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I'd have a similar opinion except that I don't have any faith that they'll see this game as the wake-up call that it clearly is regarding Smith and make Rittich the starter.

I'm sorry I just don't. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do but I ain't about to hold my breath.
Rittich isn’t the answer. Which is why they keep going back to Smith.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #324
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine Peters running with Smith on Saturday. He had some really great saves (Flames still allowing too many high-percentage shots that go uncontested IMO - that absolutely needs to get fixed regardless of who is in net). That's the thing with being a goalie - you can be great all night, but the moment you let in a single stinker, you had a bad game. Feel bad for him, but he just can't start Saturday's game, especially since it is against a divisional rival.

Compounding the issue is a lack of offence. Getting that many shots on net and not scoring is too eerily reminiscent of last season. Teams simply don't win too many games in this league 1-0 and 2-1 any longer.

Hope Rittich starts and the team finds ways to score on Saturday.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #325
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never used to mind the habs... wow has that changed. Domi, Drouin, Shaw- what a pack of rats. Domi’s grin drives me insane. I would just want to punch him in the face repeatedly if I were playing against him. Another inexcusable goal by Smith. No nhl goalie should let that in. Backlund’s penalty could not have been been at a dumber time. Though, I just saw a close up replay and it was REALLY satisfying to see that little rat Drouin eat some lumber... was in full trash talk mode and not expecting that at all. Maybe save that when it isn’t a one goal game Backlund?
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #326
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #327
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal I was at this game with a customer who cheers for the Habs. We bet $40 on the game and I feel that Smith owes me that money. He also let in a bruta goal in SJ when o was in attendance. Flames played well but this game is all on Smith
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #328
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Missed periods two and three but annoyed at seeing the shots at 45 to 22 flames but 3-2 Montreal. Bull effing crap.

Can we stop going back to the guy who is costing us and give a chance to the young goalie fresh off a shutout with top 5 numbers???? Smith doesn't have a future here beyond this season. Rittich might.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #329
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Rittich isn’t the answer. Which is why they keep going back to Smith.
I would argue he is the answer, and least for now. Rittich has been lights out in just about every start he's had this year, and he's more than earned a shot at being the #1. Peters needs to start him at least 2 or 3 games in a row so we can see if he can really take the reins.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #330
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I was at the game tonight. Team played well. Smitty did not. It looked like he was punching at everything. Overplaying the shots instead of letting them come to him. Sigalet said something similar when interviewed after the game.

I still don’t think Smith is done. He’s struggling right now, no doubt. If it’s mental then I think he can shake this. In the meantime, start Rittich. No choice.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #331
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I would argue he is the answer, and least for now. Rittich has been lights out in just about every start he's had this year, and he's more than earned a shot at being the #1. Peters needs to start him at least 2 or 3 games in a row so we can see if he can really take the reins.
Agreed... hard to evaluate whether he's the answer when you bench him, even after stealing games.

He's 5-1 after six starts and 1.91 GAA and a .935 Sv percentage.

Smith has had his chance to play himself out of his funk... it hasn't worked. Time to play Rittich for a stretch to see if he can be the answer...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #332
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

How about an ATL on Smith?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #333
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Steinberg.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #334
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Poor Steinberg.
Hahah who is this dwayne guy?!? Lol - is this guy from edmonton?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #335
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I was at the game tonight. Team played well. Smitty did not. It looked like he was punching at everything. Overplaying the shots instead of letting them come to him. Sigalet said something similar when interviewed after the game.

I still don’t think Smith is done. He’s struggling right now, no doubt. If it’s mental then I think he can shake this. In the meantime, start Rittich. No choice.
And that's exactly why Rittich should be getting starts right now while Smith works out these "punching" issues in practice - where it doesn't do any harm.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #336
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Send Smith to Stockton.

Temporarily call up Schneider to be the backup while Gillies and Parsons are hurt. Start Rittich, bring Gillies up when he's healthy.

That goal against was perhaps the worst effort I've seen relative to the score and game that I have seen from an NHL goaltender. That was a get this guy off the team now type of goal against.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #337
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

1-3 in our last four, most of which we should have won.

This one was pure goaltending - and a bit of missing finish around the net. Otherwise Montreal didn't deserve to win this one, which makes me feel better.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #338
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith has lost the room. I was at the game tonight so obviously I didn’t get the tv vantage so maybe I’m wrong, but I did t see a single player come over and give Smith a Pep talk or even look in his general direction. I’ve never seen that before on the Flames.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #339
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm now sure how Smith can be played for the Drouin goal... Gaudreau should've had the puck along the boards, and it was scrambly from there. He made the save he needs to make, but got caught on the rebound.

The last goal was absolutely brutal, of course.

The first goal is one Smith has been letting in this season, but I've seen other goalies failing to squeeze the arm too, I wonder if it's an equipment change issue.

Regardless, Smith has looked a bit spastic for a long stretch, going back into last year... it's on the coaches that he keeps getting the starts over Rittich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlayfulGenius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #340
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Smith has lost the room. I was at the game tonight so obviously I didn’t get the tv vantage so maybe I’m wrong, but I did t see a single player come over and give Smith a Pep talk or even look in his general direction. I’ve never seen that before on the Flames.
hamonic went over after goal 2
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote