Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 04:52 PM   #14041
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
In no way is anyone required to accept or tolerate their behaviour without expressing disdain for or annoyance at it or the consequences of said behaviour. Sliver's sentiment may be a bit insensitive for some of you, but let's face it, we've all gotten annoyed at one time or another over behavior that someone was very likely unable to control. We're allowed.
Nobody said you weren’t “allowed” to feel your big feelings. Why do people immediately go to “I’m allowed!” like children? Of course you are, you’re big boy adults, but part of being one means some people will make fun of you when you act like over-dramatic babies about things.

“This is chaos!”
“His needs before a million others!”
“Maximum #######!”

My guys, I actually take a route closed by his antics. I physically saw him with my own eyes on my commute to and from work. It cost me a whopping 5-10 minutes each way.

The problem with the whole pick-me, “we’re allowed” and “all my feelings are someone else’s responsibility” types is you end up being the same people who don’t feel like you need to follow the rules because someone else didn’t. Like, there were people really causing accidents on Memorial because they couldn’t handle the inconvenience.

The idea that you can express disdain or annoyance over someone doing something but as soon as someone expresses the same about you it’s just “we’re allowed!” is… hilarious.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:07 PM   #14042
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have safe injection sites, we have safe drug distribution, whats stopping us from the next step?

Quick. Clean. Efficient. And I assume the City collects the Quarters as Revenue.

Inconveniences only the other people in line.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 06:45 PM   #14043
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

People will just tie a string around the quarter so we can’t collect the fee and the program’s business case will fall apart.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:46 PM   #14044
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I put it on my credit card and never pay it off?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:04 PM   #14045
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Getting annoyed isn't the problem, it's expressing the sentiment that lacks empathy. So yes, it is a gear grinder so I guess it belongs in the thread, but I think Sliver could re-evaluate how much it bothers him in the context of the person involved.
Are you joking around with me? Where's your empathy for the thousands and thousands of people who were totally inconvenienced for one guy being a tit? I have approximately 100,000 times the empathy you have. You're worried for one jackass and I'm concerned about thousands (maybe even a million?) more.

I'm also worried about the 10s of thousands of dollars wasted on this guy. Probably cost more than all of the members of CalgaryPuck pay in taxes a year combined. What a fkn waste. We have waaaaay better things to spend our money on than bs like this and the other a-hole who smashed all the windows on the peace bridge. Two steps forward and then a guy like this comes along and walks us all one step back.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:22 PM   #14046
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We've also recently had environmental protesters supergluing themselves to major arterial roads, again causing traffic chaos in peak hour. They've now brought in criminal punishments for these people including jail time. Sliver would probably like to see them hanged.
I’d like to see traffic rerouted and just leave those people glued/cemented to the road. And honestly, I’m sympathetic to their cause.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:35 PM   #14047
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I’d like to see traffic rerouted and just leave those people glued/cemented to the road. And honestly, I’m sympathetic to their cause.
or just put up a sign, "speed bump ahead"
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 10:19 PM   #14048
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm also sympathetic, but I become less so each time this happens.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:35 PM   #14049
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
My guys, I actually take a route closed by his antics. I physically saw him with my own eyes on my commute to and from work. It cost me a whopping 5-10 minutes each way.
Which means what exactly to the thousands of others faced significantly worse delays?
Old 03-29-2024, 10:46 PM   #14050
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I don't think it's weird to think both "I hope he gets help" and "Thanks for ####ing up my day, #######" at the same time
I agree with that. I also would suspect more than half would lean to just the latter which is the sad part.

Given what else is going on in the world at this moment, becoming as preoccupied with first world "me" problems as we do is something people in a lot of places would scoff at, and probably should. Because we live in one of the cushiest bubbles on the planet in terms of quality of life available to us, but still manage to make the biggest fuss over minor inconveniences that people in impoverished and war-torn places would take over their situations in a heartbeat.

I think no matter where you live or what your situation is, retaining your humanity and compassion is important.

That doesn't mean stopping your entire day for someone in distress, since that's impractical (although that would be cool), but recognizing these things as more than solely an inconvenience. Essentially what you posted there. It's logical to be annoyed, but don't also be a heartless buffoon about it. That's all.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 03-29-2024 at 11:55 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:00 AM   #14051
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

A friend of mine earlier this year wasn’t able to get the help he needed. He didn’t make it. Anyone who thinks more about their stupid inconveniences than the well-being of this man is an #######. Nothing trapped anyone downtown. There were ways around it. Empathy isn’t a bad thing. It’s a strength. You’re weak if you don’t possess it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 12:15 AM   #14052
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
honestly about fire hazards - one of the biggest hazards would be the amount of dead cedar "leaves" inside of cedar hedges around houses. it's almost impossible to get out all the dead stuff unless you remove the deer fencing.
so now you need to remove the deer fencing, get rid of all the dead stuff, then put the deer fencing back up - it's a HUGE pain... and should be done at least once (if not twice) per year - and i guarantee that is NOT happening!
Is it not possible to use a leaf blower to blow the stuff out a few feet and rake it up? You might also be able to blow through the hedge to get some of the loose stuff out too.

I use a leaf blower to move stuff that's difficult to address like leaves on mulch. Get the leaves to the lawn without moving the mulch and rake it up off the lawn.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 12:26 AM   #14053
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
deer rgmg
I initially misread which use of the word deer you used and thought you were composing a letter to the RGMG thread.

"Dear RGMG,

I never thought it would happen to me..."
Old 03-30-2024, 12:28 AM   #14054
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Which means what exactly to the thousands of others faced significantly worse delays?
They should cry harder and stop making their problems seem bigger than they are?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2024, 12:34 AM   #14055
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
A friend of mine earlier this year wasn’t able to get the help he needed. He didn’t make it. Anyone who thinks more about their stupid inconveniences than the well-being of this man is an #######. Nothing trapped anyone downtown. There were ways around it. Empathy isn’t a bad thing. It’s a strength. You’re weak if you don’t possess it.
I don't know about the strength part (social media has this fad lately of twisting mental health into a d## measuring contest), it's just different experiences for different people. Some people are more separate from that side of them, others are more in touch with it, for a bunch of reasons specific to that individual. In a funny/ironic way, it takes empathy to understand that too! But yeah, if they don't experience empathy at all, they probably suffer from a personality disorder of some kind because that's unhealthy.

I will say this

It's easy to make a split-second judgements about an ailing person doing something drastic until you've been that ailing person and experienced the kind of mental torture that makes something drastic suddenly seem logical and the only way through.

The mind can really warp your perception in scary ways when it's troubled and you don't have help and support to ground you. The thought process involved likely isn't anywhere near rational if they're far gone enough to take action.
Old 03-30-2024, 12:54 AM   #14056
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think at any point the guy takes pleasure from the chaos he's caused. He is not well and yeah, there are much healthier ways to respond to that, but you aren't thinking rationally so it's hard to make good decisions.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:10 AM   #14057
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

It isn't like a rationally thinking person just having a bout of sadness and deciding with full awareness to inconvenience people and put on a show. That's a massive misconception to have, but is one probably many would make, just out of a lack of understanding behind the situation and inability to relate from their own experience.

But should we jump to denigrating those people for that misconception (because on the surface it comes off insensitive)? I think educating them would be infinitely more valuable.
Old 03-30-2024, 01:49 AM   #14058
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I mean, respectfully, I think Torquedog and Sliver (and others who share that sentiment) were pretty clear that they're cognisant of the situation and have their perspective on it. Not sure they need educating.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:59 AM   #14059
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, respectfully, I think Torquedog and Sliver (and others who share that sentiment) were pretty clear that they're cognisant of the situation and have their perspective on it. Not sure they need educating.
Yeah, no kidding.

I'll also say that some well-meaning people just draw out this bs for the family of the ill by coddling people who are hell bent on their own self destruction. If an entire city and a platoon of emergency services personnel work around a guy fking around on a bridge for 20 hours I guarantee you this guy had a bunch of friends and family who are at their wit's end thinking 'just let him fking do it'.

I'd love to be as naive as you guys and think you can hold somebody's hand like this forever.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:32 AM   #14060
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, no kidding.

I'll also say that some well-meaning people just draw out this bs for the family of the ill by coddling people who are hell bent on their own self destruction. If an entire city and a platoon of emergency services personnel work around a guy fking around on a bridge for 20 hours I guarantee you this guy had a bunch of friends and family who are at their wit's end thinking 'just let him fking do it'.

I'd love to be as naive as you guys and think you can hold somebody's hand like this forever.
As someone who had a sister attempt suicide, a father in law suffer from years of psychotic episodes brought on by treatments from a physical ailment - you are cruel and uninformed. Maybe you are getting your kicks by posting the most vile and insensitive comments about people with mental illness or maybe you are just this much of an a-hole. Hard to tell, and doesn’t matter. Nobody says to a cancer patient we are going to stop coddling you now, good luck.

All I can ask is stop posting on this subject now, the battle for those with mental illness and their families is hard enough and for those experiencing it your comments are damaging.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post: