Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #12241
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
The biggest thing about trading for Eichel at this point is his injury. How bad is it and what are the chances he gets back to playing at an elite level? Its a herniated disc right? That stuff is no joke. Can he even return next year? What's the timeline. Seems like this summer will be lost cuz he's probably not going to be training hard.

I would trade Tkachuk + 1st. Would not trade Zary. Give them Kylington. I don't think anyone is offering more than that for Eichel at this point given his injury status. You'd be buying him at his lowest value as a player.
I think alot of teams will access the injury and deem it not worth the risk, so if your Calgary you willing.to trade a core player, a top prospect, and 1st round pick for a player that may never be the same again....not worth the risk, if the team is that desperate, just maybe they are not that good to begin with, time for a rebuild
Old 05-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #12242
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I said 2 years ago they played together 3% of Tavares time and scored no points. They had zero time on a line last year. You don't have to believe me - go look it up on Dobber.
Alright, this trivial nonsense is just going around in circles here so let as clear as I can, I really don’t care if this team loads all its best players on one line because quite frankly, the last month has been the best stretch of hockey I’ve seen this team play all season and the new top line has its fingerprints all over the strong play. That’s why Darryl continues to play them together and has played them a lot.

If people are fretting over this team stacking one line, than the real problem is more so about Treliving’s inability to build better forward depth. The right wing is an absolute abomination and it’s a massive reason why the team has been so inept offensively this season.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 05-17-2021 at 08:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #12243
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I see the top pairing being Hanifin and Tanev and whoever has played with Tanev this year has been the best Dman on the team. He is the anti-Hamonic in that fashion. Andersson is a lock on the second pair so I am looking to replace the number 4 guy not the number 1 guy. Edler for a year who is getting pushed by Valimaki is something I can live with for a season
I believe you’ve got it flipped around though, Gio is currently the #1 guy, not the #4. Sutter’s breadcrumb of clues all but confirms that Hanifin is his #4 guy. I forsee a pairing of Gio and Tanev once again being this team’s #1 pairing next season.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #12244
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Stop trading away our drafted centres!

It’s been the key piece to every cup team in memory.
Isn’t the key piece to winning the Cup about drafting the best centers though? The Flames have drafted a lot of centers and the work of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski didn’t take the team too far. I haven’t seen much of Zary personally I’ll admit, but if he turns out to be just another ok center that the Flames slot abnormally high which then fools management into thinking they have a contender, then I say trade Zary for an upgrade as quick as possible.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:05 PM   #12245
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

As good as Zary is, I don't see him being more than a #2C, at least not on a contending team. That's not a bad thing, it is what it is.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #12246
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

You certainly don't give Zary away but if he tips the scales to get Eichel that is a different story

Again, you could tank for 10 years and not get an Eichel
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 PM   #12247
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how Backlund's trade value compares to Sean Monahan's.

Backlund is 32, has 31 points in 52 games, has has 3 years left at 5.350 mill.
Monahan is 26, has 28 points in 50 games, and has 2 years left at 6.375 mill.

Although Backlund is streaking during the season, he's remarkably consistent on a year-to-year basis. His production has been basically the same for 6 straight seasons.
He is probably a more effective player than Monahan by any metric and would probably make almost any team better.

I don't know how much of a factor age plays, because neither contract has a ton of term left.

I almost wonder if other teams would rather have Backlund than Monahan, despite Backlund's age.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #12248
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with all of that. But Hanifin just hasn't shown a lot that tells me he has 40-50 points in him. He's a great skater, and can move the puck, and this year he's turned a corner defensively. But his shot isn't great and his offensive zone instincts are on the conservative side. Maybe he's just not been let loose enough - I don't know. But Sutter isn't likely to encourage him to do so either.

Hanifin quietly had 10 points in 21 games under Sutter, and only 3 in 24 under Ward.

I don't think 40+ points is unrealistic for Hanifin over a full season, especially if Gio is gone. He hasn't hit his prime yet, likes the faster pace that Sutter wants the team to play with, and Sutter obviously likes him a lot with the PP time he was getting.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 03:26 AM   #12249
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I wonder how Backlund's trade value compares to Sean Monahan's.

Backlund is 32, has 31 points in 52 games, has has 3 years left at 5.350 mill.
Monahan is 26, has 28 points in 50 games, and has 2 years left at 6.375 mill.

Although Backlund is streaking during the season, he's remarkably consistent on a year-to-year basis. His production has been basically the same for 6 straight seasons.
He is probably a more effective player than Monahan by any metric and would probably make almost any team better.

I don't know how much of a factor age plays, because neither contract has a ton of term left.

I almost wonder if other teams would rather have Backlund than Monahan, despite Backlund's age.

It’s an interesting question. I’m not sure if their offence should be fairly compared, as Monny has gotten the lions share of offensive opportunities over the years.

Today, I think it’s Backlund, because he is healthy,his production has been consistent, and he’s a 200 foot player.

Monny is not healthy, some of his injuries may be chronic, he’s not a great 200 foot player, and the one thing he has excelled at, he no longer excels at, as his production has decreased over the last 3 years.

But that age difference is huge. If Monny shows any ability to rebound, it immediately tips the scales in his favour.

It’s why I think Monny is off the table in trade talks until he proves himself healthy and productive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2021, 04:51 AM   #12250
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Edit
Old 05-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #12251
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Isn’t the key piece to winning the Cup about drafting the best centers though? The Flames have drafted a lot of centers and the work of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Jankowski didn’t take the team too far. I haven’t seen much of Zary personally I’ll admit, but if he turns out to be just another ok center that the Flames slot abnormally high which then fools management into thinking they have a contender, then I say trade Zary for an upgrade as quick as possible.
I mean, did anybody KNOW what Bergeron and O’Reilly were before they played in the NHL??? Drafted waaaaaay after Zary.

But yeah, he ‘could be Jankowski’. Hell of a point.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 05-18-2021 at 05:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #12252
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I mean, did anybody KNOW what Bergeron and O’Reilly were before they played in the NHL??? Drafted waaaaaay after Zary.

But yeah, he ‘could be Jankowski’. Hell of a point.
Or Aho.....
Old 05-18-2021, 06:32 AM   #12253
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Or Aho.....
Point, Barzal…
Old 05-18-2021, 07:06 AM   #12254
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Jankowski. There's a better chance of mid pick turning into a Jonko than a Point.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #12255
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Oh Jankowski. There's a better chance of mid pick turning into a Jonko than a Point.
Yup.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #12256
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

All draft picks are a gamble but there is usually a top tier in the draft and those players usually go on to either be stars or regular NHL players. Sometimes later picks will become stars but you have a better chance of getting good young players when you draft higher. Sure the Flames want to "play the right game" after being eliminated but what does that really get you? For once, I'd like to see the Flames move up in the draft instead of always moving down and getting a player that the other teams pass on.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:14 AM   #12257
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-...lames-tkachuk/

Sabres blog proposing

Eichel+Risto
For
Tkachuk+Gaudreau
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #12258
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, sure?
Old 05-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #12259
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would leave us with no top 6 wingers unless Monahan or Backlund is moved for one.

Don't hate it though. Eichel>Gaudreau/Tkachuk>Ristolainen
Old 05-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #12260
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

From searching Twitter and reading some forums and blogs it seems like most Sabres fans would absolutely love to get Tkachuk back as the centerpiece of an Eichel trade
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread