Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #21
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I like this roster move. Czarnik didn't want the bottom six RHS job, mine as well give someone else a shot.
He was playing quite well before he got hurt. Bad timing for him. Hope he gets another crack at it at some point.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #23
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Makes sense before the oilers games. Decent fighter. Solid player too. One of Johnny's best friends. Looking forward to seeing him play. Get Lomberg back up and him Rinaldo and Lomberg would be a real throwback #### disturbing line.

Just makes me wonder what the oilers will do to counter a little. These kind of minor league fighter call ups before a big game usually go tit for tat.

Thankfully peluso is on an ahl only deal as hes the only guy they have in Lucia's weight class
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #24
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league hasn't had a 'guy out of nowhere' story in a while. Maybe this will end up being our Nick Foligno. If he gets any time. Which he won't. Fun erased.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #25
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Makes sense before the oilers games. Decent fighter. Solid player too. One of Johnny's best friends. Looking forward to seeing him play. Get Lomberg back up and him Rinaldo and Lomberg would be a real throwback #### disturbing line.

Just makes me wonder what the oilers will do to counter a little. These kind of minor league fighter call ups before a big game usually go tit for tat.

Thankfully peluso is on an ahl only deal as hes the only guy they have in Lucia's weight class
Plausible deniability. We did it for the St. Louis game...he was great in practice so we kept him around...
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The league hasn't had a 'guy out of nowhere' story in a while. Maybe this will end up being our Nick Foligno. If he gets any time. Which he won't. Fun erased.
Fingers crossed. With the scoring drying up so much, I'm really quite eager to see what some of these PPG AHL forwards have to offer / can do here. What the hell is there to lose, and if you can find scoring internally somehow then your farm system is serving a purpose, which it should.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:02 PM   #27
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let’s wait and see if he actually gets into a game before getting ahead of ourselves.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #28
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

*Not Bill Peters approved
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 01-26-2020, 05:22 PM   #29
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero chance this is this guy's real name. I bet this dude killed a guy under his true identity and is on the run.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Zero chance this is this guy's real name. I bet this dude killed a guy under his true identity and is on the run.
"Buddy" if that is your real name...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #31
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems to be a good of a place as any, to ask this question :

There always seems to be players that receive preferential treatment, mostly for underlying skills or stats, and that does make some sense. But there are other players who are less skilled, but just flat out produce. They are never given a real chance.

Buddy Robinson has worked on his game, and gone from a sub .5pt/g player to around a .75p/g player. Lots of intangibles and a right handed right winger. There are a lot of examples of players actually getting better when put in a game with a faster pace, but you never really know how a player will react until they are put in a game.

Buddy is up, but does anyone actually think that he will be given a chance to play? I don't.

And this isn't a hockey thing, it's something that happens in all sports. Multiple players who have roughly the same effect on the outcome of a game, but some players are given a long leash, and some are labeled as a failed experiment. Is it all politics?

From a Bluejays blog :
Quote:
There are a lot of things I don’t understand about baseball. One of those things is why Derek Fisher gets multiple chances and why guys like Alford and Dalton Pompey (or for that matter Urena) don’t seem to get the same chances.
https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2020/...anthony-alford

In my estimation, Alford is better than Fisher, but he's nearly out of baseball.

Is it wrong to think that Robinson might be better than Reider, if given the same opportunity? He has shown nothing but progression and work ethic.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #32
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Skating ability.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #33
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
This seems to be a good of a place as any, to ask this question :

There always seems to be players that receive preferential treatment, mostly for underlying skills or stats, and that does make some sense. But there are other players who are less skilled, but just flat out produce. They are never given a real chance.

Buddy Robinson has worked on his game, and gone from a sub .5pt/g player to around a .75p/g player. Lots of intangibles and a right handed right winger. There are a lot of examples of players actually getting better when put in a game with a faster pace, but you never really know how a player will react until they are put in a game.

Buddy is up, but does anyone actually think that he will be given a chance to play? I don't.

And this isn't a hockey thing, it's something that happens in all sports. Multiple players who have roughly the same effect on the outcome of a game, but some players are given a long leash, and some are labeled as a failed experiment. Is it all politics?

From a Bluejays blog :

https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2020/...anthony-alford

In my estimation, Alford is better than Fisher, but he's nearly out of baseball.

Is it wrong to think that Robinson might be better than Reider, if given the same opportunity? He has shown nothing but progression and work ethic.
I hear what you are saying and tend to agree.

Sometimes players get labeled and aren’t given a fair look because the report is already out on them and they have maxed out in the eyes of the decision makers.

I also think it is unfair because Robinson might provide more than Rieder or Jankowski can.

I say give him a look cause we have 3 guys rotating in and out of the lineup alread6 anyways.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #34
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Skating ability.
He's big, but seems to get to the right places on the ice. Has anyone seen him play, and does he get lost on the backcheck because of his skating?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #35
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Robinson has intriguing agility for such a big man, but he's never been able to put it all together at the NHL level. A lot of big players have a problem accelerating, but Buddy has good acceleration. Perhaps that energy burned accelerating keeps him from playing the whole shift at full speed?

Last edited by sempuki; 01-26-2020 at 05:51 PM.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #36
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep wanting to call him Buddy Repperton. I have seen Christine too many times.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #37
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Flames have scheduled an evening practice tonight at 6:30.

Not reading anything into it, just thought it a bit unexpected.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #38
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Thanks Mr. Narwhal.
Not your buddy pal...
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #39
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Why would Tkachuk want or need extra days off?
McDavid inspired Tkachuk to put on a herculean performance at the all star game. Prior to the game, McDavid pulled Tkachuk aside and parted some wisdom.

"Let's go" McDavid mumbled, as he shone his signature $1.98 grilled cheese of a smile.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #40
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1221605703695003648

On the ice already in Calgary for a very optional practice that started at 6:30PM. Very odd time for a practice
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote