Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2023, 09:14 AM   #10001
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The merch just isn’t as cool.

MAGA merch had a classic car, marlboro-smokin, eagle-flyin AMERICA feeling to it right from the beginning. Early on, it wasn’t just the losers, but the types of people that would say “God bless America” who you could see wearing it. Terrible idiots, the lot of them, but they were our idiots, they were down home.

“F*** Trudeau” just has an Un-Canadian and even Un-American trucker nut jack off vibe to it. Always has, always will. Nickelback on blast, kissin cousins, dumber than dirt in a brown paper bag and coal rollin through the Tim’s drive-thru for a 4x4 and a sausage wrap (extra sausage).

Canadian conservatives are so lame it’s embarrassing. They can’t even class up the whole gay-hated gun-totin anti-government thing. Remember viking guy that stormed the capital? Even he managed more class than people rocking “F*** Trudeau” merch. Just inexcusable for this great country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Canadian far right, conservatives vibing to the "**** Trudeau" thing publicly think they look cool, but they are complete and utter caricatures.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #10002
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure that is a just a really poor Mel Gibson cosplay for Braveheart.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:13 AM   #10003
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I mean how far away are we from the NDP being the opposition?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1724177060799656048
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 10:46 AM   #10004
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

The recent polls are very interesting, because they are a direct result of Liberal's new regional carbon carve out policy, and NDP recent voting for fairness and siding with the CPC.

This is the first legitimate jump in the polls that the NDP has seen this election cycle. Will the NDP take this new opportunity and try to take advantage? Opposition status is clearly there for the taking.

The other side of the coin is the remarkable surge from the Green Party which shouldn't be unnoticed. There clearly is a move from environmentalists who think both the Liberals and the NDP not taking the carbon tax seriously with these carve outs, and have gone to the extreme. The jump seems enough for the Green Party to squeak out a number of seats.

What the Liberals did is honestly quite special. They pissed off environmentalists by creating the carve out in the first place to save their political bacon, and they pissed off their regional voters. And they still didn't buy the Atlantic vote as expected. The only thing left seemingly are the partisans.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 11:00 AM   #10005
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Greens almost always poll higher than at election time(I do see last election they were 6.6, that's probably people sick of all the alternatives). I wouldn't read much into that one. NDP are still polling in their typical range. The seat projection stuff is totally irrelevant right now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1724117040938520714
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:03 AM   #10006
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Greens almost always poll higher than at election time(I do see last election they were 6.6, that's probably people sick of all the alternatives). I wouldn't read much into that one. NDP are still polling in their typical range. The seat projection stuff is totally irrelevant right now.

Yes as irrelevant as the liberals doing a carbon tax carve out for Atlantic Canada.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #10007
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Yes as irrelevant as the liberals doing a carbon tax carve out for Atlantic Canada.
I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #10008
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

It'd be interesting to see the regional breakdowns. Unless the NDP somehow make massive gains in Quebec, it's hard to see them being a major player come election time.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:55 PM   #10009
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It'd be interesting to see the regional breakdowns. Unless the NDP somehow make massive gains in Quebec, it's hard to see them being a major player come election time.
I would not be surprised to see the federal NDP make inroads in Edmonton and Calgary.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:42 PM   #10010
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I would not be surprised to see the federal NDP make inroads in Edmonton and Calgary.
I’d think the odds of that are high based on what Danielle Smith is and isn’t doing right now.
As long as the NDP present candidates who are more in line with Notley than with Singh I think they could have big chunks of Calgary and just about all of Edmonton in the bag.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:01 PM   #10011
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’d take that trade off with how much the Conservatives are making inroads with other parts of the country.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #10012
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lant-1.7028281

All for the plant and possibly another ~350 permanent jobs, but why exactly is the Federal Government supplying $970M of funding to an already established, private enterprise so that it can expand operations?

Should they not be growing on their own accord and with their own financing? Up to ~350 jobs (which I imagine is an extremely optimistic estimate) doesn't exactly seem like a good return on investment at this price tag unless the feds are getting a serious share of profits to pay this back.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 11-14-2023 at 03:53 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 03:57 PM   #10013
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1724557822250127823
Old 11-14-2023, 04:03 PM   #10014
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary '89 View Post
I’d think the odds of that are high based on what Danielle Smith is and isn’t doing right now.
As long as the NDP present candidates who are more in line with Notley than with Singh I think they could have big chunks of Calgary and just about all of Edmonton in the bag.
What stance do you think they should be taking on illegal occupations and blockades?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 04:12 PM   #10015
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What stance do you think they should be taking on illegal occupations and blockades?
I told you man, I don’t negotiate with extremists. Go entertain yourself elsewhere and let the debate go on here.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:17 PM   #10016
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

All for the plant and possibly another ~350 permanent jobs, but why exactly is the Federal Government supplying $970M of funding to an already established, private enterprise so that it can expand operations?

Should they not be growing on their own accord and with their own financing? Up to ~350 jobs (which I imagine is an extremely optimistic estimate) doesn't exactly seem like a good return on investment at this price tag unless the feds are getting a serious share of profits to pay this back.
You misread it. It reads:
A statement says the province is contributing up to $80 million, with $970 million coming from the federal government, E-One Moli and private sources.
The "statement" in question is a press release from the BC government, so it's written from a BC-government-centric point of view that $80M is coming from them, and the balance of the $1.05B is coming from "the federal government, E-One Moli, and private sources", i.e.: everyone else.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 04:34 PM   #10017
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I told you man, I don’t negotiate with extremists. Go entertain yourself elsewhere and let the debate go on here.

Thanks for reading.
I believe terrorist was the term you had previously used to describe me, and I haven’t been negotiating with you, trust me there’s a big difference between a negotiation and demonstrating why something someone stated made no practical sense. But if you’re to scared to debate it that’s cool I’ll just continue to make my points while you run and hide

I think this is an important question. After all you were the one who said that politicians shouldn’t be alienating people simply for having different views, or I should say that you were saying that until someone called you out on it and you couldn’t bull#### your way out of your own bull####.

That’s fine if you can’t back up what you say, there’s lots of people who can’t. But let’s not pretend like it’s my fault. Deal? Oh shoot now we’re negotiating
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 04:41 PM   #10018
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I believe terrorist was the term you had previously used to describe me, and I haven’t been negotiating with you, trust me there’s a big difference between a negotiation and demonstrating why something someone stated made no practical sense. But if you’re to scared to debate it that’s cool I’ll just continue to make my points while you run and hide
I’m TERRIFIED.

Go entertain yourself man. This is a public forum not just for you and me. I don’t see a large difference between you and truckers tbh. I’m not interested in dialogue with you. I can afford to say that cuz I’m not a political leader!
Old 11-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #10019
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post

THat is a poorly written article, and you read it wrong.
That article says "with $970 million coming from the federal government, E-One Moli and private sources"

It doesn't say the Feds are putting up $970 MM.

With a tiny bit of googling it looks like the federal contribution will be $204.5 MM
https://globalnews.ca/news/10091780/...t-maple-ridge/

You might not like that number either, but at least it is accurate.

Edit: Should have read 2 more posts before I responded.
Oh well, at least now the actual number is in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2023, 05:47 PM   #10020
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m TERRIFIED.
That’s a relief, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn’t a case of you being completely unprepared to debate your arguably unfounded positions despite claiming multiple times that you were happy to engage in debates. I mean who would do such a thing?

Quote:
Go entertain yourself man.
I am

Quote:
This is a public forum not just for you and me.
Correct.

Quote:
I don’t see a large difference between you and truckers tbh.
Now we’re getting somewhere, please indulge us all with your rationale behind that theory.

Quote:
I’m not interested in dialogue with you.
I think your actions suggest otherwise, unless someone has hijacked your account or something.

Quote:
I can afford to say that cuz I’m not a political leader!
Are you sure?