Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #121
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is, with the Blackhawks, I don't think too many people realize the story of Chief Black Hawk and what happened to him. To most people, it sounds like the name of a fiece warrior and someone who doesn't take crap.

How many people here have ever said that they were "jipped" when they were ripped off without thinking that the term is derogatory to Roma people (known mostly as "gypsies")? Who here has told or likes to tell Polish jokes without realizing the origin of these jokes?

I don't really know what my point is to be honest other than that things get forgotten over time. If every racial, cultural, ethnic and religious group on the planet held on to their convictions, there would never be any movement forward. I'm not saying their plights should be forgotten, but some of the negative associations need to be let go.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #122
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My Irish heritage is offended by this. We don't go around starting fights out of sheer rage. For gods sake won't somebody think of the potato famine??
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #123
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Quarterback View Post
It's true that it refers to the original French settlers of Quebec but today it is considered an insult because the "habitant" way of life was associated with cultural and econommic backwardness for a long time (see for example Fernand Ouellet's Economic and Social History of Quebec). If you don't believe me, go to Quebec and call someone there an habitant. You're sure to get a good smack in the face.
Habitant? Tabernac!

Now I've got two cusses I can bust out in the event of a Quebecois argument.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #124
Armchair Quarterback
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Habitant? Tabernac!

I recommend you try these:

-Maudit fif
-Mange de la marde
-Va chier
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #125
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post

My Irish heritage is offended by this. We don't go around starting fights out of sheer rage. For gods sake won't somebody think of the potato famine??
Then perhaps you should take up the issue with the IRISH institution that adopted the name.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #126
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Fixed.

My wife grew up in Canada and is Inuit, Inupiaq to be exact. She didn't know it was a slur. Many of her family self describe with the word.

ed
Yeah that's fine if your wife wants to call herself eskimo, she has every right. I think the problem is when others take over the name because they think they are dealing with a dead society or at least one that doesn't matter, there becomes a problem. Here's a quote from the first link.

Quote:
From Risling, the former Stanford student: "Indian people are living, breathing people. And having someone reduced to a mascot or a symbol so a whole other group of people can 'become Indian' and negate all those living, breathing Indian people, that's unacceptable. Anytime we say non-Indians can become Indian by becoming a mascot, we say real Indians don't exist."
So a Scottish football team calls themselves the Celtic, no problem because they are Celtic. If some native team wants to call themselves the Wagon Burners (they have a sense of humour) that's their right. For anglo saxon teams to take native names or phony native culture as in the case of Chief Wahoo or the old Atlanta Braves mascot, isn't their right, in fact it's often racist.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #127
superfarmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree Redskins has to go. How about the Washington Whiteies
superfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #128
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That logo was probably drawn by someone who was Irish. Or the team owners were. Or most of the fans.

The native logos certainly were not.

Do you see a difference?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #129
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Habitant? Tabernac!

Would that make Mikey "Michel Lé Habitànt?" if he were in Quebec?
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #130
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

wont be the popular opinion on CP, but i like these names. Id rather see a tame called the indians or the redskins than the mighty ducks or the golden seals or other mickey mouse garbage.

its not like any of the native americans today lived through the atrocities that occurred in the past. and though it may be a part of their heritage and history, it is so distant that it is as much a story to them as it is to us. (sorry for using so much "them" and "us", just trying to make a point).

i dont see the big deal, i think people need to calm down with the whole political correctness. People getting all upset and defending their heritage (any race or background) are usually defending a culture and heritage they never knew.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #131
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
wont be the popular opinion on CP, but i like these names. Id rather see a tame called the indians or the redskins than the mighty ducks or the golden seals or other mickey mouse garbage.

its not like any of the native americans today lived through the atrocities that occurred in the past. and though it may be a part of their heritage and history, it is so distant that it is as much a story to them as it is to us. (sorry for using so much "them" and "us", just trying to make a point).

i dont see the big deal, i think people need to calm down with the whole political correctness. People getting all upset and defending their heritage (any race or background) are usually defending a culture and heritage they never knew.
You shouldn't make blanket statements.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #132
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't wanna call you a liar....
Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #133
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty obvious the word "Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe Natives. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. Try going up to a Native and calling him/her that. See what kind of reaction you get.

"Hey Redskin, can you tell me what time it is?" No, that doesn't sound derogatory at all!
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #134
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't "canuck" a derogatory term towards Canadians?

If it wasn't before, it is now!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #135
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post

That's a very, very ignorant statement to make.
The residential school system is still a nightmare that two entire generations of Aboriginals deal with every day in Canada.
Aboriginals are still victimized in Canadian society. They are overrepresented at every level of our Criminal Justice system. They statistically are convicted of more crimes than white Canadians, and statistically receive jail sentences more than white Canadians. They account for 4% of our total population, but somehow make up 20% of our prison population, with female Aboriginals accounting for 33%.

So think before you make statements like that.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #136
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the name 'Blue Jackets' has nothing to do with the civil war. I actually thought it would be awesome if it did, but instead it's some kind of gnat/fly/bug and they used to have them on their jerseys.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #137
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my experience, most people (not all) that complain about political correctness are white men. In other words, the one group in the history of western civilization that has never been ostracized, marginalized, belittled and has had every advantage handed to them since birth. This is also the same group that has done the ostracizing, marginalizing and belittling. It's also the same group that invented many of the racially derogatory terms and their associated conotations that are expressely meant to degrade and insult 'the others'. So many white men seem to complain bitterly about the PC culture that they find themselves in but rarely would one call a native a "Redskin" to his face, or a Jew a "kyke", or an African a "n!gger" (I can't even type it out and I'm guessing it's blocked here anyways). I'm guessing that Mikey and others that are so brave as to challenge these gutless minorities wanting to be called by a name that is something other than offensive would never dare call them a Redskin, kyke, etc to their face. Why is that? Why is it that it's okay to push the anti-PC agenda on the internet or when hanging out at the pub with the other poor, neglected white dudes but never use an offensive term to a minority when standing face to face?

Always proudly supporting the:

New York Yids
New Orleans Niggs
Chicago Chinks
Jacksonville Japs
Richmond Ragheads
Edmonton Mullets

Okay, the last one is acceptable under any circumstances. Tradition! Hail!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #138
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
Blackhawk is in honour of the slaughter of American Natives in the Blackhawk war, which was pretty much a complete bloodbath for the Natives. Black Hawk lived and was transported east where they got him out at various towns to show his face (along with the other captured Natives) so that everyone knew who won the slaughter. People would come out and burn the images of the Natives in effigy, once they arrived at their final destination they settled in to live out most of their remaining days in prison.

Not sure how other ethnic groups would react if sports teams were named to honour times when they were slaughtered but I would guess they would find it equally offensive.
The Calgary Flames are named after the fall of Atlanta during the American Civil War. A bloody battle that precipitated the fall of Confederate forces in the city, followed by the burning of thousands of homes and businesses and the forced evacuation of all citizens. It was an act that destroyed the lives and livelihoods of over 20,000 innocent civilians.

How would the descendants of these poor people react if they knew that our beloved hockey team is named after such a tragic event? I think they would find it pretty damn offensive and I propose that we change the name of the Flames to show that we are an enlightened and respectful fan base.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #139
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
speaking of the Columbus Blue Jackets and digging into a name, this should throw a new wrinkle into the discussion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Jacket
not really, but that was an interesting read.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #140
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
The Calgary Flames are named after the fall of Atlanta during the American Civil War. A bloody battle that precipitated the fall of Confederate forces in the city, followed by the burning of thousands of homes and businesses and the forced evacuation of all citizens. It was an act that destroyed the lives and livelihoods of over 20,000 innocent civilians.

How would the descendants of these poor people react if they knew that our beloved hockey team is named after such a tragic event? I think they would find it pretty damn offensive and I propose that we change the name of the Flames to show that we are an enlightened and respectful fan base.
Did the city of Atlanta proceed to show off the burned to death victims on a sideshow road trip for months to show their superiority over the victims? Because then, I could agree with your statement.