Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Hanifin spent his time off rehabbing and...binge watching old hockey games.

Quote:
“Me being a defenceman, if a game is on, I try to watch a certain player or a certain group of defencemen that I like to model my game after,” he said. “Even old-school games … There were a couple of old Pittsburgh-Detroit Stanley Cup games on, so watching guys like Nicklas Lidstrom and following them and seeing their habits and what they like to do when they’re in important games and situations in the playoffs, that’s a good way for me to learn and to keep developing.

“It’s not like I’m taking notes or writing anything down, but I just like to watch and I get a good feel for the decisions you have to make and the pace of the game just by watching other teams play and watching that level of hockey,” he continued. “Because the playoffs are definitely faster. They’re more intense. There’s a lot more on the line, obviously, with the decisions you make. So you just have to be smart and you have to play the right way. I think watching former teams have success is a good way to learn.”
And just a reminder of how young he is...

Quote:
Now in his fifth season at hockey’s highest level, he is just 23. If the Flames go with the six blue-line guys we’re expecting, Hanifin will be the youngest defenceman in the lineup for Game 1 of their best-of-five play-in series against the Winnipeg Jets that begins on Aug. 1.
Lots to be excited about with this guy.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...-during-layoff
Old 07-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
BarDown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That he seems to make reference to Lidstrom and those detroit/pittsburgh series as "old school" makes me feel, well, old.

Nice reminder though about how young Hanifin is, and how much room there is for potential growth in his game.
BarDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy to me that he is younger than Rasmus. Seems like Hanifin has been in the league forever
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Young dmen, especially high picks, sometimes take a couple years to find their footing in the league and then bam! Elite. Hedman, Seth Jones, and even Nik Lidstrom come to mind. The fact that Hanifin is already so poised at such a young age is very exciting.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: