Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #2001
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So there were only a few people using it on its first weekday in pretty dismal weather, and you're declaring failure already? Coincidentally, the sidewalk outside of my office has seen fewer pedestrians today as well.
I don't know that I'm declaring anything. Some folks were making comparisons with 30 million dollar interchanges, and I was adding some observations to that comparison.

Incidentally, interchanges seem to be largely unaffected by bad weather.
LeftWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #2002
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Sounds like my experience of going out to the far suburbs during the day and going over empty or near empty multi lane interchanges.
Cool - which ones?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #2003
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
And what of the other two bridges I asked about? Seeing similar volume right now? Like I said, how can we compare without info from them?
I think the comparison was between the Peace bridge and interchanges - this other thing with the other bridges is your thing. Not too sure how it applies.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #2004
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWing View Post
I think the comparison was between the Peace bridge and interchanges - this other thing with the other bridges is your thing. Not too sure how it applies.
There are 3 pedestrian bridges now spanning the Bow (in the core). You report it is quiet on the Peace bridge, so wouldn't it be kind of important to know how the LRT and Prince's Island bridge's are for traffic at the same time?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2005
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There are 3 pedestrian bridges now spanning the Bow (in the core). You report it is quiet on the Peace bridge, so wouldn't it be kind of important to know how the LRT and Prince's Island bridge's are for traffic at the same time?
I'm pretty sure I understand what you're asking, but I guess I'm politely trying to say - who cares about the other bridges? This is about how much use the Peace bridge is getting. Am I missing something?

If it makes all of you upset folks feel a bit better, about four more people crossed the Peace bridge in the last 10 minutes or so.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2006
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of citizen "usage" reports the city will be installing counting equipment on the bridge shortly, so they can gauge the usage.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #2007
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Regardless of citizen "usage" reports the city will be installing counting equipment on the bridge shortly, so they can gauge the usage.
Oh oh. I suspect that's the last thing they want to do.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #2008
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know that I'm declaring anything. Some folks were making comparisons with 30 million dollar interchanges, and I was adding some observations to that comparison.

Incidentally, interchanges seem to be largely unaffected by bad weather.
Like other types of infrastructure, usage will increase as people adjust their travel routines. The first day (and subsequently a few days later) that the large portion of Stoney Trail opened, I drove on it and it was nearly empty. Months later, the traffic volumes are considerably higher. This bridge is no exception - people will adjust their commutes to use it, but a low head count on the third day isn't exactly a surprise.

Obviously, infrastructure that is for outdoor commuting and recreation will see less usage during bad weather. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist. There are commuters that will ride or walk in just about any weather, and others that won't/can't. There are hundreds of kilometres of under-used pathways and other infrastructure in the city today (and throughout much of winter). Should we tear it up and build another car lane? Should we have built it in the first place? Even though, during the summer, that infrastructure is at or beyond capacity in some places?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #2009
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I understand what you're asking, but I guess I'm politely trying to say - who cares about the other bridges? This is about how much use the Peace bridge is getting. Am I missing something?

If it makes all of you upset folks feel a bit better, about four more people crossed the Peace bridge in the last 10 minutes or so.
Yes, you are missing something, something very important. It's actually quite amazing that you're not understanding the value of comparing all three bridges, as opposed to just saying "well, no one's using the new peace bridge at this time".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #2010
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Like other types of infrastructure, usage will increase as people adjust their travel routines. The first day (and subsequently a few days later) that the large portion of Stoney Trail opened, I drove on it and it was nearly empty. Months later, the traffic volumes are considerably higher. This bridge is no exception - people will adjust their commutes to use it, but a low head count on the third day isn't exactly a surprise.

Obviously, infrastructure that is for outdoor commuting and recreation will see less usage during bad weather. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist. There are commuters that will ride or walk in just about any weather, and others that won't/can't. There are hundreds of kilometres of under-used pathways and other infrastructure in the city today (and throughout much of winter). Should we tear it up and build another car lane? Should we have built it in the first place? Even though, during the summer, that infrastructure is at or beyond capacity in some places?
Again, I'm not advocating we put anything back in its box and return it. I wouldn't even say that I'm upset that it was built - I think it adds to my view, so definitely $6.86 well spent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeftWing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #2011
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah you are.
Do you honestly not understand how you saying there is no one using the Peace Bridge, while ignoring the context of the usage of the other bridges at the same time is silly? Especially when you're using it to illustrate that the bridge is uselss or a failure?

Do you not see how these circumstances are totally different:

A) Peace bridge is empty durring a snowstorm in the middle of the work day, and so are the other 2 major pedestrian crossings

B) Peace Bridge is empty durring a snowstorm in the middle of the work day, but the other to major predestrian crossings are bustling with activity
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #2012
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Yes, you are missing something, something very important. It's actually quite amazing that you're not understanding the value of comparing all three bridges, as opposed to just saying "well, no one's using the new peace bridge at this time".
Cool - please go ahead and fill me in then.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #2013
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It's like this bridge activated some ###### gene in a bunch of Calgarians.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #2014
LeftWing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Yeah you are.
Do you honestly not understand how you saying there is no one using the Peace Bridge, while ignoring the context of the usage of the other bridges at the same time is silly? Especially when you're using it to illustrate that the bridge is uselss or a failure?

Do you not see how these circumstances are totally different:

A) Peace bridge is empty durring a snowstorm in the middle of the work day, and so are the other 2 major pedestrian crossings

B) Peace Bridge is empty durring a snowstorm in the middle of the work day, but the other to major predestrian crossings are bustling with activity
Okay. Again, my context has always been in comparison to the interchanges that everyone seems to hate. The same ones that don't diminish in traffic to nothing during rainy or snow days. I was merely trying to illustrate that the statements were a bit on the ridiculous side.

You seem to think that I'm making a statement about whether the bridge itself was warranted? Well, I think that remains to be seen too I guess.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #2015
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Cool - please go ahead and fill me in then.

Others already have, including a couple posts above yours. If you don't get it, I honestly just don't know what to say. This is baffling.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #2016
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope when it's -30 outside, and Rick Bell is trying to get downtown and the Peace Bridge is the closest river crossing, he sticks to his guns and walks the long way around to one of the other bridges.

The minute that guy, or any other bridge critic, uses it I'm going to laugh hysterically.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #2017
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I blame the Bow river... I think we should burn it to the ground!
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #2018
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
The water...it won't burn*!

*Unless you are in Russia.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2019
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Ya, it started with Bronconnier and went downhill from there.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #2020
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Pave it. Memorial should be 8 lanes and 100km/h.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: