Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #241
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, and Nick Sandmann smiled at a stealing-valor lying adult and was crucified for it (and then made bank).

But thanks, now we can add Trudeau to the list of reasons why Miller isn't responsible for pissing on a lollipop, forcing a disabled Black teen eat it, smash his face into a brick wall and called him racist names. And then refused to apologize as an adult.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #242
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
But we won't. He'll apologize. And it won't be enough. .
It would have been if he did it four years ago, and barring that, ten months ago when he was an adult.

He didn't. Now he may understand you face consequences for your actions. Seems like a win to me.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #243
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yawn. Miller was punished for what he did and I agree with the punishment. He now has an opportunity to be a better person
He's had the opportunity for years and not only did he decline to, he wanted to rub it in. The whole 'NOW has the opportunity' angle is purely because this is blowing up in his face. You said you don't doubt the victim's, or his mother's word, yes? Here:

https://theathletic.com/2162185/2020...-bullying-nhl/
Quote:
Hello – I’m the mother of the boy that Mitchell Miller bullied.

I read the statements made by the GM (Bill Armstrong) etc. and find them demeaning to our son. Are you aware Mitchell NEVER apologized to our son? Are you aware two years ago he still taunted him? Are you aware this went on for years? Do you understand the mental damage Mitchell did to our son?
Old 10-27-2020, 06:42 PM   #244
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
cannon7 can you tell me why as an adult he didn't reach out? And why you think that's acceptable? And not just acceptable, but willing to give him a second chance for.

I'm not talking about as a 14 year old. He was an 18 year old with the foresight to reach out to NHL teams to offer "apologies" but not his actual victim? That's no longer when he was 14, I'm mad at his (in)actions as an adult more than anything.
I don't know this young man. Nor do you.

I don't know what he did or didn't do. Nor do you.

I don't know what is in his heart or if he feels remorse. Nor do you.

He's been legally an adult for less than ten months.

He still has a lot to learn. He's now getting a lesson about the world few ever experience.

I'm willing to be patient. I was 18 once.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #245
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Interesting, so the Coyotes did at one point think he was unworthy of being drafted and then at some point afterwards was back in consideration.

Quote:
In a June draft meeting with Coyotes scouts and front office staff, Miller was removed from the team’s prospect draft list after concerns were raised about inconsistencies that surfaced when Miller explained this incident, according to multiple people involved in the meeting.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-27-2020 at 06:49 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #246
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We know he called a disabled Black teen multiple racist terms. He pissed on a lollipop (or at the very least put it in a used urinal) and forced that disabled Black teen to eat it. He also smashed the Black teen's face in a wall. We do know that.

We also know that his victim and his family have said there was no sincere apology despite accepting the apology of another one of the bullies.

Quote:
Sure, but you seem to assume that he feels it despite no evidence. Not even an in-person apology.

Quote:
He's been legally an adult for less than ten months.

He still has a lot to learn. He's now getting a lesson about the world few ever experience.

I'm willing to be patient. I was 18 once.
Yeah thank God most of us wont have to experience the hardship of being a racist, violent, disgusting asshat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #247
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know this young man. Nor do you.

As a continuation of said letter in above post:

Quote:
As much as we pray Mitchell will eventually see the damage he did to our son, we have seen no remorse. The other gentleman had a sincere apology to our son and our son forgave him.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:53 PM   #248
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
EDIT: And this is what I’m talking about, did you read that article? “UND alumni are now calling for UND...”? Really? ONE UND alumni said on his own podcast, in his opinion, Miller’s actions disqualify him from getting a scholarship to UND, and he gives his reasons why that are specific to UND. Not only that, the way he frames it in a perfectly reasonable way. Nobody called on UND to revoke it, and certainly not multiple alumni like you suggest. Why distort the truth to make your point?
Bill Miller (no relation), a UND alumn, went on his show and called for Mitchell Miller to have his scholarship revoked. And his arguments is the same nonsensical claim that all 14 year olds know right from wrong. That claim doesn't even hold true for adults, let alone children.

You're objecting to the word "alumni"? Okay then.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #249
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
It would have been if he did it four years ago, and barring that, ten months ago when he was an adult.
Well you better get to work on that time machine, Doc.

A young man's future depends on it!

Quote:
He didn't. Now he may understand you face consequences for your actions. Seems like a win to me.
Yep. Endless consequences. We'll make him into a cynical bitter bastard just like the rest of us. As god intended.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #250
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We'll make him into a cynical bitter bastard just like the rest of us. As god intended.
Huge step up from racist who abuses disabled teen for 9 years now. Seems like maybe personal growth is in his future!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #251
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
He's had the opportunity for years and not only did he decline to, he wanted to rub it in. The whole 'NOW has the opportunity' angle is purely because this is blowing up in his face. You said you don't doubt the victim's, or his mother's word, yes? Here:

https://theathletic.com/2162185/2020...-bullying-nhl/
The claim that this behavior continued two years after he was in court for it is rather damning.

And I thought The Apology was a mandated part of his initial sentence. How can there be discrepancy over whether it happened?

If I wasn’t confident that by 18 he had taken responsibility for his actions, then I certainly would not have hired him for an important position within my organization. He does seem to have some supporters based on the initial report but not hearing much detail behind that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #252
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'd like to hear Cannon's response to those comments from the mom
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #253
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do like that he invoked his "friend's" name in his letter to NHL teams. Can't even bother to apologize to the guy, but willing to let the NHL teams think that amends were made and they are friends again.

Again, this was the action of an 18 year old, lying about the incident and outcome for personal gain. Not something he did as a 14 year old.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #254
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah thank God most of us wont have to experience the hardship of being a racist, violent, disgusting asshat.
Yet just as full of hate for people you don't even know all the same.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #255
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
And people had no problem calling Downie scum and rooting against him.
Jerk off the ice, injury liability on the ice, and PR liability for the league. There are certainly valid reasons why the league could consider banning players who show a disregard for other people that have nothing to do with vengeance.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #256
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"With embarrassment and remorse, I soon learned the gravity of my words and actions, which were completely wrong and I understand the humility it caused my friend Isaiah and his family."

It's pure bull####. He didn't soon learn the gravity of his words. He's alleged to have kept the bullying going for another two years. Then didn't bother to apologize two years after that and counting. And then calling his victim, who so impacted by his actions that he was mentally harmed seeing him get drafted, a friend? That's just adding to the insult.

#### this guy.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #257
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet just as full of hate for people you don't even know all the same.
Based on what I do no about him now, hate might be a strong word but I certainly am not rooting for him to have an NHL career. Hopefully he doesn't even make it to the AHL.

Despicable actions as a 14 year old, 16 year old and lying about it as an 18 year old.

There's a finite number of spots in the big leagues, I'd prefer whatever replacement to him making it instead of him.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #258
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah I'd like to hear Cannon's response to those comments from the mom
There's a reason we don't allow our accusers to sit in the jury box.

If Miller was still tormenting her son two years later, she should have reported it.

Can't help but appreciate the irony that advocating for prudence results in knives being pulled out.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #259
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Huge step up from racist who abuses disabled teen for 9 years now. Seems like maybe personal growth is in his future!
It worked for Mike Danton! We can't fail! Powers of Internet stupidity unite!
Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #260
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Miller was still tormenting her son two years later, she should have reported it.
But there's no victim blaming here guys!