Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #1501
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
You are right. Online purchases don't require a membership. I don't know how they handle installation in those cases though. When you order online is it just the tire cost or do they also include the $15 per wheel installation and mounting fee?
I looked into it more and it says they auto charge the $15 and refund if you don't install with them.

There is a message that they won't do "service" for non members but as keratosis mentioned it sounds like they will do the initial installation if you buy from them.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:48 AM   #1502
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't be so quick to think costco is the be all end all. I strongly suggest looking at tire direct and pcm tire as last year I was able to get the exact same tires from tire direct for $200 less then Costco and that included shipping. The deal was so good I bought 4 sets and distributed them out to friends and family.

In addition you can pick up federal himalaya WS2 for around $110 in your size from tire direct and they are often placed in the top ten in winter tire performance.

Last edited by Diemenz; 08-28-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #1503
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey Cecil, don't waste your money on steel wheels. They look like crap and are only marginally cheaper than nicer rims that will actually look good and won't rust. Tire Pirates sell some nice looking cheaper ones. Definitely worth a phone call.

Nicer rims will actually have resale value down the road when you sell the car so I don't think you end up actually paying anything for them in the long run and at least you won't look like your rolling on Chevette rims.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #1504
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Don't be so quick to think costco is the be all end all. I strongly suggest looking at tire direct and pcm tire as last year I was able to get the exact same tires from tire direct for $200 less then Costco and that included shipping. The deal was so good I bought 4 sets and distributed them out to friends and family.
Those are interesting sites and under the right circumstances (distributor oversupply) it could definately be cheaper. Looks to me like the lesser brands would stand a better chance of being a better deal than say, Michelin. I saw some XIce3 in my size that were about the same price as Costco.

The one thing I think could be the equalizer - installation charges. Tire shops generally charge more for installing tires they didn't sell. Costco is a steal at $15 a tire + free rotation + road hazard.

That said, Costco's free services are effectively worthless to me as the lineups / lack of appointments at their tire shops make sure I can never take advantage of them. So I keep paying $40 a pop to fix a nail in the tire which happens 1-3 times a year to me. This reason alone will be why I pay a bit more and buy from my tireshops closest to me (Kaltire / Blaskin) so I get flats fixed for free.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #1505
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most online store shops will mount and balance for free, just throw them on the vehicle yourself
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #1506
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
That said, Costco's free services are effectively worthless to me as the lineups / lack of appointments at their tire shops make sure I can never take advantage of them. So I keep paying $40 a pop to fix a nail in the tire which happens 1-3 times a year to me. This reason alone will be why I pay a bit more and buy from my tireshops closest to me (Kaltire / Blaskin) so I get flats fixed for free.
This.
The Costco at Beacon Hill accepted appointments last season (something they are no longer doing), went in twice for swaps and each time I was there for over three hours.
Not worth it. Country Tire on Edm trail will do swaps with balancing for a bit more, and you're in and out in less than an hour.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #1507
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver View Post
rims
no
Quote:
rims
no
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #1508
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Those are interesting sites and under the right circumstances (distributor oversupply) it could definately be cheaper. Looks to me like the lesser brands would stand a better chance of being a better deal than say, Michelin. I saw some XIce3 in my size that were about the same price as Costco.

The one thing I think could be the equalizer - installation charges. Tire shops generally charge more for installing tires they didn't sell. Costco is a steal at $15 a tire + free rotation + road hazard.

I echo the good luck getting a reasonable time frame for install from Costco.

I agree that there is some "lesser" brands on a site like Tire Direct but there is also some amazing extremely well reviewed tires like the Federal Himalaya. If you check a place like Urban X here in town which is very well reputed they will also tell you the Federals provide performance of tires triple the price.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #1509
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
no
??
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #1510
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
??
Technically wheels are not rims.

However despite years and years and virtually 100% of the population using the terms interchangeably some people get riled up when wheels are called rims.

It is semantics. Rims are wheels. Wheels are rims.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #1511
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I agree that there is some "lesser" brands on a site like Tire Direct but there is also some amazing extremely well reviewed tires like the Federal Himalaya. If you check a place like Urban X here in town which is very well reputed they will also tell you the Federals provide performance of tires triple the price.
$88 each for my car, that's pretty impressive.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #1512
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I specifically need a couple of front tires for the car that's currently en route to me in 245-40-r19, so I just checked out Tire Direct to see what's on offer. They have a pair of Pirelli Pzeros in the clearance section - perfect! Exactly what I need, two of them. I look at the price... it says $720.00. Well, $360 per tire isn't exactly a great deal. It's not really a clearance price, more like a slight discount over retail (those tires go for 440 at Canadian Tire). But it's still a discount.

I add to cart and... no. It's $720 per tire. That's the clearance price. What the #### is wrong with this site? Now I'm just annoyed.

If anyone has a good idea on where I can find two of those tires for cheap let me know.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #1513
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

245-40-19 Pzeros should not be $720 each. $360 sounds right.

If you only need 2, did you try ebay?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #1514
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't actually... I've never bought tires other than in person. Got two Pirelli Rosso Asymmetricos for the rear wheels with more than half the tread left off Kijiji for 90 bucks per tire and fifteen minutes' drive. Best option I've seen so far online is Discount Tire Direct, which will ship me two more of the same tire for the front for $520 all in. It's not bad, but it could be better.

I've had a lot of luck with used tires on Kijiji, so I'm always choked at paying to actually buy from a retailer. I'll have a look at ebay and see what I find.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #1515
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I went to the tire shop at Costco and they suggested I wait until September to start shopping for winter tires. They'll have a lot more selection by then.
Yep, Christmas stuff in August, winter tires in September. Makes sense.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #1516
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey Cecil, don't waste your money on steel wheels. They look like crap and are only marginally cheaper than nicer rims that will actually look good and won't rust. Tire Pirates sell some nice looking cheaper ones. Definitely worth a phone call.

Nicer rims will actually have resale value down the road when you sell the car so I don't think you end up actually paying anything for them in the long run and at least you won't look like your rolling on Chevette rims.
What do you define as marginally cheaper?

Pirates doesn't list prices online but every other source I've looked at, nice rims are at least double, usually more like triple the cost of steel rims.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #1517
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What do you define as marginally cheaper?

Pirates doesn't list prices online but every other source I've looked at, nice rims are at least double, usually more like triple the cost of steel rims.
Not always.

I had gone the steel route as well, and then when looking for the next set (17s), I decided to look around and got a nice looking set of 5 spoke aluminum wheels for $107 each (I think the steels were basically $100, give or take). Personal taste notwithstanding, the silver aluminum wheels look way better than black steel wheels
Old 08-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #1518
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not always.

I had gone the steel route as well, and then when looking for the next set (17s), I decided to look around and got a nice looking set of 5 spoke aluminum wheels for $107 each (I think the steels were basically $100, give or take). Personal taste notwithstanding, the silver aluminum wheels look way better than black steel wheels
That's a good price. Mind if I ask where? I'm pretty flexible on colour etc.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #1519
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That's a good price. Mind if I ask where? I'm pretty flexible on colour etc.
that was Kal Tire
Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #1520
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
no
no
Haha for serious? Rim is 100% acceptable. From wiki on 'rims':
The term rim is also used non-technically to refer to the entire wheel...
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote