Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Neither in the Flames top-4 Stone was a healthy scratch for 29 games and Valimaki was in the AHL after he was off the injury list. Injured for 28 games and not good enough to be in the Flames line-up for 30 games.

Flames had a clear cut top-4 ... very very seldom were they not the top-4 in TOI in any game. Out of Brodie-Gio, Hanifin-Hamonic there was a total of 10 games lost to injury.

What do you think the over-under is for that happening in 2019-20?

The primary playoff prep the Flames have to address over the 2018-19 is working on the physical play that they will be forced to play in a playoff series.
Who the hell knows.

Just amazing to me how three or four people on this site look for the absolute worst case scenario in almost every single issue.

I guess it's good for debate and conversation, but I can't imagine living my life that way.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My bold prediction of the year is Arizona finishes ahead of one of San Jose or Vegas
I predict they finish 6th in the division. I don't put much stock into late season surges and IMO that roster still isn't very good. The Canucks are better and the Oilers have McDavid which may be enough to finish a spot higher or if not the Oilers maybe the Kings bounce back a bit and finish 5th.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-24-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #23
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

And, we REALLY need the bottom six to produce more frequently. Janko, Bennett, it's time to poop or get off the pot boys.
They are scoring really well for being in the bottom-6. For them to move up 10-20 pts they need top-6 line mates and ice time and some time on the pp.

That would dampen the stats for the missing opportunity of the the top-6.

Lindholm isn't putting up 78 points as 3C and limited PP time
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #24
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I guess it's good for debate and conversation, but I can't imagine living my life that way.
Yep when we recently bought a vacation house I made sure that we could handle major repairs and appliance failures. I appreciate what a great location it is in and how nice it is to be there but look at the things that can go wrong and actually take steps to deal with problems that might come with the good stuff.

As far as hockey goes I was a suzie-sunshine kind of fan a decade back. I started a thread "When do the Flames pass the Canucks in the Standings"

The Canucks won the division and the Flames missed the playoffs.

My unabated Flames booster-ism was beaten out of me with years of near constant disappointment to my high expectations.

Today I can't imagine living my life that way.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #25
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith cost the Flames at least 10 points last season himself. I think they will be okay... division is theirs to lose.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep when we recently bought a vacation house I made sure that we could handle major repairs and appliance failures. I appreciate what a great location it is in and how nice it is to be there but look at the things that can go wrong and actually take steps to deal with problems that might come with the good stuff.

As far as hockey goes I was a suzie-sunshine kind of fan a decade back. I started a thread "When do the Flames pass the Canucks in the Standings"

My unabated Flames booster-ism was beaten out of me with years of near constant disappointment to my high expectations.

When other teams fans thank all your posts that should tell you something...it's not homerism, Flames are a top team
Old 08-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #27
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Last year the Canucks lost Elder for 12 games, Tanev for 40 games, Gudbrandson for 29 games and Stetcher for 14 games.

From what I've heard and read, Tanev is a broken-down shell of his former self, and losing Gudbranson for 29 games would probably have improved the Canucks defence.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #28
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Mike Smith cost the Flames at least 10 points last season himself. I think they will be okay... division is theirs to lose.
and he made up for it in the playoffs preventing a sweep.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #29
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
Hooray.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post

Mike Smith was very good in Game 1, but the Flames took that game over in the second period and won it handily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #31
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uhh didn't St. Louis win the West?

Western Conference champion not decided by regular season points
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 PM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
A lot of times that would sound like a poor excuse but it was true. His "heroics"/adventures behind and outside of the net coughed up leads that the team in front of him had earned. Maybe the offensive players take a small step back, but factor in goaltending that is less risky and the flames could definitely be in a similar spot points wise, maybe better if some young players take a step.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #33
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Meh don't care just make the playoffs and win a damn round.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:04 AM   #34
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Calgary Flames are good at hockey.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
A lot of times that would sound like a poor excuse but it was true. His "heroics"/adventures behind and outside of the net coughed up leads that the team in front of him had earned. Maybe the offensive players take a small step back, but factor in goaltending that is less risky and the flames could definitely be in a similar spot points wise, maybe better if some young players take a step.
There is little doubt that Smith made plenty of games more difficult for the Flames to win. The question now is if Rittich and Talbot can avoid giving up unearned opposition goals that Smith often did because improving there will may be enough to cover up any offensive regression.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #36
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Take it from me ... I am well aware that things don't always go well; I've had my share of knocks.

But this is supposed to be fun, it's hockey. I'm not advocating not wearing a seatbelt or not not getting insurance on your vacation home.

Just wondering why some find the need to see gloom in almost every topic surrounding a team that they reportedly like when being a fan is supposed to be an escape.

If you want to take pessimism into a hobby/pastime you can certainly do it, it's good for business and generates traffic/discussion, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 09:47 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Just wondering why some find the need to see gloom in almost every topic surrounding a team that they reportedly like when being a fan is supposed to be an escape.

If you want to take pessimism into a hobby/pastime you can certainly do it, it's good for business and generates traffic/discussion, but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would.
Just because someone predicts the Flames won't win the West isn't necessarily taking a pessimistic view.

Let's face it, it hard to come first in the Western Conference.

The odds favour that some other team will win it vs. the Flames, even if you consider the Flames the best team. Flames vs. everyone is simply not a good bet.

It's not like the Flames are some juggernaut and clearly better than everyone else.

Even if their odds are better than everyone else, their chances are likely no better than 20%.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Just because someone predicts the Flames won't win the West isn't necessarily taking a pessimistic view.

Let's face it, it hard to come first in the Western Conference.

The odds favour that some other team will win it vs. the Flames, even if you consider the Flames the best team. Flames vs. everyone is simply not a good bet.

It's not like the Flames are some juggernaut and clearly better than everyone else.

Even if their odds are better than everyone else, their chances are likely no better than 20%.
I think you're well aware that I'm not saying that.

The guy finds the darkest corner of every room on almost every single topic.

It's one thing to say repeating is tough, it's another to try and discount last year's success due to reasons like a lack of injuries.

I even said in this discussion that I'm more worried about the first round of the playoffs over the conference title.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don’t think our second line is where we need to be, scoring wise.

Frolik and his status up in the air, Backlund not getting pushed from Jankoswki as a second line center. Tkachuk not signed...and in general, that line was bad in the playoffs and just average in the regular season.

Top line came out hot but Mono and Lindholm cooled considerably later in the season.

As they started rolling last year, the confidence and swagger of the team showed, where they could show up for sometimes only 2 periods and dominate a game. Lead by Gio, sure.
Will that same swagger and confidence be there; of course it can’t be created in its own,it has to come from outplaying and obviously out scoring the opponent, but at times that total confidence carried them through some games.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are still holes on this team, thats the nature of parity in the salary cap era, and thats fine.

Frankly, I dont want to win the Conference. I'd probably be happier if they were in the Wild-Card mix.

And dont misunderstand me, I dont mean 'happy' as is 'happy' thats just not how being a Flames fan operates. Misery is our benchmark.

For example, once the new arena is built and we have to decide on a statue to put outside of it, I will strongly propose a statue of Lucy in mid 'football removal' pose and an expression of mixed terror and shame on Charlie Brown's face.

I think that would sum up most of this Franchise's history.

That being said however, this team needs to perform in the playoffs and that has to happen before the playoffs. Last season we saw all of the fat and sassy 'early-clinchers' get absolutely smoked.

They've got to fight for the last part of the season and come into the playoffs in fighting shape, ready to eat raw meat.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good , edmonton will finish last , they really stink