Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #7441
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Ever heard of Mario Lemieux? "My offseason training? On August 1st I stop ordering fries with my club sandwich."

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/22/s...nd-number.html

"''It's better that way,'' said Lemieux. ''I won't have to worry about laundry and cooking. Just hockey.''

His dietary staple, to the chagrin of those who surround him, is junk food.

''Hamburgers, french fries, pizza,'' said Lemieux, dipping the chicken wings in extra hot sauce. ''Not junk food. Fast food.''

At the end of the day the only thing that matters are results. Johnny really hasnt been showing positive results, hence the criticism. As others pointed out, Laine has instead showed improvement. If Johnny was still playing at 99 point pace no one would ever talk about skittles.

Moving on to worthwhile discussion, Stauffer (Lol) now claiming on the radio that Ekblad is definitely available. I am still v interested.
1) Completely different era. Lemieux was doing what everyone did, training camp was for getting back in shape for the season. Now the expectation is you show up to camp in the best shape of your life. (Laine and Gaudreau are not)

2) I dont know if Lemeuix widely considered the second best forward to play hockey for a long period of time is a relevant comparable to Gaudreau/Laine.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #7442
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I assume you have the same view on Johnny, because if you don't, you aren't being consistent.

Both players have some red flags to be sure, but each has a unique skill set that isn't readily available. There is value there, the question is how much value. And that is very much a matter of opinion.
Laine has been outed for saying negative things about teammates and whining about ice-time. Not to mention when he gets a new contract it is going to be bogger than what Gaudreau makes.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #7443
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Well when the Flames acquired Elliott, he had a fantastic save percentage for the 2-3 years preceding his arrival on the Flames.

But his career save percentage wasn't anything spectacular.
It didn't take long for him to regress back to, or even below, the mean.
Albeit, he had good stats on St. Louis, while Markstrom has been playing on an iffy Vancouver team.

My point is that Markstrom doesn't have a long track record of success. So it's a big gamble to assume that he can carry his solid play for another 4, 5, or even 6 years, especially when you take age into account.
Anyways, I think I've made it clear that I'm not on the Markstrom train. Mostly for contract and cap reasons.
I would just rather have the Flames acquire a young goalie, even if it cost more.
Not a popular opinion, but Markstrom makes me nervous. To me, he was always kind of a mediocre goalie until the last few years. IMO, he just seems to be a candidate to go the way of an Elliott/Hiller/Smith the older he gets.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #7444
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Not a popular opinion, but Markstrom makes me nervous. To me, he was always kind of a mediocre goalie until the last few years. IMO, he just seems to be a candidate to go the way of an Elliott/Hiller/Smith the older he gets.
Elliott was always fairly inconsistent with St. Louis. Hiller was never the same after struggling with vertigo. Smith was old, with a ton of mileage and declining.

Markstrom was always said to be a top goaltending prospect, it took him longer than most to actually become that, but once he became a top goaltender, he hasn't faltered and his numbers were hurt by the teams in front of him.

There is nothing about his path that is comparable to those 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #7445
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Elliott was always fairly inconsistent with St. Louis. Hiller was never the same after struggling with vertigo. Smith was old, with a ton of mileage and declining.

Markstrom was always said to be a top goaltending prospect, it took him longer than most to actually become that, but once he became a top goaltender, he hasn't faltered and his numbers were hurt by the teams in front of him.

There is nothing about his path that is comparable to those 3.
Wasn't talking about his path, mostly just illustrating a deep dive when coming here, and crushing hopes.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #7446
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Personally I would rather take the chance on signing Holtby to a reasonable 2-3 year deal and keeping Rittich in the fold versus going 5.5 x 5 or more for Markstrom. Rittich can make the hard/big saves, just needs to dial in the mental game for the easier ones. After playing the majority of the last 2 seasons and making the playoffs both years, seems criminal he hasnt ever had a start.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #7447
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Wasn't talking about his path, mostly just illustrating a deep dive when coming here, and crushing hopes.
True of almost any goalie
And those for whom it’s not are not available
Old 09-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #7448
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lebrun speculates Calgary as one of the landing spots for AP

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lebrun-...gelo%7E2029574
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #7449
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Lebrun mentioning Calgary always gets my interest
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #7450
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we could land him at combined tj and hamonic money it's a huge win. With Mackey and Valamaki as the rad sounding 3rd pair the money is not far off. Gio would only get 1 more year with us tho.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #7451
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden View Post
Personally I would rather take the chance on signing Holtby to a reasonable 2-3 year deal and keeping Rittich in the fold versus going 5.5 x 5 or more for Markstrom. Rittich can make the hard/big saves, just needs to dial in the mental game for the easier ones. After playing the majority of the last 2 seasons and making the playoffs both years, seems criminal he hasnt ever had a start.
You obviously haven't seen Holtby play lately
Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #7452
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lebrun, dont go getting my hopes up man.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #7453
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Barf.... Big no thanks on a big ticket player who’s only gonna get old quick after signing a retirement contract!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #7454
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

That'd be huge. F it, get him and Hall. Make the cap work...somehow. I'm too lazy to figure it out atm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #7455
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pietrangelo is a top 5 rhd in the league and has all the tools to age like shae weber. And he just led a team to a cup. If we can sign him we have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #7456
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Lebrun speculates Calgary as one of the landing spots for AP

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lebrun-...gelo%7E2029574

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-22-2020 at 07:03 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #7457
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Barf.... Big no thanks on a big ticket player who’s only gonna get old quick after signing a retirement contract!
Lol this isnt dennis wideman dude. This is Alex Pietrangelo. He's Shea Weber without the mean streak or constant injury woes, and Shea Weber when healthy is still a stud number one Dman at 35 years old and counting

You sign that guy all freaking day long if he's willing.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #7458
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Hockey Writers seem to think the Flames need to trade for Murray. I differ in that opinion but they make some fair points.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flames-...-trade-target/

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #7459
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
That'd be huge. F it, get him and Hall. Make the cap work...somehow. I'm too lazy to figure it out atm.
Hall, Markstrom, Pietrangelo in.

Hanifin, Gaudreau, Ryan out for picks/prospects.

That's pretty much the "holy crap how did he do that" off-season.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #7460
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Hall, Markstrom, Pietrangelo in.

Hanifin, Gaudreau, Ryan out for picks/prospects.

That's pretty much the "holy crap how did he do that" off-season.
And then we all wake up from that beautiful dream to "[CGY] Flames sign Wayne Simmonds, 4yrs, $4mil/yr" and "[CGY] Flames sign Kulikov, 3 yrs, $3.5mil/yr"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread