Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #261
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
This thread has me banging my head off the wall, less than a year ago we were starting to ramp up interest for a new season and how our dynamic leading scorer could improve on his 6th place overall 99 pt season, now, after a poor season where nothing went right we have wannabe GM's trading him for bits,pieces and scraps.

For the love of god people, leave the trade game to the real GM's and go back to your play stations and Xbox's.
No discussions allowed on a discussion forum!!!
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #262
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Its just that its a whole thread just for Johnny trades. It's kind of weird. Im not bent out of shape in any way though and i know there's not much else to talk about.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 09-18-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #263
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No offense but gross.
That deal absolutely reeks indeed of a total quantity for quality deal with nothing of real long-term or short-term value coming back. It's basically the Phaneuf deal all over again.
Well it breaks down as Gaudreau for Alexander Wennberg, Josh Anderson, Kevin Stenlund, Emil Bemström, Dean Kukan

Putting into terms of Flames players

Wennberg -- no Flame equivalent not as good as Backlund , better but different than Ryan

Josh Anderson - Flame equivalent Bennett before the playoffs Anderson would have been a much safer bet of getting 40 NHL points than Bennet and still might be.

Bemstrom - Flame equivalent Valimaki... both out of the 2017 draft both with 2 more ELC years both looking like solid NHLers at age 21. Bemstrom no AHL time at all.

Stenlund - Flame equivalent Jankowski Big guy to replace Jankowski on bottom 6 doesn't play big. Coming off his rookie year so would have some more potential/hope than Jankowski

Kukan - 27 year old journeyman fighting for a roster spot with Kylington

So Gaudreau for Valimaki and Bennett and Wenneberg

My guess that the Flames would want a Gaudreau level player back for any package that included their best NHL ready prospect with a high top end so It might be somewhat more reasonable than the Phanuef deal.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #264
Knut

Exp:

You are adding a bunch of players that you cant protect for the expansion draft with that Columbus deal. At most you want to add one roster player back.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 12:49 PM   #265
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had some down time, so here is my response to post #253:

Buffalo: This has been beaten to death, but we all know that Cozens or 8th OA would have to be in the deal. Since E. Staal was recently acquired, I would think that 8th OA would be more on the table than Cozens (Cozens probably will play bottom 6 minutes to get acclimated) - 2020 BUF 1st + Ristolainen (RD) + 2021 2nd (BUF) for Gaudreau (LW) and Jankowski (C)

Seems like an underwhelming return, but a future top 4 with Valimaki - Risto and Hanifin - Andersson would be a great top 4 for the next 5 years (at minimum, and assuming we re-sign Risto).

Montreal: Domi (C/LW)+ 2021 MON 1st/2nd (if MON makes playoffs, 1st, if not, 2021 2nd) + 2022 2nd/3rd (2022 2nd if MON misses playoffs in 2021, 2022 3rd if MON makes it in 2021) + Primeau (G) for Gaudreau (LW).

Primeau is going to waste his prime behind Price, signs point to Domi wanting out, and the Flames can get a prime pick IF Montreal make the playoffs in 2021. If not, a top goalie prospect, a C/LW that has a great edge in his game, and two 2nds is a decent return for an elite winger with 2 years left on his deal.

Detroit: Hard to find a realistic scenario for a team that is on the rebuild, but here it goes - Mantha (RW) + 2020 2nd (DET, basically a late 1st) + Hirose (LW/RW) for Gaudreau (LW) and Parsons (G).

This is contingent on assuming that Mantha wants to start winning RIGHT NOW, but he's also said in the past that he was accepting the rebuild in Detroit. If it wasn't for Mantha, then there would need to be Hronek+ or Anderssen++ instead of Mantha.

Ottawa: There are so many prospects to choose from with Ottawa, so I did it based on needs - 2020 1st (NYI) + Batherson (RW) + L. Brown (C)/Norris (C) for Gaudreau (LW) and Kylington (LD)

Probably the easiest deal of the bunch, Ottawa gains an elite forward to help with picks #3 and #5, and also the rest of the crew that Ottawa will deploy. If in fact Ottawa dealt with Calgary for Calgary's top end winger, Calgary would benefit from a 2020 1st and 2 grade A prospects from Ottawa. This would be a retool for Calgary, but if there was ever a need for NHL ready prospects, you look at Ottawa's farm system.

Florida: This is one that I found most difficult because these two don't look like good trading partners. So, I went with a big blockbuster: Gaudreau (LW) + Monahan (C) + Hanifin (LD) for Huberdeau (LW) + Barkov (C) Stralman (RD). This deal would require all 3 from Florida to remove their NMC/NTC's, but for the sake of this thread let's just assume that all 3 waive for Calgary.

Simply put, we are giving up the better defenseman for the better forward duo. Barkov, Huberdeau, and Lindholm have what it takes to be a dominant line in the NHL. The Flames lose out on Hanifin, but this benefits Florida in the sense that they are getting the potential top pairing defender in Hanifin to play with Ekblad. Plus, a grade 'A' coach like Quenneville would whip Hanifin into shape. And, they only downgrade their offense by a little. Keep in mind Dadonov could get re-signed and could do the same damage Hudler did with Gaudreau and Monahan in 2015, if not better. A big downside to this deal is locking up Barkov and Huberdeau to additional deals. Florida can get away with paying their players not as much as they should (because of no state tax), but I believe Barkov and Huberdeau would sign long term here if they saw some success. Stralman wasn't tried in Calgary, but he would be tried this time for 2 seasons. He's 34, but he still logged 21 minutes for Florida in 69 games last season. He still has some in the tank to be a decent 4/5 while we are using Valimaki and Kylington on the left side. Basically, I viewed it as Giordano - Andersson, Valimaki - Stralman and Kylington - RD.

Tampa Bay: Don't think the Lightning need a shake up, but they are in some upcoming cap trouble. This is my proposal based on that key fact: Cirelli and Killorn for Gaudreau (LW), (and maybe a mid pick and/or B-/C+prospect from the Flames)

The Lightning lose Cirelli, but only gain 2.3m in cap space and add Johnny Gaudreau. They'd probably still have to move Gourde or Johnson, but they can do that in another transaction to retain their two defenseman in Sergachev and Cernak (Cernak plays with Hedman, they'll want to keep him). Killorn and Cirelli are very familiar with each other and have tremendous chemistry. I think a top 6 of Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm and Killorn - Cirelli - Mangiapane would be be a great top 6. We'd be a hard two-way team to compete against. 5 of those 6 are great two-way players, maybe Monahan would follow suit. I thought about doing a deal with Stamkos, but I only thought of Stamkos and Gaudreau 1 for 1, but don't believe Tampa Bay would do that deal for just the little cap savings they'd get from it (and for a downgraded player, imo). Tampa Bay avoids having to get 3 potential offer sheets this season and lands a great 2 year rental at the only 67.5% of the cost (assuming Johnny's next contract is in the 8 digits).
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #266
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
To dedicate a thread on trading our top offensive forward for scraps isn't just a discussion.

And yes I'm aware he didn't catch Tkachuk for the team lead last season but he was trending and with 12 games to go he would have easily.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:24 AM   #267
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau + Jankowski for the 8th, 38th and Ristolainen is probably a deal I take.

Draft Anton Lundell, Cole Perfetti, or Marco Rossi at 8. Draft Ozzy Wiesblatt at 38.

Make a Finnish pairing of Valimaki - Ristolainen.

...and sign Taylor Hall.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 12:32 AM   #268
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Gaudreau + Jankowski for the 8th, 38th and Ristolainen is probably a deal I take.

Draft Anton Lundell, Cole Perfetti, or Marco Rossi at 8. Draft Ozzy Wiesblatt at 38.

...and sign Taylor Hall.
That might be something I would go for, because I love the draft, and because I would bet those players at 8 will play next year.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:46 AM   #269
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

...and sign Taylor Hall.
I think that is probably more realistic than most, but I think it is unlikely Buffalo would leave themselves without picks until round 4. The second would likely need to be in 2021.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #270
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I don’t think the Lightning trade Cirelli for Gaudreau let alone throw in all those additional assets.
Lol, this is where we are at huh? Does any other fanbase undervalue their players as much as ours?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #271
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I don’t think the Lightning trade Cirelli for Gaudreau let alone throw in all those additional assets.
You don't think Tampa would trade a 3rd liner, with 94 career pts, for Gaudreau straight-up?

lol

Also, here's an interesting stat:

Cirelli:.. 40 games, 6 G, 5 A, 11 pts, 0.275 PPG
Johnny: 30 games, 8 G, 11 A, 19 pts, 0.633 PPG

As bad as Gaudreau's playoff numbers have been, he has still been 2.5 times as productive as Cirelli. But the Lightning wouldn't make that trade.

The degree to which Flames fans will go to denigrate their own players, has gotten beyond ridiculous
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #272
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anthony Cirelli is a 23 year old cost controlled two way #2C who just finished 4th in Selke voting. He was the #2C on one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league, and also one of the teams in the Stanley Cup final and got hammered with D zone starts despite being a 22 year old sophomore. He was their #1 penalty killer by a country mile.

Johnny has a ton of value IMO, but the proposition of Gaudreau for Cirelli makes absolutely zero sense for Tampa Bay, and I see no reason why they would make a trade like that whether the "value" is there or not.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #273
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah calling Cirelli a third-liner is just as ridiculous as saying Tampa wouldn't consider Gaudreau for him.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #274
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah calling Cirelli a third-liner is just as ridiculous as saying Tampa wouldn't consider Gaudreau for him.

Tampa wouldn’t because they have no particular need for Johnny, nor can they afford the extra cap space required.

Trade value isn’t to everything, need is important too.

Although I expect that Cirelli, if given offensive chances, could bust out like Couturier did for Philly.

Getting Cerelli, signing him to a cheaper and longer term pre-bust out contract and giving him first line duties and PP time might reward a team with that type of foresight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #275
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Johnny...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308089626133921793
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #276
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The #13 spot in the draft is a likely landing spot for Askarov, as the four teams picking in front of that are set at goal (or have a premiere prospect in the system). It's always a possibility that a team goes off the grid and picks him earlier, but it makes for an interesting trade scenario. Much like Calgary, Carolina is linked to all of the available goalies, and most strongly to Anderson out of Toronto.

They are also trying to move Reimer, who has been a very effective 1B goaltender for the last five years.

For Gaudreau and Parsons

Nino Neiderreiter
James Reimer (50% retained to match salaries)
13th overall (Askarov)
one of Dom Bokk, Ryan Suzuki or Morgan Geekie

solves the goaltending problem now and in the future, a nice prospect and a right winger that is needed on the team. Carolina picks up what would be a crushing LW for Aho and Tervainen, and a good goalie prospect that they need in the system.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #277
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can we have a potential trade thread for every player? Or do we randomly pick a player we want to see traded? Asking cause than I want to start one for Monahan.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #278
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Can we have a potential trade thread for every player? Or do we randomly pick a player we want to see traded? Asking cause than I want to start one for Monahan.

If you want to start a Monahan trades thread, there is literally nobody standing in your way.

And you should, we need one.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #279
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I'd say that with nearly 300 posts in here, that enough people want to partake to make it worth it.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #280
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Go ahead. There are tons of ways to discuss why it isn't as urgent as the Johnny situation and that we can't replace the top-line C slot as easily as the top-line winger spots.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
johnny gaudreau , trade idea