Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2018, 10:53 PM   #41
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

03-06 he was best on the planet-good.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #42
Propagandist
Lifetime Suspension

We would be sc favorites if he was on our right now in his primo.
Propagandist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #43
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
To this day I still think Kiprusoff's play in games 5 and 6 of the Detroit series in 04 is the best goaltending I will see from a Flames goaltender. The Flames won 3 of 4 games with a defence of Regehr second year Leopold and Andrew Ference pretty much having to play 40 minutes each. The Flames had no business being in that series let alone winning it.
Ill never forget the way he shut the door after going down 4-0 to Vancouver in game 6 (I think). He was just stone cold and you could see it in his face that he was just like "nope, not again."

Van ended up winning in triple overtime, but it was still an unbelievable performance.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #44
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I grew up watching Miikka when he played for my hometown team, TPS. He came into the league and I remember thinking this guy will never be any good, weak glove and just weak all over the place.

We had two really good goalies at that point in Jani Hurme and Fredrik Norrena (and team- TPS won 5 championships in the 90's) so he went to Sweden for a couple of years. When he came back he looked completely different. I still wonder that happened during those two years in Sweden, he looked amazing and dominated the Liiga the year he came back.

I always thought he didn't get a fair shot in SJ because of Nabokov. He was the most dominant goalie I've ever seen play in the Liiga (and the reason why TPS won in 1999) so I thought it would be just a matter of time before he would be a starter in the nhl.

And yeah, he's the reason I'm a Flames fan. heh
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #45
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt in my mind he should be in the Hall of Fame. And certainly needs his jersey hanging from the rafters, why hasn't this happened yet??
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #46
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Great article but I had always heard Sutter really wanted Toskala and when he wasn't available from SJ he "settled" on Kipper.

Crazy if true.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny - for all those years we had a stud number one and couldn't find a decent backup to lighten his load at all. Now here we are with a failing number one and seemingly a really good backup.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Funny - for all those years we had a stud number one and couldn't find a decent backup to lighten his load at all. Now here we are with a failing number one and seemingly a really good backup.
Its the nature of the game.

We also had one of the best wingers in the game for years and couldnt find him a decent centre to play with and now we've got real depth down the middle and are floundering for RW help.

Just remember the Flames Fan Mantra:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the one thing that stood out for me from the 2004 playoff run, was how it seemed that everytime kipper had a bad game, he would follow it up by being incredible.

and by bad game, I mean a good game for an ordinary goalie

I tried to practice the scorpion with my son; however, my son complained about pucks hitting the back of his legs. I told him to quit being a snowflake and that is why he will never be in the show