Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2023, 10:11 AM   #1
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Calling all CP Travel Guru's- Tips needed for South America

I have seen some great travel advice and tips on CP over the years, hoping some of the members have experience travelling to Brazil, Argentina or Chile, as I have a 22 night trip booked. I am leaving late December.

I will be traveling to Sao Paulo, Rio, Foz de Iguazu, Florianopolis, Buenos Aires and Santiago. If anyone has specific tips for those locations, things to see or do (or not), things to look out for, things to avoid, etc.

I am also looking for tips specifically relating to Chile. I have 4 nights there, originally planned to spend them all in Santiago, but I have a burning desire to get into the Andes and don't want to miss my chance. Not sure if I want to stay there for 1-2 nights or just do a day trip. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also general advice for travelling in these regions as a solo traveller who cannot speak Portuguese or Spanish. I am using Babbel atm trying to get some basic Portuguese, but I will mainly be relying on Google translate. I am a very experienced solo traveller (47 countries) so this will not be my first rodeo. But I have heard english is rarely spoken in Brazil and airports can be somewhat challenging without being able to understand Portuguese.

Any help, hints or advice will be greatly appreciated. I'll pay you all back with some cool pictures when I return!
TheKiprusoffResurrection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

No advice as I havent been there but jealous of the trip. Enjoy and post photos on here
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 10:28 AM   #3
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in Argentina in 2008, so a lot has probably changed. We were in Buenos Aires, stayed central in the Balvanera area in a hostel. Utilized the subway to get around, plus a lot of walking to simply explore the city. Puerto Madero on the coast is a revitalized dockyard area, lots of fancy new hotels there, parks, and things like Calatrava designed pedestrian bridges.

If you can and time allows I'd highly recommend taking a ferry over to Uruguay and spend a night or two in Montevideo. Lots of great old architecture in the city, beaches, and a local sandwich that is to die for.

We did get pick-pocketed on the subway in BA. We had just finished up a long travel day coming back from Ushuaia, and stupidly left our zippers unlocked. We lost our credit/debit cards and passports (which sucked as we lost our Antarctica passport stamp from Port Lockroy station). Shout out to the Canadian Embassy for quickly getting us replacement passports so we could go over to Uruguay.

I also remember it being insanely affordable for us with the exchange rate, eating delicious steak and wine dinners that rival Alberta beef easily.

Last edited by Bigtime; 12-04-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Also, I am aware of the inflation issues in Argentina. I have read the best exchange rates are found on the street through grey market vendors. Wondering if anyone can comment on this? Is it safe to use these guys?
Old 12-04-2023, 11:48 AM   #5
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

When I was this way a long long time ago, the vaccine requirements to enter one of Brazil or Argentina from the other was different than entering it from Canada. I think it was the Yellow Fever vaccine?

Anyway, if you want to avoid a trip to a sketchy favela hospital to get a surprisingly free vaccine, maybe look into that before you go.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #6
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiprusoffResurrection View Post
I have seen some great travel advice and tips on CP over the years, hoping some of the members have experience travelling to Brazil, Argentina or Chile, as I have a 22 night trip booked. I am leaving late December.

I will be traveling to Sao Paulo, Rio, Foz de Iguazu, Florianopolis, Buenos Aires and Santiago. If anyone has specific tips for those locations, things to see or do (or not), things to look out for, things to avoid, etc.

I am also looking for tips specifically relating to Chile. I have 4 nights there, originally planned to spend them all in Santiago, but I have a burning desire to get into the Andes and don't want to miss my chance. Not sure if I want to stay there for 1-2 nights or just do a day trip. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also general advice for travelling in these regions as a solo traveller who cannot speak Portuguese or Spanish. I am using Babbel atm trying to get some basic Portuguese, but I will mainly be relying on Google translate. I am a very experienced solo traveller (47 countries) so this will not be my first rodeo. But I have heard english is rarely spoken in Brazil and airports can be somewhat challenging without being able to understand Portuguese.

Any help, hints or advice will be greatly appreciated. I'll pay you all back with some cool pictures when I return!

If you are on a Canadian passport I think you still need a tourist visa for Brazil, and it was intrusive (banking info), and a PITA generally.

Rio is an amazing city, I wouldn't spend much time in Sao Paulo, a big financial center, nothing we found very interesting. Coastal regions are super nice (Ilhabela, Paraty, Ubatuba)
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 03:15 PM   #7
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My fiancé and I were in Chile and Argentina for 3 weeks in 2018. Get out of Santiago, it is like any other big city.

If you aren't strapped for cash go to Patagonia, it is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. We flew from Santiago to Punta Arenas (there is a penguin colony there if you're a fan of penguins), then took the bus to Puerto Natales (this is where Torres Del Paine is, it's breath taking, highly highly recommend), and then took another bus to El Calafate (there is a really neat glacier there). We then flew to Buenos Aires, but I am sure you could get a flight back to Santiago.

If you are a little more strapped for cash, there is a really cool town about an 1.5 hrs from Santiago called Valpariso. Super cool town with lots of amazing public art. Vina del Mar is also close by that was good for the day too.

In Buenos Aires it is really easy to take a ferry over to Montevideo in Uruguay if you are keen on checking off countries.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 04:22 PM   #8
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
If you are on a Canadian passport I think you still need a tourist visa for Brazil, and it was intrusive (banking info), and a PITA generally.

Rio is an amazing city, I wouldn't spend much time in Sao Paulo, a big financial center, nothing we found very interesting. Coastal regions are super nice (Ilhabela, Paraty, Ubatuba)
Yeah get the visa early. My first try at a Brazillian tourist visa was declined. I worked in oil and gas at that time and they thought I was coming to work or something. I was able to sort it out by doing a phone interview with a consular officer and sending documentation that my wife was coming (she has an Irish passport and didn't need a visa) and we were also going to Argentina and Iguazu falls) but it was stressful and took a long time.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 06:37 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

22 nights -

Chile - Patagonia - Puerto Natales, Torres del Paine, on to Ushuaia Argentina https://www.lonelyplanet.com/chile/southern-patagonia

Or, Lake district - https://www.lonelyplanet.com/chile/t...strict-1327021

Argentina - One day is enough at Igauzyu, but do not miss. Buenos Aires is great for a few days. Peninsula Valdez for wildlife. Patagonia - Ushuaia.

Many young people speak english, especially in tourist areas.

Last edited by troutman; 12-04-2023 at 06:40 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 07:41 PM   #10
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post

I've looked into this, Canadians can get free visa on arrival in Brazil, but that temporary program ends January 10th 2024, so I'll be getting in just in time to avoid that situation.
Old 12-04-2023, 07:41 PM   #11
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
My fiancé and I were in Chile and Argentina for 3 weeks in 2018. Get out of Santiago, it is like any other big city.

If you aren't strapped for cash go to Patagonia, it is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. We flew from Santiago to Punta Arenas (there is a penguin colony there if you're a fan of penguins), then took the bus to Puerto Natales (this is where Torres Del Paine is, it's breath taking, highly highly recommend), and then took another bus to El Calafate (there is a really neat glacier there). We then flew to Buenos Aires, but I am sure you could get a flight back to Santiago.

If you are a little more strapped for cash, there is a really cool town about an 1.5 hrs from Santiago called Valpariso. Super cool town with lots of amazing public art. Vina del Mar is also close by that was good for the day too.

In Buenos Aires it is really easy to take a ferry over to Montevideo in Uruguay if you are keen on checking off countries.
This is great advice, thank you!
Old 12-04-2023, 11:21 PM   #12
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I've been to pretty much all the places you list but between 15 and 20 years ago. Sao Paulo is an urban mess get out as soon as you can. I liked Ihlya de Santa Catarina near Florianapolis. I remember a bikini contest at Pria de Joquina at a surfing competition. Lots of cool places to stay on the Island. There was a hard to access beach that we went to with a local Brazzilian that was pretty cool and than got a boat to a nearby town so we could take the bus back. Make sure to wear a shirt on the bus though I remember getting on and the driver wouldn'tgo till I put my shirt on. If you can learn Portugese try and at least get a few phrases. Most people cant speak English and even with a translation book, many really didnt read either. Argentine side of Igauzu Falls is the better side to walk around even though Brazil has the better view.

Val Pariso is far better than Santiago, cool town with a lot of Furniculars to go to the different neighborhoods.

I mostly did Argentina and Chile on a cruise ship but Punta Arenas, and Peurto Montt would have been decent places to spend a couple days. I enjoyed B.A. as far as big cities go. But the way the Spanish is spoken in Argentina and Chile is different even though the words are spelled the same. Good time of year to go and that far South should be good weather.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 12:44 AM   #13
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rio was incredible. It was 2011 when I went. Beware of pickpockets and stay away from the beaches at night. The Corcovado is unreal. There isn’t a religious bone in my body, could have stayed up there all day. Brush up on your Portuguese, not many Anglos there that we met.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #14
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another vote for Torres del Paine while in Chile.

The food in BA was amazing - roast lamb with a small side of tomato salad, I can practically taste it in my imagination.

Bon voyage!
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 09:37 AM   #15
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a few others have said if you can get to the Patagonia area do it. Absolutely breathtaking, and I only spent a couple of days in the Ushuaia area before and after an Antarctica trip. Flights from BA were super easy, non-stop to get down there.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #16
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I've been to pretty much all the places you list but between 15 and 20 years ago. Sao Paulo is an urban mess get out as soon as you can. I liked Ihlya de Santa Catarina near Florianapolis. I remember a bikini contest at Pria de Joquina at a surfing competition. Lots of cool places to stay on the Island. There was a hard to access beach that we went to with a local Brazzilian that was pretty cool and than got a boat to a nearby town so we could take the bus back. Make sure to wear a shirt on the bus though I remember getting on and the driver wouldn'tgo till I put my shirt on. If you can learn Portugese try and at least get a few phrases. Most people cant speak English and even with a translation book, many really didnt read either. Argentine side of Igauzu Falls is the better side to walk around even though Brazil has the better view.

Val Pariso is far better than Santiago, cool town with a lot of Furniculars to go to the different neighborhoods.

I mostly did Argentina and Chile on a cruise ship but Punta Arenas, and Peurto Montt would have been decent places to spend a couple days. I enjoyed B.A. as far as big cities go. But the way the Spanish is spoken in Argentina and Chile is different even though the words are spelled the same. Good time of year to go and that far South should be good weather.
Really good stuff, thanks Sylvan!
Old 12-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #17
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Torres del Paine (Chile) is amazing, but so is the El Chalten area (Argentina). They both offer comparable world class hiking and Patagonian scenery, but if you find that the logistics of planning Torres del Paine at this relatively last minute are difficult, definitely consider El Chalten which may be easier to plan.

You basically fly into FTE (El Calafate), and then take the bus to the town of El Chalten.

From El Calafate you can also visit the Perito Moreno Glacier (most famous in Patagonia).

Flying within Chile or Argentina is cheap and easy. But I've usually found flying *between* them to be difficult and/or expensive. Their flights always route back to their respective country hubs (SCL or EZE/AEP).

In Northern Chile you also have Atacama. Pretty incredible red rock / Mars type landscapes, and some of the best stargazing in the world (Can also tour the ALMA space observatory). And salt flats. And geysers. And colourful mountains. And there's a mountain there named Cerro Toco. You *start* the hike at 5200 metres elevation. The hike itself is only 2 km long, and ascends to 5600 metres. (Don't hike this alone, altitude sickness is certainly a danger)

Northern Argentina also has beautiful landscapes.

But yeah, with 22 nights, some tough decisions will have to be made! You could easily fill 3 weeks in any one of those countries.

A map of Northern Chile & Argentina showing all the things to do/see if you happen to head up there:

https://tinyurl.com/y4jn47db

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 12-05-2023 at 10:34 AM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote