Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 AM   #161
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rennes could have gotten twice as much for Mendy if they held out just a couple more days.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:18 PM   #162
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that was frustrating. Didn't show up in the first half, then should have won it in the 2nd, but missed a bunch of sitters. MCI without Laporte is very vulnerable and Mendy sucks - should have been awake to start the game.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #163
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emi Martinez with the perfect start to his Aston Villa career, with a huge penalty save for his first save of the season. Happy with the new signings so far, if they manage to get Rachica so villa can have pace on both wings and get Grealish back centrally it’ll be a perfect transfer window.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #164
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite a scenario developing today as Spurs are supposed to play Leyton Orient in the League Cup. There are something like 9 positive cases (or maybe as many as 18, apparently) for Orient, so they can't play. They also can't find a way to reschedule this because Spurs are already playing 4 games this week (which in and of itself is ridiculous, and surely the FA should've done something about that in the first place).

Anyway, you might think that they've thought this kind of eventuality through? I guess they have, only Orient doesn't want to forfeit, the game can't be played or rescheduled in time for the 4th round and no one seems to have conclusive info on what is going to happen. Kick off is supposed to be in 2.5 hours.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #165
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Return of fans pushed back... going to have a huge impact on the lower league clubs financially. Expect premier league clubs to pillage any prospects of quality from the champ and league 1 to stock their benches and u23s over the next couple months.

The EPL clubs will take a hit too, especially the bigger clubs who are bringing in 40-60k a game at home and rely on gates as a meaningful chunk of their revenue, but still getting pretty significant tv payments and would expect the smaller prem teams with smaller crowds and the champ teams getting parachute payments are in the best spot and taking the smallest hit. (or I guess even better to have a sugar daddy owner where money is no object a la City/Chelsea/Wolves/Everton lol)
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #166
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Return of fans pushed back... going to have a huge impact on the lower league clubs financially. Expect premier league clubs to pillage any prospects of quality from the champ and league 1 to stock their benches and u23s over the next couple months.

This kind of thing may be seen as a positive by lower league clubs in the short term. They get to reduce their wage bills (maybe offloading some of their higher earners) and bring some cash into the club. Not great in the long term obviously, but a lot of them are just trying to keep their heads above water right now. I see that the govt is preparing a bailout too.

The National League is expected to postpone the start of their season. They were expecting matchday revenues and won't be getting that now.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #167
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah if the teams can completely shut down probably makes life easier... the clubs who have to keep playing trying to meet payroll and play with no ticket revenue who don't get the EPL TV money or parachute payments are going to be hurting, expect the lowball offers are going to be flowing
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #168
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may have to consider becoming a Wrexham United Fan.

Quote:
The Wrexham Supporters Trust Board, which runs the former EFL team, announced on Wednesday that Reynolds, who has starred in films such as "Deadpool" and "Blade: Trinity," along with fellow actor Rob McElhenney have been in talks with the club over a proposed investment.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/wrexham/...r-club-wrexham

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #169
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Quite a scenario developing today as Spurs are supposed to play Leyton Orient in the League Cup. There are something like 9 positive cases (or maybe as many as 18, apparently) for Orient, so they can't play. They also can't find a way to reschedule this because Spurs are already playing 4 games this week (which in and of itself is ridiculous, and surely the FA should've done something about that in the first place).

Anyway, you might think that they've thought this kind of eventuality through? I guess they have, only Orient doesn't want to forfeit, the game can't be played or rescheduled in time for the 4th round and no one seems to have conclusive info on what is going to happen. Kick off is supposed to be in 2.5 hours.
Wasn't it cancelled the night before? I know not officially but all the journos said it wouldn't be going ahead

The most ridiculous part was ollie holt saying how dare spurs take advantage of orient and get a bye to the next round, this will kill smaller clubs

Well ollie, spurs paid for their covid tests, and the spurs captain sponsors their shirts... maybe pick a different example
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #170
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Wasn't it cancelled the night before? I know not officially but all the journos said it wouldn't be going ahead

The most ridiculous part was ollie holt saying how dare spurs take advantage of orient and get a bye to the next round, this will kill smaller clubs

Well ollie, spurs paid for their covid tests, and the spurs captain sponsors their shirts... maybe pick a different example
Well everyone knew they’d have to do something, but it wasn’t officially called off until a couple hours ahead. And at the time they were still deciding what to do. They could have waited until tomorrow, because a loss in Macedonia would open some dates!

I actually think this was poorly handled. Spurs paid for the tests and obviously it’s a good thing they did. But the problem here is that it encourages less testing. You get the positives and lose the opportunity for the game. I don’t know what the solution is here (maybe moving league games until they could be made up later), but to have Orient just miss out on the game in general isn’t great.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #171
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, at least the Wolves' 3rds are a sweet, sweet burgundy.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #172
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Well, at least the Wolves' 3rds are a sweet, sweet burgundy.
Now they are truly team Portugal
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #173
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another Portuguese national team player to the Wolves to replace Doherty - Semedo. Mendy to Chelsea done. Rice next. Loftus-Cheek loan to Southampton? That should be good for both teams and the player because he looks awful in blue, but might find his stride in a different set-up.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #174
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brighton have hit the woodwork 5 times today, crazy. Extremely unlucky if they lose this, they have been the better team and it hasn't been close.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #175
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jebus, how I hate that fluky POS team.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #176
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Jebus, how I hate that fluky POS team.
It's ok Team Mendes. You'll grow to love them.

Last edited by Bagor; 09-26-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #177
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I only saw bits and pieces, but United looked terrible. Lucky to get one point, let alone three.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #178
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I only saw bits and pieces, but United looked terrible. Lucky to get one point, let alone three.
Oh, no argument there.
They were crap.
But something special to get a penalty after the final whistle. Clear penalty.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #179
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Oh, no argument there.
They were crap.
But something special to get a penalty after the final whistle. Clear penalty.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Ole time > Fergie time.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #180
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
yup, shambolic display again. Brighton deserved to win this.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote