Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #201
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, but subsidizing public transit gets cars off the roads that you use, so there's a benefit to you. What benefit does someone living in Kensington get from a new police station in Copperwood?
They capture those bloodsucking suburbanites before they move inland and start taking over your neighbourhood.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #202
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
True. My wife and I never ride the bus or c-train. But our tax dollars still goes towards subsidizing those that do.
My wife and I never drive, but our tax dollars still goes towards subsidizing those that do.

At least with transit, there are user fees to recoup some of the costs. Roads have no user fees at all -- you pay for them whether you use them or not.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #203
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
My wife and I never drive, but our tax dollars still goes towards subsidizing those that do.

At least with transit, there are user fees to recoup some of the costs. Roads have no user fees at all -- you pay for them whether you use them or not.
They're called gasoline taxes, and license and registration fees
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #204
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Yup I do. Some of it is that my family is still in the middle of being trained about recycling (man.. what a battle), but even still there wasn't a lot that could have been recycled. Used kleenex, used pizza boxes, plastic covered paper, etc... stuff that can't go in there anyway.
I was shocked to find out those can actually go in there, right on the quick reference sheet. It's actually pretty crazy how little can't go in there.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #205
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I only huff gasoline and burn things. Why should I be subsidizing roads?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #206
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I only huff gasoline and burn things. Why should I be subsidizing roads?
Haha well why should my provincial taxes pay to hospitalize you in the burn ward?

Its interesting theres a lot of these, why should I pay for these things with our taxes. Like people who smoke, why should we pay to treat them when they get cancer?

Last edited by burn_this_city; 07-27-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #207
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, but subsidizing public transit gets cars off the roads that you use, so there's a benefit to you. What benefit does someone living in Kensington get from a new police station in Copperwood?
Or as another example, Rerun has the option of taking a bus if he wants to. There's a reason to; that is, if his car breaks down or whatever the case, he can use the bus.

Me, I have no reason to head out in that direction and use interchanges, simply because I have no reason to go out there for anything. So I understand why Rerun subsidizes the bus system, but why should I subsidize the interchanges I'll never use? There's no reason for me to go out there, while there is more reason for Rerun to come in.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #208
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Neither do you, and yet you're assuming that you're right. I'm not making that step.
Let me refer you to post #69... not all suburbanites are as delusional as you are. You latched on to one post about costs being partially paid by developers, and decided that your taxes are fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso
Suburbia doesn't get the service.
Which makes capital costs irrelevant? I'll give you that the feeder bus network in Calgary is terrible, but the interchanges, LRT expansions, police stations, fire stations, libraries, parks, rec centers etc. that are constructed for the suburbs aren't exactly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso
The inner city has higher property values, based on many things including these better services, so have to pay higher property taxes based on it.
Yes I understand property taxes are based on property values. They're also based on what the city decides needs for revenue, an amount of which is spent on the suburbs disproportionately to propoerty values, which creates a subsidy.

I'm done with you.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #209
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Which one of those taxes is collected by the municipal government? AFAIK, gasoline taxes are federal and provincial, and licensing and registration is provincial. The bulk of the money spent to build and maintain roads in Calgary comes from the municipal government, so I'm paying just as much as anyone else for them even though I don't use them.

IIRC, Calgary Transit must make 60% of its annual operating budget back from user fees. The other 40% is subsidized by taxpayers, whether they use transit or not. On the other hand, 100% of the municipal roads budget is covered by the taxpayers.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #210
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Which one of those taxes is collected by the municipal government? AFAIK, gasoline taxes are federal and provincial, and licensing and registration is provincial. The bulk of the money spent to build and maintain roads in Calgary comes from the municipal government, so I'm paying just as much as anyone else for them even though I don't use them.

IIRC, Calgary Transit must make 60% of its annual operating budget back from user fees. The other 40% is subsidized by taxpayers, whether they use transit or not. On the other hand, 100% of the municipal roads budget is covered by the taxpayers.
Its hard to say who pays more. The province/ottawa pays the most for major roads, the city for side streets. As for transit the stat I saw earlier this year said every ride costs $7 and that taxpayers pay the majority of it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #211
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
On a semi-related note I heard from a birdie in the waste department that 70% of the crap that we are now recycling is ending up in the landfill because there is no market for it and this controversy will be coming out in the next while. This is an E3 rumour.
Which will change again once the economy picks up again.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #212
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On a semi-related note I heard from a birdie in the waste department that 70% of the crap that we are now recycling is ending up in the landfill because there is no market for it and this controversy will be coming out in the next while. This is an E3 rumour.
Haha thats hilarious if true. What a colossal waste of money putting a goofy blue bin on every driveway.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #213
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have to admit as much as I am for them, they are real real ugly all scatterred in the back alley, I can't imagine in the neighborhoods how it looks.

I bet their will be a bylaw requiring them to be pulled inside the garage at some point really pissing people off.
We had the pay for service recycling for years and I supported the initiative to make it citywide. But I had invisioned something similar to what we had before, just a small blue bin the size of a laundry basket.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #214
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't find them bad-looking. If people put their garbage out for pickup, what would you rather see... a blue bin or someone else's garbage?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #215
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary council decides new pedestrian bridge will be called the Peace Bridge

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald July 27, 2009 4:49 PM

CALGARY - The Santiago Calatrava-designed downtown pedestrian bridge will be called the Peace Bridge, Calgary aldermen decided today in a closed-door hearing.

Mayor Dave Bronconnier announced the name after the session and and a pro forma council vote, as part of his efforts to brand the controversial bridge in tribute to Canada's soldiers, alongside Memorial Drive.
It's perhaps better known now to Calgarians as the $22-million pedestrian span that represents city council's bold attempts to beautify Calgary -- or to spend taxpayer dollars to excess.

The bridge design will be revealed this week, before it goes before Calgary Planning Commission next week. The Herald has learned that famed Spanish architect Calatrava has crafted a 128-metre-long helix-like bridge with a red exterior and white platform inside.

Bronconnier has said the bridge project has from the start been intended as a military tribute. Ald. Andre Chabot argued on the weekend that this is an attempt to make the project more appetizing to a critical public.

The Peace Bridge, to be completed in November 2010, will connect Eau Claire to Sunnyside, just west of Prince's Island Park.

It will share a name with the Peace Bridge that connects Fort Erie, Ont., and Buffalo, NY.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Calgary...262/story.html
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #216
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I don't find them bad-looking. If people put their garbage out for pickup, what would you rather see... a blue bin or someone else's garbage?
Between the blue bin and the 8 garbage bags a week my neighbour spills into the alley, I'd rather see the bin.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #217
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peace Bridge ... short and sweet, I like it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #218
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Peace Bridge ... short and sweet, I like it.
I would have preferred the "Freedom costs a buck o'five" bridge
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #219
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just to put my thoughts into this thread regarding the bridge.

While I can get the need for the bridges, I personally don't understand the desire for its beautification, no matter how much extra it costs. I'm not usually one to just stop to marvel at a building, road, or bridge.

I'm not sure if I should even get into the inner city-vs-suburbs subsidization...ummm...discussion. For now I'm taking the view that I am part of Calgary, and that, no matter where my tax money goes, it (hopefully) benefits the city and the people in it. If that means my taxes go to a new interchange that I don't use or a new bridge I'll never walk on, so be it. It all evens out in the end.

Well, except for the NE train lines. That we got screwed on. :P
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #220
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I would have preferred the "Freedom costs a buck o'five" bridge
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote