Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #12281
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You could even move Monahan to the wing.

Gaudreau - Eichel - Mangiapane
Monahan - Lindholm - Dube
M. Lucic - Backlund -

Elite center depth IMO
Mangiapane and Dube in the top 6 is pretty sad tbh.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #12282
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ so (a) you don’t think Monahan is good enough to play wing on a top 6 line and (b) you think they should trade Monahan plus some picks or prospects for Eichel (seeing as how there’s no other top 6 players out of your lines - heck, Lucic is the only other top 9 player missing).
Old 05-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #12283
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Mangiapane and Dube in the top 6 is pretty sad tbh.
Mangiapane in the top 6 is sad? What are you talking about?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #12284
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If you think he's top 6 (or top line) material, that's your opinion. My opinion is that he's a good 3rd liner on a good team.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #12285
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Let’s add a couple wingers for the top six as well. Maybe Kucherov and Stone.
This is why the Flames are in a tough spot. They need to either fleece a GM or find hidden gold somewhere. If the Flames can’t find a way to create 2 high quality lines without giving up a Tkachuk, then this team might as well sell off everything and rebuild. I have no interest in retooling as another one line team that slots poorly and struggles to get out of mediocrity. Being the Buffalo Sabres of the West is not good end goal.

I just think there has to be a standard in place and if the standards just cannot be met, then start over until the standards are met. This should be non-negotiable, otherwise we just stay good, but never great.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #12286
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Mangipane and Dube are slotted a line to high but with Eichel and Lindhoml as centers that might not matter as much.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #12287
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If the Flames pull off a deal for Eichel just put Lindholm back at RW
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 12:04 PM   #12288
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, he’s only the best even strength producer on the team.

And Dube in the top six is just a product of development. Wasn’t the Sam Bennett lesson that you need to give the young skilled guys some minutes in the upper half of the roster? Even if it means you live with the inconsistency and mistakes for a while? Dube is hands down the fastest guy on the team, he has grit and a really nice shot. He also only one less even strength goal than Tkachuk with five fewer games and 5 minutes less per game. I think he can produce well with more time on ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 12:09 PM   #12289
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically Calgary is already missing a top 6 forward.

There is no way we will win a bidding war for Eichel without including one of our current top 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #12290
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
^^ so (a) you don’t think Monahan is good enough to play wing on a top 6 line and (b) you think they should trade Monahan plus some picks or prospects for Eichel (seeing as how there’s no other top 6 players out of your lines - heck, Lucic is the only other top 9 player missing).
Do you know for a fact that Monahan will be an quality NHL winger? Like I said earlier, we can’t be wrong next season, there’s just no room for error. I don’t know what Monahan is as a winger and experimenting that idea is actually kind of a scary though. Can Monahan play with enough pace to check effectively as a winger? Can he cut east-west? Can he make the important plays along the boards to create quick transitions? Can he blow the zone with enough speed to create breakaway opportunities?

What I do believe is the Flames need an upgrade at #2 center. So if Monahan is used as part of the piece to upgrade, then yes that would be perfect. Ideally I’d like Jack Eichel because I think he’s talented enough to drive his own line even with a couple new UFA linemates. Having him play against second pairings would also be a benefit to him. Mangiapane probably could slot as the #2 LW with Eichel, but I personally like him with Backlund and together, they’d make a quality 3rd line.

If the name of the game is slotting, than I like the way those pieces slot.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #12291
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
This is why the Flames are in a tough spot. They need to either fleece a GM or find hidden gold somewhere. If the Flames can’t find a way to create 2 high quality lines without giving up a Tkachuk, then this team might as well sell off everything and rebuild. I have no interest in retooling as another one line team that slots poorly and struggles to get out of mediocrity. Being the Buffalo Sabres of the West is not good end goal.

I just think there has to be a standard in place and if the standards just cannot be met, then start over until the standards are met. This should be non-negotiable, otherwise we just stay good, but never great.
I think if you only lose Tkachuk, you can put together a couple really nice lines, with or without Monahan. I think Mangiapane is legit. So you’re looking at Gaudreau-Eichel, Mangiapane-Lindholm or vice versa. As long as your RW isn’t a scrub like Ritchie, you can do it. Dube can be one, Monahan (or a RW obtained for him) can be another. Toronto makes it work with Hyman. The Avs use Donksoi - he had 31 points which is only a couple more than Monahan who had a terrible year. Boston uses Craig Smith. Or trade Monahan for a slightly cheaper RW.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #12292
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you know for a fact that Monahan will be an quality NHL winger? Like I said earlier, we can’t be wrong next season, there’s just no room for error. I don’t know what Monahan is as a winger and experimenting that idea is actually kind of a scary though. Can Monahan play with enough pace to check effectively as a winger? Can he cut east-west? Can he make the important plays along the boards to create quick transitions? Can he blow the zone with enough speed to create breakaway opportunities?

What I do believe is the Flames need an upgrade at #2 center. So if Monahan is used as part of the piece to upgrade, then yes that would be perfect. Ideally I’d like Jack Eichel because I think he’s talented enough to drive his own line even with a couple new UFA linemates. Having him play against second pairings would also be a benefit to him. Mangiapane probably could slot as the #2 LW with Eichel, but I personally like him with Backlund and together, they’d make a quality 3rd line.

If the name of the game is slotting, than I like the way those pieces slot.
Well, no I don’t. But I think he can be traded for one which would do if that’s preferable. But you are not getting Eichel for Monahan as the main piece going back, no matter what rationally considered prospects or picks you add.

I know you hate Monahan and love Lindholm Tkachuk and Gaudreau. But for Eichel you are going to lose one of those three guys.

Who doesn’t love slotting the way you have it. But that is never going to happen. Plus, you don’t get Eichel and not have him play with Johnny Gaudreau.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #12293
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If the Flames pull off a deal for Eichel just put Lindholm back at RW
I suppose it could work, but who plays the #2C spot then? I love Backlund, but without Tkachuk, he’s better off as an elite #3C. Dude just doesn’t have enough finish or pure playmaking ability to be reliable scoring pivot.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #12294
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mangiapane is close to graduating to an everyday second liner or already has. Pretty sure he's producing over 0.5 PPG.

Edit: yup, 30 points in 54. Near a 25 goal clip.

Mr. Bread is legit.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #12295
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose it could work, but who plays the #2C spot then? I love Backlund, but without Tkachuk, he’s better off as an elite #3C. Dude just doesn’t have enough finish or pure playmaking ability to be reliable scoring pivot.
Monahan
Old 05-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #12296
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, no I don’t. But I think he can be traded for one which would do if that’s preferable. But you are not getting Eichel for Monahan as the main piece going back, no matter what rationally considered prospects or picks you add.

I know you hate Monahan and love Lindholm Tkachuk and Gaudreau. But for Eichel you are going to lose one of those three guys.

Who doesn’t love slotting the way you have it. But that is never going to happen. Plus, you don’t get Eichel and not have him play with Johnny Gaudreau.
Like I’ve said many times already, I don’t hate Monahan, but there needs to be a certain level of intellectual honesty with him. Without Gaudreau or comparable playmaker, he's going to struggle to find ways to score goals and if he’s not scoring, then he’s not doing much else. I’ve already said as well that I think he still has value on the trade market. There’s always teams looking for center.

We’ll just have to see if there’s a trade to be made as I’ve heard Buffalo has liked Monahan in the past. So we’ll see how things unfold. But I’m only interested in creating a team that can get to the next level, so that’s my standard regardless of how unlikely it is to actually happen.

Lastly, I think Gaudreau and Eichel would work very well together. But I also like the idea of having 2 elite play drivers on 2 separate lines. If one line is shut down one night, then hopefully the other one can pick up the slack.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #12297
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
If you think he's top 6 (or top line) material, that's your opinion. My opinion is that he's a good 3rd liner on a good team.
What teams have an entire top 6 that doesn't have a player of Mangiapane's ability or lower?

The Bruins have Craig Smith in their top 6. The Avs have Donskoi. TB has Killorn. These are the deepest teams in the NHL. Mangiapane is easily on the level with these guys, and may have more potential. Mangiapane is already playing at a 20 goal and 45 point pace, while still not being in the top six every night. That's very solid production, given his ice time and everything that's gone on with the team this year.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #12298
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Andrew Mangiapane's 5v5 ranks this season:

Goals: 13 (Flames: 1st, NHL: 25th)

Goals/60: 1.11 (Flames: 1st, NHL: 42nd)

Primary Assists: 11 (Flames: 1st, NHL: 28th)

Primary Assists/60: 0.94 (Flames: 1st, NHL: 42nd)

Points/60: 2.06 (Flames: 1st, NHL: 83rd)

ixG: 8.16 (Flames: 3rd, NHL: 82nd)

ixG/60: 0.7 (Flames: 5th, NHL: 108th)

iSCF: 97 (Flames: 2nd, NHL: 61st)

iSCF/60: 8.31 (Flames: 4th, NHL: 84th)

iHDCF: 48 (Flames: 2nd, NHL: 37th)

iHDCF/60: 4.11 (Flames: 2nd, NHL: 51st)

Mangiapane produces at a first line rate in every possible category you could imagine, including points/60 despite having 0 secondary assists on the season.

Not only that, Mangiapane dominates analytically and has among the best impacts both offensively AND defensively.

This last part isn't directed at you specifically because there's many people on this forum who still underrate Mangiapane, but I find it funny that even now there are still some people who grossly underrate how great of a player Mangiapane is.

- Produces goals at a first line rate
- Produces primary assists at a first line rate
- Produces points at a first line rate
- Dominates analytically
- Fantastic impacts offensively
- Fantastic impacts defensively

I mean, I guess you could say he falls a lot, but besides that, what more could you ask for?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #12299
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Monahan
So who plays with Monahan then? We saw him with Mangiapane and that duo left a lot to be desired. Are there any elite playmaking wingers on the market this summer because I think that’s what Monahan will need to get back to his previous scoring ways.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #12300
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So who plays with Monahan then? We saw him with Mangiapane and that duo left a lot to be desired. Are there any elite playmaking wingers on the market this summer because I think that’s what Monahan will need to get back to his previous scoring ways.
Gaudreau-Eichel-Mangiapane
Dube-Monahan-Lindholm

Or switch Mangiapane and Dube

Monahan and Mangiapane had Ritchie on the other wing, which caused exactly the same issues as when Monahan and Gaudreau had him.

Or who knows - maybe Zary is ready. Maybe Pelletier can make a leap.
Closed Thread