Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #21
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Calgary and Tampa do make quite a bit of sense as trade partners, being the two best regular-season teams and the two biggest playoff disappointments. I wonder if there could be a deal to be made there around JT Miller.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #22
Geeoff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kessel is an offensive player and Minnesota always plays a boring trap game. As if Phil Kessel is tryna start backchecking at his age.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #23
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Calgary and Tampa do make quite a bit of sense as trade partners, being the two best regular-season teams and the two biggest playoff disappointments. I wonder if there could be a deal to be made there around JT Miller.
Miller makes sense. Versatile and a decent 2nd liner. Johnson, Gourde and Palat also make sense. Brodie to Tampa makes sense as they're losing 3 solid dmen in Stralman, Coburn and Girardi.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd trade Brodie for either Tyler Johnson or JT Miller.

Both have speed, and both have the ability to play wing or C, both are still relatively young and signed for multiple years at a fair cap hit.

Johnson is small though, but brings a right hand shot, while Miller brings decent size but is a lefty.

I'd love to add our 1st rounder and maybe snag both, but that seems really unlikely.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Both Tampa and Calgary are looking to shed salary. Miller for Brodie (as key parts) wouldn't really move the needle cap-wise for either side.

Plus Miller has plenty of term left.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 05-25-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 05:34 PM   #26
Barca
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Both have speed, and both have the ability to play wing or C, both are still relatively young and signed for multiple years at a fair cap hit.

Johnson is small though, but brings a right hand shot, while Miller brings decent size but is a lefty.

I'd love to add our 1st rounder and maybe snag both, but that seems really unlikely.
both Johnson and Miller are more valuable than Brodie and if Tampa is going to move these guys, its to acquire younger assets for the future and to shed the salaries.

I don't see TB having any interest in Brodie, they have their eyes set on Karlsson.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barca For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #27
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
both Johnson and Miller are more valuable than Brodie and if Tampa is going to move these guys, its to acquire younger assets for the future and to shed the salaries.

I don't see TB having any interest in Brodie, they have their eyes set on Karlsson.

This. Tampa probably wants draft picks and players on their ELC for a return. Flames don't have the cap space to absorb a trade like that.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1132348922754752512

Curious.
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #29
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zucker for Frolik straight across and I cannot imagine why that trade isn't done and the ink dried already.

It's what Tree wanted and you're saving the 1st that was rumored going over too.

So that leads me to think there's so.ething bigger at play surrounding the Flames. Unless the Minny GM circles back after being laughed off the phone everywhere else.

Honestly I would take the risk of Rask as well if the Flames could move Janks and some cap over the other way too.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #30
neo45
First Line Centre

Exp:

They’re really running a tight ship in Minny with regard to leaks hey
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #31
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels inevitable now that Zucker will be a Flame. Just went around the league and now Tree can get him for less . I think Minny would relish the idea of have that cap off the books next year. And can Recover an asset at the deadline if they're out of it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #32
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

Frolik and a 1st was on the table when Calgary would get Zucker for the playoff run.

I would guess that at this point it would be more like Frolik and Jankowski for Zucker and Eriksson Ek, in a bit of a change of scenery move for 2 underperforming young centres with upside.

Every player that Minnesota targeted as a trade possibility is someone that I would take on the Flames over Zucker. Bennett, Kessel, Dvorak and Boeser. I would keep Bennett and offer better packages than Minnesota to land the other three.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:28 PM   #33
Monahammer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The boeser insert is weird for me in that rumor- that's a couple of times his name has come up in odd scenarios. Not that Vancouver would ever dare to trade him here.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #34
The Cobra
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Zucker for Frolik straight across and I cannot imagine why that trade isn't done and the ink dried already.

It's what Tree wanted and you're saving the 1st that was rumored going over too.

Why does the 1st magically disappear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #35
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Why does the 1st magically disappear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Because the season hasn’t began and the teams involved in the trades have no guarantee of making the playoffs.

1st’s at the deadline aren’t the same thing as 1st’s in the off-season. (Unless it’s done before this draft).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:01 AM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to wonder why they seem so hellbent on trading Zucker. Are there concerns about him?
Old 05-26-2019, 02:35 AM   #37
1qqaaz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I would think J.T. Miller has quite a bit more value than Brodie.

I do like both Miller and Johnson. They have decent contracts with some term left.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM   #38
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Do tell common knowledge? Ok.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ew/1405761002/

A team that bleeds millions of dollars is not going to spend huge dollars to put a contender on the ice. As their young players start coming off entry level deals they will be jettisoned out of town for picks and prospects. That is assuming they are not in Houston in the near future.
Thats great.

Now...explain what their "low internal budget" is.

I mean...right now...they are at 74 million in salary cap AAV with 3 RFA's to sign. More than all but 4 teams in the league.

So that suggests to me, they do indeed intend to compete at least to an average level, if not a bit above financially.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #39
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Johnson is an interesting name to watch for sure.

Peters and him go way back to the Spokane days where they won a championship together.

He does have a full NTC though, so it would be entirely up to him if he wants to move.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #40
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Johnson is an interesting name to watch for sure.

Peters and him go way back to the Spokane days where they won a championship together.

He does have a full NTC though, so it would be entirely up to him if he wants to move.
i've always been interested in Johnson - good player who seems to have been supplanted by other, similar players: first kucherov, then point, and now possibly chiarelli.

i don't think they'd be looking at brodie, for cap reasons though (unless he's repackaged or part of 3 way deal)... they have 4 RFAs and 3 UFAs for this year... with a projected 8.5 in cap space to sign all those players.

that wouldn't be enough to sign Point alone... so shedding johnson makes sense, but for picks or maybe Ksylington being part of a package maybe?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote