Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
At least give one of the parks rinks or community rinks a shot! Stanley is good, but I like the one on 19th st nw near confederation park golf course.

Out of curiosity, where is this rink? I was by the golf course and saw a bunch of skiing but didn’t see a rink on 19th. What intersections would it be near / between?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just off 10th st.

https://goo.gl/maps/T4NdiH6BzsxH5nRN8
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2020, 09:05 PM   #23
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Ah, ok. We were there last night, even helped the hosers with some scraping. The bottom sheet is in pretty good condition
Old 11-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #24
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like Saturday night could be fairly cold, I'm currently thinking plop the liner in Saturday afternoon and fill to within 2 inches of the top of the frame anywhere that condition is met around the perimeter. That would leave me a bit of space to work with for resurfacing freezes. (If anyone thinks that's a bad idea or would do it differently from their experience please post!)
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Looks like Saturday night could be fairly cold, I'm currently thinking plop the liner in Saturday afternoon and fill to within 2 inches of the top of the frame anywhere that condition is met around the perimeter. That would leave me a bit of space to work with for resurfacing freezes. (If anyone thinks that's a bad idea or would do it differently from their experience please post!)
You really only needs 4-6 inches of ice for skating (it leave you some thaw room). If you want to use pucks for passing, shooting and fun, having some boards above the ice is important, especially with little kids.

I wouldn't over fill it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #26
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Are any good (decent even) outdoor public rinks ready to skate on yet?
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #27
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
Banff trail is just about ready to go.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post

Wildwood (North of Bow Tr on 45 St) has good ice

Another big sheet beside the rink

Very good ice. They have a zamboni!
Old 11-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is mine from a few years ago.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #30
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flood in progress:

The kids are excited. We spent the afternoon at Rosemont rink to get them in the skating mood. Rosemont was relatively busy and in good condition.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a few brilliant hours, you have a kiddie pool ice dip challenge. Don't waste this!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #32
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For a few brilliant hours, you have a kiddie pool ice dip challenge. Don't waste this!
You know, my eldest got the same idea and very nearly had my youngest in the drink before I intervened.

I suppose it's no shock that water would turn to ice on a night like this (-7C at time of writing), but it's fun seeing it happen.

One other note for those who may be following this thread with the intention of doing something similar - I am glad I got the 10 inch wide boards. When I stopped the flood it was 3 inches deep at the shallowest point and 6 1/4 inches at the deepest. I'm not going to regrade my yard for a rink like this and the underlying snow was too compacted to do much with when I laid the frame down; perhaps what I thought of as slightly over-engineering the frame might actually be the price of half-assing the surface prep.

As I was flooding today it made for an interesting opportunity to discuss surface tension of water with my kids. That got me thinking about maintenance, especially when temperatures get seriously cold. With a rink this small I could move a few pails of water onto it rather than go through the hassle of draining the hose (my garage is unheated). If I did that, I'd have the opportunity to mix in a few drops of dish soap to break the surface tension and hopefully get a smoother surface. Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

Last edited by RoadGame; 11-29-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #33
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never heard of using dish soap before but flooding with hot water is recommended; for something small I think you can get away with using a bucket. EDIT: Sound like opinions vary on using hot versus cold water... I'm not sure it matters that much.

P.S. I'm not sure the entire rink will freeze in one go -- obviously the top layer will freeze but I'm not sure if one night at -7 is cold enough to do the whole thing. The forecast is looking pretty mild this week as well but don't be discouraged if you have to wait a little longer -- the setup looks solid and it will be cold soon enough!

Last edited by tvp2003; 11-29-2020 at 07:24 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:46 PM   #34
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Set up the Garden as a rink, first year building one as the kids (3,5,6,8) are old enough to enjoy it now. Garden is about 25x50. Set up a net since this picture was taken too.

Biggest tip would be make your area is level or compensate for it with the containment. Had about a foot of water/ice on one side and 4" on the other. Im farther north and its been set up for about 2 weeks now and the kids are out almost every day.

Project for next year will be boards!

Last edited by Samonadreau; 11-29-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #35
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
P.S. I'm not sure the entire rink will freeze in one go -- obviously the top layer will freeze but I'm not sure if one night at -7 is cold enough to do the whole thing. The forecast is looking pretty mild this week as well but don't be discouraged if you have to wait a little longer -- the setup looks solid and it will be cold soon enough!
We have a 2-3 inch layer of (smooth, transparent) ice as a result of last night. All I can do now is wait as you suggest! Hopefully we make incremental progress daily with it going below zero every night. Happily my backyard is very well shaded this time of year so that should help mitigate sunnier days. Thanks for the encouragement! I was a bit concerned this morning when I realized the freeze phase would take longer than expected.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #36
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is this actual City policy now, or just a couple of isolated complaint-driven events?

Today:

Weekend:
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #37
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Flood in progress:

The kids are excited. We spent the afternoon at Rosemont rink to get them in the skating mood. Rosemont was relatively busy and in good condition.
Looks great! I too live in an 25' infill and was contemplating doing this. You'll have to let us know how useable the size of the rink is - that's the only thing holding me back.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:42 AM   #38
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Is this actual City policy now, or just a couple of isolated complaint-driven events?

Today:

Weekend:

Organized private gatherings are limited to 10 as far as I understand but the large public outdoor rinks are fine for more people

As much as you can sympathize with the person complaining, rules are set, lines have to be established, and not every whiny bitch’s exception should have to be critically evaluated

Just follow a pretty darn simple rule and you have nothing to complain about. Especially somewhere like Alberta where they have really been pretty lenient. It has only been a few days, and a vaccine is on the way
Old 12-01-2020, 12:47 AM   #39
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Banff trail is just about ready to go.

Banff trail is downgraded to a mess. A couple of feet from the near boards, almost entire length of the rink, looks like a river at spring breakup

It hasn’t been tended to in days and with the Chinook, and the general lack of progress by the rink volunteers, it is more likely days to weeks away
Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 AM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we will have more wadding pools than rinks for the foreseeable future:

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html