Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #3741
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Use all the CGI you want, Robert DeNiro, AL Pacino and Joe Pesci still move like 80 year old men. Watched an hour of it last night and could never get over it, honestly don't know if I can finish

Seeing DeNiro confront a store owner at one point was downright laughable.
Yeah that one scene with DeNiro was a little funny to watch. Overall though I thought it was a great movie.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:50 AM   #3742
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't believe how crappy netflix has become. Sure, there are some hidden gems on there but for the most part they haven't added anything that good for a while. With the launch of Disney+ you'd think that they would step up their game to keep everyone from jumping ship. I'm waiting for them to put out something good but every day it just seems like more and more of the same stuff.

I'm really disappointed in what they have to offer, maybe its just me.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #3743
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think it’s a sign of the times with each streaming service being watered down.

Disney was good for about a week but outside of Mandalorian, there’s nothing there to hold my interest long term.

Prime is mostly awful b movies and rarely add any content that is anything but awful. They have a few good series but I can watch 8 episodes in about a week.

Netflix hasn’t released hardly any must watch series and seem content with pumping out quantity vs quality.

I’ve actually spent more time on crave recently watching South Park, Castle Rock and other HBO stuff. Although their new movie premieres have been terrible recently. I can’t remember the last time they added a good movie, outside of Green Book.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 AM   #3744
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Netflix has Paw Patrol, Octonauts, Abbey Hatcher, The Wiggles, PJ Masks, Kiko & Super Speedo, Super Wings, Robocar Poli, so needless to say, it provides us with hours upon hours of high quality entertainment.

Especially Kiko & Super Speedo. It's simply amazing how they can make a cartoon with such awful dubbing that the words don't remotely match the characters talking.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:30 AM   #3745
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Netflix has Paw Patrol, Octonauts, Abbey Hatcher, The Wiggles, PJ Masks, Kiko & Super Speedo, Super Wings, Robocar Poli, so needless to say, it provides us with hours upon hours of high quality entertainment.

Especially Kiko & Super Speedo. It's simply amazing how they can make a cartoon with such awful dubbing that the words don't remotely match the characters talking.
you got it. until my daughter outgrows the kids shows, Netflix seriously rocks.

storybots is another awesome netflix cartoon. she's learned a lot from that one.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #3746
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I guess it all depends on your taste in their productions.

The Crown S3 was just released and I enjoyed it. The Irishman came out a couple days ago and has Oscar buzz around it. Patriot Act is back with weekly shows and is always great. The King was solid, if a bit slow.

October had Big Mouth S3, El Camino, Peaky Blinders, The Laundromat, Daybreak.

December has 6 Underground (Michael Bay/Ryan Reynolds), Lost in Space S2, The Witcher, Marriage Story and more comedy specials.

I think we might start seeing fewer seasons of TV released all at once and dripped to us like they're doing the Mandalorian. People binge a show and say "what's next?" so Netflix scrambles for content. Shows like Mindhunter would last 2 months instead of me killing it in 2 days. Even if they release 2 episodes per week we'd still get an entire series in a month.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #3747
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

I think we might start seeing fewer seasons of TV released all at once and dripped to us like they're doing the Mandalorian. People binge a show and say "what's next?" so Netflix scrambles for content. Shows like Mindhunter would last 2 months instead of me killing it in 2 days. Even if they release 2 episodes per week we'd still get an entire series in a month.
I had never really thought about that, but so very true.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:24 AM   #3748
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the real issue showing up is that with the variety of streaming services people cant be reliant on one service for all of their content because every proprietor is hoarding their own stuff.

So if you're binging things then of course you're going to be disappointed with the lack of constant new content.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 AM   #3749
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Streaming execs have already figured out that dropping all episodes at once just encourages short-term subscriptions. We are absolutely seeing a return to the traditional release schedule of an episode a week.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #3750
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I honestly can't believe how crappy netflix has become. Sure, there are some hidden gems on there but for the most part they haven't added anything that good for a while. With the launch of Disney+ you'd think that they would step up their game to keep everyone from jumping ship. I'm waiting for them to put out something good but every day it just seems like more and more of the same stuff.

I'm really disappointed in what they have to offer, maybe its just me.
Disney+ is getting a little overrated here. Sure The Mandalorian is great but if you aren't big into re-watching movies they don't have a lot to offer. To get my money's worth I have re-watched some of the marvel and Star Wars movies and all that's done so far has showed me that those movies don't age well. Stranger Things is the most downloaded show of the year then you have shows like Dark, Mindhunter, Black Mirror, Love Death & Robots, Russian Doll, etc. IMO the biggest issue with Netflix is that there's just so much stuff presented that the bad stuff gets in the way of the average person finding the gems to which there are plenty.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #3751
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Netflix is the one service that holds my attention. Ktrain had a good list above but it doesn't include Mind Hunter S2, The Toys that Made us, the new World War II in colour series, Bikram Yogu documentary, Final Space, the Devil Next Door. Keep hearing great things about the series Dark as well.

This is all fairly recent too.

Last edited by Rando; 11-29-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #3752
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it all depends on your taste in their productions.

The Crown S3 was just released and I enjoyed it. The Irishman came out a couple days ago and has Oscar buzz around it. Patriot Act is back with weekly shows and is always great. The King was solid, if a bit slow.

October had Big Mouth S3, El Camino, Peaky Blinders, The Laundromat, Daybreak.

December has 6 Underground (Michael Bay/Ryan Reynolds), Lost in Space S2, The Witcher, Marriage Story and more comedy specials.

There’s definitely some good stuff but I remember the good old days when there was literally something interesting, combination of tv shows and movies, being added to Netflix 10+ times a month. Maybe more. First of the month would have a massive dump of new and old movies/tv shows.

Now we get 1 or 2 good movies (Irishman and King we’re both only ok) and 1 new original series every month or two.

When Netflix was the aggregator of tons of networks and studios it felt like we got so much more. Now they’re just another premium channel with a few hours of good programming for the same price.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #3753
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Mind Hunter S2...the new World War II in colour series
Both of those are superb and worth the money when Netflix has stuff like those two.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #3754
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Irishman was good. Really, really good. I can imagine the pacing being a problem for some, as would be the runtime, but I found it enjoyable and interesting throughout. It was good to see Pesci on screen again, and I thought De Niro gave a fascinatingly authentic performance. I don't know how else to describe it. That said, Pacino knocked it out of the park as Hoffa. Best performance in the film to me.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #3755
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Ozark, Narcos, Stranger Things, Glow, Black Mirror, Umbrella Academy, Sex Education, End of the F***ing World, Altered Carbon and Haunting of Hill House. Mindhunter and Russian Doll were mentioned.

They've had some great ones that have ended if you haven't caught them. Bloodline, Love, Easy, American Vandal, Making a Murderer, Sense8, The OA, House of Cards, Wet Hot American Summer.

There are a bunch of great documentaries too. Too many to list.

Netflix is still the best value of the services out there. HBO is probably closest with its back catalog. When/if we get Hulu with Disney+ it would be comparable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #3756
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ozark, Narcos, Stranger Things, Glow, Black Mirror, Umbrella Academy, Sex Education, End of the F***ing World, Altered Carbon and Haunting of Hill House. Mindhunter and Russian Doll were mentioned.

They've had some great ones that have ended if you haven't caught them. Bloodline, Love, Easy, American Vandal, Making a Murderer, Sense8, The OA, House of Cards, Wet Hot American Summer.

Netflix is still the best value of the services out there. HBO is probably closest with its back catalog. When/if we get Hulu with Disney+ it would be comparable.
But Netflix sux tho!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #3757
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

Stuff like House of Cards hasn’t been good for several years and the new season was downright unwatchable. I also don’t disagree that it’s the best value, although Crave is better overall, but only if you’ve never seen a bunch of the HBO/Showtime catalog. But as someone who has subscribed for quite a few years, I’m interested in content I’ve never seen.

I also think you perfectly made my point. You listed quite a few shows and I’d give a whole bunch of them a meh to it’s ok rating. I’d only consider a few of them top quality content.

Compared to the good old days when Netflix was getting the best shows from what seemed like every channel out there plus adding a ton of movies, it was superior. They had heir choice of the cream of the crop.

Now they are flooding us with quantity over quality.
Old 11-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #3758
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Compared to the good old days when Netflix was getting the best shows from what seemed like every channel out there plus adding a ton of movies, it was superior. They had heir choice of the cream of the crop.
In the 'good old days' House of Cards was HBO quality. I agree that it went off the rails. Crave/HBO definitely has better shows but they've also been doing original programming since the 90s. If you've watched all the old stuff, is Crave really producing that much more/better than what Netflix is producing now?

What other originals would you say are better than what I listed? What other shows did they have access to that were better in the 'good old days'?

I didn't list the Marvel shows because, while I enjoyed them, they were hit and miss.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #3759
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was all to be expected though. Content costs money to create. Especially good content.

So in the end we should all expect to pay the same as we were before cord cutting started.

Netflix was subsidized by VC money and other rights holders undervaluing their content. Now that people understand the value Id expect to pay the same 60-100 per month to get the channels you want.

This past 5 years was the anomaly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #3760
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Disney Plus in Canada have adult Fox or FX shows like It's Always Sunny?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote