Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #341
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Monahan + 1st and Columbus says no BUT Monahan + 1st + KYLINGTON! Columbus says YES! Lol
Maybe not, but the likelihood of getting a yes with that package is infinitely higher then getting a yes from a Backlund, Zary, 1st package amongst others that have been touted here.

Maybe its Monahan, 1st, Kylington and Zary. I think if I'm Brad I would make that deal, though it would hurt.
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #342
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiprusoffResurrection View Post
Maybe not, but the likelihood of getting a yes with that package is infinitely higher then getting a yes from a Backlund, Zary, 1st package amongst others that have been touted here.

Maybe its Monahan, 1st, Kylington and Zary. I think if I'm Brad I would make that deal, though it would hurt.
To me thats too much for a hopeful upgrade on Monahan. Throw in Lucic and I would think about it.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #343
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy has a blue check mark says we are still in the mix. TSN radio guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/MatthewWords
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #344
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would Lucic, Ryan, Kylington AND a 1st get it done?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #345
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This guy has a blue check mark says we are still in the mix. TSN radio guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/MatthewWords
That seems to be based on the interview they just did with The Fourth Period.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #346
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Would Lucic, Ryan, Kylington AND a 1st get it done?
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:00 AM   #347
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they want a captain(s)? Giordano + Lucic + Backlund for PLD
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #348
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Do they want a captain(s)? Giordano + Lucic + Backlund for PLD
Please highlight this in green
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 08:02 AM   #349
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

there's just no chance we add Dubois without including either Gaudreau or Monahan. Not going to happen.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #350
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the reason the Flames are still one of four teams in the mix (along with WPG, MTL and ANA) according to some sources is Monahan. Monahan represents something none of those other three teams can offer: a center of comparable quality. Kekalainen doesn’t seem like the rebuilding type. He wants to ice a competitive lineup, and you need quality centremen to do that.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #351
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post

I don't know if he'd be the third best centre on the roster. Looks pretty dynamic to me.
Don't see anything dynamic in that video. Looks like a more lazy Monahan with more foot speed. PLD takes advantage of some really bad goaltending in the first few goals and then takes advantage of floating around the periphery to clean up the scraps from his linemate's work. He does have speed though, even if he does cherry pick to get his scoring opportunities.

Here's the thing on PLD. He isn't better than Monahan. There isn't a measure in existence that says so. Only jaded Flames fans who are gazing over the fence at a patch of grass they think is greener are saying this. PLD, like Monahan, is a very good player, but PLD has his warts and shortcomings, just like every other player. PLD is likely going to produce similar numbers and be as big a point of frustration for the fans here because all of the things people bitch and complain about Monahan PLD is as good/bad at. So if you move Monahan for him, you're just moving deck chairs around.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #352
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting a kick out of the cap dump trade proposals.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #353
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I only hope it's soon done. I'm sick of hearing about this kid. I get a good laugh reading the Trade Speculation page but the last while its just been dumb and frankly boring. Trade Speculations are fun but sometimes the fixation some fans get over player X is a bit bizarre. Myself with 600 players in the league and no inside info on what Treliving is thinking, I don't do trade speculations. Mugs game to me but it's fun reading thoughts others have.

Had enough with PLD though.

FWIW fan since 67' (yeah I actually saw the Leafs win that cup LOL) and long since stopped "falling in love" with players. It's a team sport and the best skating team (not individuals) wins.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #354
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Here's the thing on PLD. He isn't better than Monahan. There isn't a measure in existence that says so. Only jaded Flames fans who are gazing over the fence at a patch of grass they think is greener are saying this. PLD, like Monahan, is a very good player, but PLD has his warts and shortcomings, just like every other player. PLD is likely going to produce similar numbers and be as big a point of frustration for the fans here because all of the things people bitch and complain about Monahan PLD is as good/bad at. So if you move Monahan for him, you're just moving deck chairs around.
Dubois is 4 years younger though, plus we've seen first hand with Elias what a change of scenery can do for a player.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:10 AM   #355
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
there's just no chance we add Dubois without including either Gaudreau or Monahan. Not going to happen.
Gaudreau really stirs the drink on our Power Play, but it would be a smart use of assets to turn him into PLD. Really extend our window.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #356
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dubois is 4 years younger though, plus we've seen first hand with Elias what a change of scenery can do for a player.
We've also seen first hand with numerous other players, that a change of scenery doesn't make a lick of difference.

It's fine to trade for PLD, but I wouldn't be backing up the dump truck with draft picks to make it happen (in addition to Monahan).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #357
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Don't see anything dynamic in that video. Looks like a more lazy Monahan with more foot speed. PLD takes advantage of some really bad goaltending in the first few goals and then takes advantage of floating around the periphery to clean up the scraps from his linemate's work. He does have speed though, even if he does cherry pick to get his scoring opportunities.

Agree. Not certain there is upside here. Maybe playoffs Dubois actually pours his heart into it though whereas Monahan can’t or won’t or whatever.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #358
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Gaudreau really stirs the drink on our Power Play, but it would be a smart use of assets to turn him into PLD. Really extend our window.
I agree it’s worth considering because we only have 2 years of Gaudreau left. We need to be really sober about this. Gaudreau is not re-signing so using him to get new assets needs to be considered kinda like now.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:20 AM   #359
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who gives a #### who is younger? Like Monahan at 26 is ancient! This is a team trying to win right now. Save the change of scenery garbage too. Change doesn't mean improvement. Lindholm's massive breakout was because he was on Monahan's wing and playing as the third wheel on one of the most dynamic pairs in the game. PLD is not going to gain that same benefit if the deal is Monahan for PLD. That dynamic duo is broken up and PLD will have to see if he can find the chemistry with Gaudreau to achieve success. No guarantee there. Most of these proposals are shuffling of deck chairs and thinking just that little change will stop the ship from sinking. Problem is, PLD is not just a deck chair like Monahan, he's a chair from the same set with the same characteristics. No significant change or improvement in situation.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #360
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who gives a #### who is younger? Like Monahan at 26 is ancient! This is a team trying to win right now. Save the change of scenery garbage too. Change doesn't mean improvement. Lindholm's massive breakout was because he was on Monahan's wing and playing as the third wheel on one of the most dynamic pairs in the game. PLD is not going to gain that same benefit if the deal is Monahan for PLD. That dynamic duo is broken up and PLD will have to see if he can find the chemistry with Gaudreau to achieve success. No guarantee there. Most of these proposals are shuffling of deck chairs and thinking just that little change will stop the ship from sinking. Problem is, PLD is not just a deck chair like Monahan, he's a chair from the same set with the same characteristics. No significant change or improvement in situation.
lol I'm not saying Monahan is ancient, come on. I'm saying at this point we all know what Monahan is and what he adds to the Flames. Even if you think Dubois is just another Monahan, he still might have more upside than that. And as for the last part, you have no idea whether there'd be change or improvement. We all have no idea how Dubois would do next to Gaudreau - could be great, could be underwhelming. But personally I like the chances when it comes to a talented young player like Dubois.

I wouldn't break the bank for Dubois, but I don't see why we should outright dismiss a trade for him like you are. There's a reason half the league is interested, young good centermen are kind of sought after.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post: