Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #1741
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
If he isn't comfortable with his old winters, maybe that means his tread is low and he needs to replace them? Tires aren't guaranteed to last 5 years, it will depend on the driving. Perhaps all his travel to the mountains has worn his old tires out.
Well, I think (could be wrong), there's enough tread. But because he will be in the mountains a lot he is not going to take chances and grab a new set. His all seasons need replacement as well and I thought it just made more sense to use the old winters as all weather tires to delay tire replacement.

Based on some of the responses in here, it does seem like as long as he doesn't do donuts in a parking lot or something stupid like that in the summer, he shouldn't have to worry about burning the tire bald making a few drives into the mountains during the summer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #1742
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife offered to take my son to hockey practice and my daughter was offered a ride to her girl guides meeting, so daddy got to put on the winter dancing shoes ahead of the expected snowpocolypse/snowmaggedon over the next few days.

I can now laugh at morning radio DJ's who are advising the general population to stay home.

Unfortunately it is also the time of year where I realize that once again I forgot to order the tool to reset my TPMS sensors, so I will have to drop my truck off tomorrow morning at my local autorarioum
Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #1743
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got mine on today which seems to be perfect timing. I would rather stay home tomorrow though.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #1744
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To be fair it will probably be a sh#t show tomorrow on the roads. A combination of the people that are never prepared for this and the other people that think they are invincible and drive like it is still summer outside. So when I head out to work tomorrow morning early I fully expect to see while driving down Stoney Trail the odd SUV or pick-up slid off into the ditch or upside down. It happens every year on the first big snow fall.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #1745
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
To be fair it will probably be a sh#t show tomorrow on the roads. A combination of the people that are never prepared for this and the other people that think they are invincible and drive like it is still summer outside. So when I head out to work tomorrow morning early I fully expect to see while driving down Stoney Trail the odd SUV or pick-up slid off into the ditch or upside down. It happens every year on the first big snow fall.
Not surprisingly the only vehicle I saw in the ditch this morning was a lifted Jeep Wrangler.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #1746
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Deer foot north was a fricken gong show this morning. Heavy volume, one accident and a couple of stalled cars. If your car has trouble at -8 get it off the road because its really going to die at -20

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #1747
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ That's why I was on the road at 6am. You generally miss most of that crap. Plus I leave by 3pm.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #1748
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Actually thought the commute wasn't too bad this morning based on what I was expecting. Maybe 5-10 minutes longer than usual? I think it the fact that most roads didn't have much snow on them at all once you got out of the community, so while the drive was worse, there was nothing really too bad out there.

I don't have as high hopes for my drive home or tomorrow morning though.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #1749
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to the warmth of the weather lately, I'd put off getting my winters on. Made the appointment a couple weeks back for today. Well, driving to the dealership for the swap was fun stuff on performance summers. I wasn't expecting too much trouble, but the back end was pretty lively.

Kinda surprised that it doesn't appear a plow has touched any of the more major roads around my area (36 av/barlow tr/32 st)
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #1750
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always think it's tempting fate to put winter tires on after Thanksgiving, so I don't ever usually get caught off guard by a snowstorm.

I get the wear and tear on winter tires if warmer weather, but really, you're running it on warmer weather potentially for 2 or 3 weeks. How much wear and tear can that be? I'd happily sacrifice that to ensure I have proper tires for weather like this and not get stressed out fighting other people scrambling to put on tires once the weather turns bad.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #1751
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not like this storm just snuck up, either. It was in the forecast a week ago. Which is when I put mine on.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #1752
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't book it. Just go to togo (now tirecraft) at 7:30 a.m. with the tires, leave the car there, pick it up in the afternoon. Did so on Tuesday - no fuss. Cheap. And no need to predict the weather.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #1753
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Togo/Tirecraft - hmm, I might have to try that next time.

Wednesday evening I figured I should change the tires on both our vehicles, I wasnt done until 20.30 but its been so worth it.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #1754
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A quick reminder to everyone... retorque your wheels. Do it yourself, or swing by a tire shop, but don't assume it's fine and risk your life!
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #1755
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might have to rent a car to do a weekend trip, do all of the car rental shops get their vehicles outfitted with winter tires? If I am planning a trip to BC, I am wondering if the tires on a rental are adequate.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #1756
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A quick reminder to everyone... retorque your wheels. Do it yourself, or swing by a tire shop, but don't assume it's fine and risk your life!
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #1757
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I might have to rent a car to do a weekend trip, do all of the car rental shops get their vehicles outfitted with winter tires? If I am planning a trip to BC, I am wondering if the tires on a rental are adequate.
If you're on any of these highways in BC winter tires are mandatory.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...hain-up-routes
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #1758
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
If you're on any of these highways in BC winter tires are mandatory.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...hain-up-routes
Yeah, that part I knew. Was just unsure whether you can assume that rental car companies will use winter tires vs. all seasons.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #1759
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, that part I knew. Was just unsure whether you can assume that rental car companies will use winter tires vs. all seasons.
I would not assume rental companies have winter tires on ANY of their vehicles.

Maybe call them...?
Old 11-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #1760
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it’s a province requirement the rental companies put them on during the required times. I have a rental now and it’s a Hyundai with drag radials it would appear. I’m in Medicine Hat and snows over a foot deep so that car is going nowhere.