Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #21
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One time back in my early 20s I was traveling Australia. I was broke and ended up with a job as a “Carnie”. I was working on a ride. We had to dismantle the ride and pack it into the truck. Then it would be moved from Brisbane to Adelaide. About a 12-14 hour drive I believe. I had no way to get to Adelaide since I was broke. So I hitched a ride with the truck driver. I was wearing cords. I had no other pants. And the seat it the truck was a bench with a stiff spring base. So, a long drive that involved an accident and an unexpected nights stay in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere. When we reached Adelaide my nutsack was chapped from bouncing on the bench seat and rubbing gently agains the inside of my trousers. The next day I had a scab beginning to form on the lower side of my scrotum. It was excruciating and there was nothing I could do. I tried moisturizer and it almost put me to tears. I waddled around for a few days only when necessary. It was so painful and uncomfortable I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. NEVER, I mean NEVER LET YOUR SCROTUM GET CHAPPED!!
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #22
johnnyrocket03
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Icy hot patch a little too high up on my inner thigh due to hockey injury. The patch works both ways fellas, it doesn't just go in where you put it, it comes out too.

I stood in the shower for 20 minutes washing vigorously and pointing my hips towards the water. There were also onions in that shower, my eyes were watering due to the onions...I swear...
johnnyrocket03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #23
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burns hurt pretty bad. I was in my late teens and I worked at KFC. I was cleaning the deep fryers and I had one shutdown and empyting. I put my hand on the bar between the one I was cleaning and the one that was still in use. My hand slipped off that bar and into the deep fryer that was still in use. Amazingly my hand didn't get burned, but the grease that splashed onto my chest hurt. I had about half a dozen blisters on my chest from the splashing grease. A couple of them looked like somebody put out a cigarette on my chest.

Avoid grease burns!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Burns hurt pretty bad. I was in my late teens and I worked at KFC. I was cleaning the deep fryers and I had one shutdown and empyting. I put my hand on the bar between the one I was cleaning and the one that was still in use. My hand slipped off that bar and into the deep fryer that was still in use. Amazingly my hand didn't get burned, but the grease that splashed onto my chest hurt. I had about half a dozen blisters on my chest from the splashing grease. A couple of them looked like somebody put out a cigarette on my chest.

Avoid grease burns!
I remember similar instances working in a kitchen and accidentally grazing my hand against a deep-fryer basket and having those checker-board burns.

I remember one day when the kitchen was getting a new and improved fire suppression system and I was working in the back doing prep while they installed it and when they were done we were getting the grand tour.

"With this new fire-suppression system, do you know what to do in case a deep fryer catches fire?"

Yeah. Run like hell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #25
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had a lot of injuries and burns and breaks and all that. But the worst pain I have ever been in was the head ache from meningitis. Just so brutal.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #26
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have two that come to mind, the first was when I blew out my shoulder.
It happened during a baseball game. I was involved in a collision at 2nd, which resulted in a broken collar bone, torn ligaments and separated shoulder. The worst of the pain came when I rolled over on that shoulder while writhing on the ground, and it popped back in. I ended up requiring surgery several years later as the damage to the socket resulted in numerous separations.

The other was in Junior High, one of my optional classes was Mountain Biking, and for the year end, we rode a trail from Canmore to Banff. The ride was a few hours, and about half way through, I hit a downed tree, and went over the handle bars, unfortunately, I did not let go of said handlebars, and the bike followed suit, flipping over, and landing directly on top of my chest. Seeing as we were in the middle of a mountain trail, and not wanting to be the reason everyone had to stop and wait for emergency personnel to find us and cart me away, I got back on my bike, and finished the ride into Banff, where one of the chaperones then took me to the hospital. X-rays revealed 4 broken ribs. I don't recommend riding a bike with broken ribs, especially on a bumpy mountain trail.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #27
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gallstones.

Had attacks for months and ended up going to the emergency room a couple times, sitting there for hours, only to be told it was heart burn and given ever stronger heart burn medication. The last time I ended up puking on the floor of the hospital. If it wasn’t for the angelic old nurse practitioner who diagnosed it, I would have knocked out the doctor who was still saying heart burn.

Gallbladder attacks ####ing hurt.

Last edited by Murph; 01-19-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #28
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:

Avoid grease burns!
I worked at KFC in high school and the amount of grease burns I would get was way to high. I remember my coworker spilling hot grease all over his wrists one day while dumping used oil.
Spoiler!

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #29
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Making salsa with my wife a long time ago. I was in charge of cutting up the jalapenos. Welp after a couple of beers I needed to use the facilities. Washed my hands and used the washroom. The pain is still a bad memory.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:22 AM   #30
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not my story, but my girlfriend grabbed the saran wrap and started pulling her hand across the thin grated serated cutting edge by accident almost out of it and sliced her thumb in half.

Also, I was in an emergency room one night and say a person who meat sliced his finger off.... ugh.

Great thread. Should be called The Pain Train make your Stomach Queasy.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 01:26 AM   #31
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Gallstones.

Had attacks for months and ended up going to the emergency room a couple times, sitting there for hours, only to be told it was heart burn and given ever stronger heart burn medication. The last time I ended up puking on the floor of the hospital. If it wasn’t for the angelic old nurse practitioner who diagnosed it, I would have knocked out the doctor who was still saying heart burn.

Gallbladder attacks ####ing hurt.
They didn't do an ultrasound for a pain in the right stomach area? What if it was appendix inflammation? Sounds awful. I had gallstones discovered when I was 29 during a random ultrasound done for a different reasons. For about ten years I did nothing about it even though I read that attacks are very painful. Then I had a gallbladder attack, which frankly wasn't as painful, as I imagined. I called emergency and told them I had a gallbladder attack, so they gave me a shot in the rear, which killed the pain. Then they took me to hospital and removed the gallbladder a couple of days later.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:52 AM   #32
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine was without a doubt when I got my wisdom teeth out. I had to get all 4 at each corner of my mouth taken out. They had to break my jaw in multiple places. I remember waking up face down on the operating table in a world of pain. I remember the nurse telling my Mom that my surgery was one of the more difficult surguries they had ever performed and it was going to be a rough couple weeks. The real fun started over the next couple days.

I remember laying in bed in tears, angry at whatever God was willing to listen to me, at the pain they had caused me and wondering why the hell pain like this is even necessary for a living being. I ran out of T3s really quickly and never got given any other painkillers. Eventually turned to marijuana and it helped a bit, but still painful AF.

Would never wish that pain on my worst enemy.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #33
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Nm wrong thread
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #34
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've passed a few mid-sized kidney stones before.

Had a surgery to remove some others that had formed. They left a stent in the pee tubes... attached to a string that stuck out the end of my.... had to leave it for a few days. Anyway, the worst feeling for me was the first pee after the procedure- literally pissed blood, and then those few days latter the act of pulling the string and the 2ft long stent out my pee hole. I couldn't muster up the courage and had to ask my wife to yank me free. Ouch.

I'd rather do all that again than get some dust in my eye. Eye stuff makes me squeamish.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I've passed a few mid-sized kidney stones before.

Had a surgery to remove some others that had formed. They left a stent in the pee tubes... attached to a string that stuck out the end of my.... had to leave it for a few days. Anyway, the worst feeling for me was the first pee after the procedure- literally pissed blood, and then those few days latter the act of pulling the string and the 2ft long stent out my pee hole. I couldn't muster up the courage and had to ask my wife to yank me free. Ouch.

I'd rather do all that again than get some dust in my eye. Eye stuff makes me squeamish.
Gah! I had a scheduled cystoscopy and made it about 5 minutes before I told them F that. They had to reschedule and put me out for it. I can't image what you had to go through.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:06 PM   #36
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The mere thought of passing a kidney stone makes me weak.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Avoid grease burns!
I have a similar story cleaning a deep fryer at Earl's. There's a small hole at the bottom where the grease empties out of, and you use a steel bar to break it free when it gets clogged. I was hammering on the bottom of the deep fryer, when the clog cleared and my hand went all the way into the fryer.

I put it in water immediately. It initially did not hurt that badly, but that night the pain became intense. I drank a micky of Vodka to get to sleep. The next day a layer of skin pealed off like a glove.

I've also horribly burnt myself searing steaks in a wok. Got the butter incredibly hot and put the steak in, and the butter splashed onto me, while I was shirtless. Ended up with about 3 dozen dime sized burns all over my body and face. The skin turned totally black at each small burn. About 3 days later they started coming off, and bleeding underneath. A couple of them on my side you could see down into some white layer. I went to the doctor. They said that since the burns were all very small they would heal on their own without grafts. Thankfully, I don't scar easily.

I'm very careful to put my steaks down facing away from me while searing now. I usually wear a shirt now too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote