Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #4541
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
A bunch of Studio Ghibli movies just showed up on Netflix!
We watched Pom Poko on the weekend and I'm not sure how to describe it. A totally weird mix of hilarity, insanity, and a deeper message. The music is still stuck in my head. Also, hands down the best use of testicles ever used in cinema. I give it 10 balls out of 10.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #4542
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I watched Fire Saga on the weekend. When was the last time Will Ferrell made an actual funny movie? I do love a lot of his stuff, but this was just...nothing. Outside of him making fun of Americans, there weren't really any laughs in that movie. Music was okay though.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #4543
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Late bump on this one. Just watched this last weekend. Incredible. One of the best zombie movies in a while.
The book is really good as well IMO
Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #4544
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Studio Ghibli stuff is on Netflix!
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #4545
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since there is kind of an overwhelming amount of Ghibli stuff, I'm making two recommendations Princess Mononoke & Spirited Away

Both are more adult orientated films and represent Ghibli at the peak of their ability and between the two of them they cover most of the themes and style that Ghibli is known for. Mononoke is a brutal and violent story about a young man seeking redemption who finds himself in a clash between nature, gods and human development. Spirited away is much more whimsical movie about a young girl who loses her parents and finds herself in a massive bath house for spirits. It's harder to describe since it isn't very plot driven, but is filled with great characters, scenes and settings.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #4546
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Marcella; some plot gaps but definitely kept the themes from the first two seasons. There are a few almost unwatchable intense scenes.

Also finished the Fire Saga movie. I thought that it was one of the better recent Will Ferrell movies. Edinburgh geography was a bit off, but I enjoyed seeing my old flat onscreen for a few seconds. Other than the statues, it could almost have been a G rated movie. No real baddies, but it was okay.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #4547
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
I watched Fire Saga on the weekend. When was the last time Will Ferrell made an actual funny movie? I do love a lot of his stuff, but this was just...nothing. Outside of him making fun of Americans, there weren't really any laughs in that movie. Music was okay though.
Ugghh.....there is over 2 hours of my life that I will never have back.

I was 50 minutes into thinking they were about to start the final act....then somehow they wedge another hour of movie into the plot.

This move would have been so much better if they'd cut the runtime down by about 45 minutes. It would have concentrated the zanier bits. There was a solid hour of weird melo-drama in bad fake accents that was totally unnecessary.

How the %^&^ is Fire Saga getting average to good reviews?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #4548
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else see the whole Unsolved Mysteries reboot? I tuned into the first episode and without Robert Stack's haunting narration, it's not the same as I remembered it as a kid. I like documentaries though, so I'll probably watch the rest. First episode indicates it's a documentary with the Unsolved Mysteries title and music...and that's it for the connection. No narration.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #4549
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Anyone else see the whole Unsolved Mysteries reboot? I tuned into the first episode and without Robert Stack's haunting narration, it's not the same as I remembered it as a kid. I like documentaries though, so I'll probably watch the rest. First episode indicates it's a documentary with the Unsolved Mysteries title and music...and that's it for the connection. No narration.
Loved that show when I was a kid. Such vivid memories of watching that just on the over the air channels as a kid in rural Alberta. Robert Stack’s narration was probably the scariest thing I remember.

I just did watch the first episode and hearing that music brought back the memories. It is more documentary like but I enjoyed the first one. Hoping for some extraterrestrial ones I can watch with my kids to give them the same experience I did.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:43 AM   #4550
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

That damn unsolved mysteries music brought me back to being 10 years old and terrified...then they added a silhouette of Robert Stack's head to the intro just to top it off.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #4551
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Robert Stack episodes are on Prime. I've been rewatching them. They've even been updating mysteries that have been solved since the episodes stopped airing.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #4552
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I binge watched Unsolved Mysteries yesterday while doing work. They aren't as good as the original but I was disappointed there were only six episodes. I would have liked to have seen more than one supernatural episode.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #4553
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did Dark fans think of season 3?

it was really complicated, in a good way... they didn't answer all the questions i wanted answered, but generally they were just small things...i had a few questions tho...

Spoiler!

Happy with how it ended though - the only other answer was ending it after the end of Ep 7 or shifting that to Ep 8 and using 7 to develop a little further the transformation of character arcs.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #4554
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am late to the party and watched episode 1 yesterday. Got me pretty excited to finish off the story.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #4555
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The documentary #AnneFrank Parallel Stories on Netflix is just excellent. Highly Recommend.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #4556
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
The documentary #AnneFrank Parallel Stories on Netflix is just excellent. Highly Recommend.
It’s in my list. We have a fascination with her story and it was amazing to visit their house.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #4557
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #4558
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I might watch that...
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #4559
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unsolved Mysteries is really interesting but so frustrating. I’m dying to know that these cases get solved somehow eventually.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #4560
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

So, no Peter Cullen, no Frank Welker, no Gregg Burger, no Michael Bell, no Corey Burton, no Dan Gilvezan, no Neil Ross, no Jack Angel, no Charley Adler, not even a John Moschitta Jr. to do a Blurr cameo like in Animated.

Who the hell is going to watch this junk!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I might watch that...
Ugh, you would!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post: