Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #281
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you thought of being a marine biologist?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #282
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I need to vent

I graduated near the top of my class with a Master of Architecture in April, but worked for 5 years as an Architectural Technologist before that.
Now that I've got the Masters, a Bachelors, and a Diploma, there's literally no jobs available; the way Calgary is trending, it feels like there won't be any opportunities for me for years to come. I've been looking all around Alberta and BC, but the opportunities are almost non-existent.
I've been sending out unsolicited resume & portfolio packages to every firm I can think of, but in the last 3 months, I've only had 3 firms even respond with a "we're not hiring, but we'll keep your resume" in last 3 months.
I had a (what I thought was an amazing) interview a few weeks ago but the company responded to me this week saying that they really liked me, and loved my credentials, but they decided not to hire anyone after re-evaluating their needs.

I've got job alerts set up on indeed and linkedin for anything architecture related, but I'm getting pretty frustrated, as 90% of the jobs that pop up are for software architects (which drives me absolutely crazy).

I gambled on myself to go from a technologist to an (intern) architect, and now that oil has crashed, and covid has hit, there are no intern architect positions, so I'm applying for technologist jobs again and even getting turned down there.

I feel like a complete failure.

You're doing the right things, your staying active on your search, your marketing your self out there.

Its an unprecedented job market out there, when we talk about a Employers market its exactly that, especially in the skilled candidate space.

Employers can find an exact match out of the 100's of resume's they're receiving, and they don't need to take the chance with the whole, "This guy is close or has skills elsewhere that could be interesting". We're also seeing a lot of senior people applying for junior jobs and taking less to do them.

Even that innocuous question around salary range is more of a vipers pit then it used to be because of the sheer number of desperate and getting desperate candidates there are out there.

I tend to think that I got lucky to stumble into the opportunity that I did.

I don't know if I have anything brilliant to add. But maybe look at linkedin groups that are specific to what you do and get active in the conversations there and maybe advertise yourself about. How about the Architectural and Engineering groups out there, are they still active? even virtually, maybe reach out to them and see how you can get involved and get your name brand recognition increased. Are there any contract opportunities out there that you could look at?

All I can say though is be persistent on what your doing. I felt like giving up quite a bit.

You're not a failure of any kind, your caught in a bad situation that's really prevalent out there right now.

Just keep pushing, it'll happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #283
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Have you thought of being a marine biologist?
Or get into the import/ export business. The latex market is crazy right now.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #284
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I need to vent

I graduated near the top of my class with a Master of Architecture in April, but worked for 5 years as an Architectural Technologist before that.

Now that I've got the Masters, a Bachelors, and a Diploma, there's literally no jobs available; the way Calgary is trending, it feels like there won't be any opportunities for me for years to come. I've been looking all around Alberta and BC, but the opportunities are almost non-existent.

I've been sending out unsolicited resume & portfolio packages to every firm I can think of, but in the last 3 months, I've only had 3 firms even respond with a "we're not hiring, but we'll keep your resume" in last 3 months.

I had a (what I thought was an amazing) interview a few weeks ago but the company responded to me this week saying that they really liked me, and loved my credentials, but they decided not to hire anyone after re-evaluating their needs.

I've got job alerts set up on indeed and linkedin for anything architecture related, but I'm getting pretty frustrated, as 90% of the jobs that pop up are for software architects (which drives me absolutely crazy).

I gambled on myself to go from a technologist to an (intern) architect, and now that oil has crashed, and covid has hit, there are no intern architect positions, so I'm applying for technologist jobs again and even getting turned down there.

I hear you man, I gambled on myself last year and am now doing the same job I was doing in 2012. It's a tough go right now, hopefully something pops up! Have you considered looking out of country?
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #285
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any software developers out there? My company is aggressively hiring right now. Likely hiring another ~10 by the end of the year. Previous experience is critical, we need people that can get up to speed pretty fast. Send me a private message if you need more information.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #286
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't have direct, however I have a friend that does recruiting consultation in that area, that could be helpful in finding someone quickyl and vetting them.

Let me know.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #287
eddly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We're trying to stay away from recruiters for these roles for now. We'll see if that changes over the next month or so.

CaptainCrunch, happy to hear that you found a new position, I mostly lurk these days, but have been following this thread closely.

eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eddly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #288
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Or get into the import/ export business. The latex market is crazy right now.
Haha how do you “thank” a “thanks”.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #289
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Submitted a resume last week for a TC Energy posted role... they require both submission of your cover letter/resume AND also completing a number of questions. One of their last questions is asking and requiring an answer to What is your expected base salary? tough to put something in there that doesn't automatically exclude you, nor to undervalue your (and anyone else applying). Can't win this IMO. sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #290
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did something that I've been told never to do. I submitted an application for a job in Vancouver using the "quick apply" button on indeed. I didn't put together a cover letter. I put literally zero effort into the application.

I now have a second interview with the company coming up on Wednesday.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #291
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Submitted a resume last week for a TC Energy posted role... they require both submission of your cover letter/resume AND also completing a number of questions. One of their last questions is asking and requiring an answer to What is your expected base salary? tough to put something in there that doesn't automatically exclude you, nor to undervalue your (and anyone else applying). Can't win this IMO. sigh...
Pro tip - put the Glassdoor salary for an equivalent position and you're probably safe. They likely look at it too.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 AM   #292
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Its the killer question right now, because in Ideed, its a numeric field so range is pretty much out, or any kind of answer like, I'd like to know more about the role.

The Glass door or salary survey recommendation is a good one, but job hunters are discounting to get roles and off of Cerb.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #293
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I need to vent

I retired last year after having a 45 year career as an Architectural Specification Writer. The last 25 years I was self employed and I worked as a consultant for many of the Architectural firms in Calgary as well as in BC. Those years were great as the economy was booming here in Alberta, but before that, I had much the same problem as you are having now. I went through the crash in 1981, where I was working for an Architectural firm with 120 employees - it went out of business a year later. There were no jobs to be had anywhere. I ended up doing some part time work until things started to get better a few years later. I also went through a bit of a slow time in around 1991, where I was an associate in an Architectural firm, and was laid off due to lack of work. That's when I went out on my own and never looked back. It's a tough business to be in. Hopefully you will find something eventually.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #294
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

UPDATE - 5 weeks in:

My EI application got transferred straight to CERB, and I got paid for the first 4 weeks within a couple days. That, combined with my severance will keep us going for a while. However, we now have zero income for our household of four.

Job listings are mostly non-existant, and appears to have gotten worse in the last couple weeks. In 5 weeks, I've applied for maybe 5 positions that I probably had any chance at.

My experience is in commercial construction project management - my most recent experience is with concrete structure multifamily. I have experience being both the owner and builder at the same time, as well as being an owner's rep. I have been in construction for more than 20 years.

I have applied for my PMP designation, and have been accepted to take the exam. Lots of studying to do before scheduling my exam, which I have to complete within a year. How should this be communicated on my resume?

Other locales may have a few more positions open (Vancouver), but I'm not sure if I want to uproot the family at this point - that's very hard on the kids.

I want to "diversify" out family's revenue stream, and would love to work for myself, and have a bit of a business idea, but I don't know if that would pay the bills. I could also develop on my own, but I don't have any capital to start.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #295
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddly View Post
Any software developers out there? My company is aggressively hiring right now. Likely hiring another ~10 by the end of the year. Previous experience is critical, we need people that can get up to speed pretty fast. Send me a private message if you need more information.
If you need a project manager for those new developers..... :-)

Edit: @Thneed, on your resume or cover or both you can put something like PMP designation in progress. I'm not sure if the construction industry uses key work for their evaluations but having PMP in your resume can't hurt.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 07-13-2020 at 12:46 PM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #296
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its the killer question right now, because in Ideed, its a numeric field so range is pretty much out, or any kind of answer like, I'd like to know more about the role.

The Glass door or salary survey recommendation is a good one, but job hunters are discounting to get roles and off of Cerb.

It is tougher too because: they posted it as junior-intermediate role, however said they would welcome more experienced folks (I'd be considered senior). Plus my inside contact said they would prefer experienced... So either I'd be an over-valued junior or a really cheap senior.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #297
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
If you need a project manager for those new developers..... :-)

Edit: @Thneed, on your resume or cover or both you can put something like PMP designation in progress. I'm not sure if the construction industry uses key work for their evaluations but having PMP in your resume can't hurt.

As I was completing the course in my PMP I was getting the course certificates and it was updating my linked in, so I added the PMP courses to my resume and stated my PMP was in progress.

Any arrow in your quiver.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #298
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

was on temporary lay off since mid-april and just got the official lay off call this morning.

worked as an architectural technologist/designer for a local builder/developer.

not much faith in the home market restoring itself in yyc for the short term it seems.

now i'm torn. do i stay in my field or hit the reset button?

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #299
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
was on temporary lay off since mid-april and just got the official lay off call this morning.

worked as an architectural technologist/designer for a local builder/developer.

not much faith in the home market restoring itself in yyc for the short term it seems.

now i'm torn. do i stay in my field or hit the reset button?
Yep similar situation. Was furloughed very end of March and was officially laid off on Thursday.

Unfortunately AB's new corporate tax breaks didn't translate into jobs at my (former) firm - hopefully the dividend will be safe for another quarter or two ;-).

Thankfully my package was better than expected, especially after being there only two years.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #300
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is tougher too because: they posted it as junior-intermediate role, however said they would welcome more experienced folks (I'd be considered senior). Plus my inside contact said they would prefer experienced... So either I'd be an over-valued junior or a really cheap senior.
TC is usually a good company for not pigeonholing you. But it doesn't hurt to openly state you're taking a discount for an opportunity to grow with the company (two way street//cheap senior talent). Choosing the average on Glassdoor is pretty safe. Usually they'll bring you in for another interview if they're interested and re-hash that question again. If growth opportunities within the company don't start to transpire after you've taken a lower role that you should be able to basically do in your sleep, you may start consider looking for growth opportunities after 10 months or so (it's also easier to find a job when you have a job).

A good company should have no issues with this and should be happy to push you upwards for available roles if you prove yourself worthy. If they get mad they can't lock up senior talent and underpay the senior talent (cheap senior in a lower role) for an indeterminate amount of time, it's a little bit of a red flag.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote