Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 10:33 AM   #41
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Its not like Gary Bittman is picking. Do the PHWA care about the Rangers going off on the league? I bet many members (privately) agree with them.
Was just talking tongue in cheek

#conspiracyagainsttherangers
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't Fox make a comment at one of the development camps about being concerned about lack of spots in Calgary? Am I making that up?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Didn't Fox make a comment at one of the development camps about being concerned about lack of spots in Calgary? Am I making that up?
Maybe, but if so, IMO it was an excuse or maybe just trying to be diplomatic. If so, why didn’t he just sign with Carolina? Was he afraid of the Brent Pesce competition?

At the time Calgary had 3 good D (Gio, Brodie, Hamilton). plus Hamonic. So top 4 in his rookie season was not in the cards. But really, the bottom two spots were open and up for grabs among Andersson, Stone, Kylington and Valimaki. Nah, he wanted to go to NYC.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #44
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe, but if so, IMO it was an excuse or maybe just trying to be diplomatic. If so, why didn’t he just sign with Carolina? Was he afraid of the Brent Pesce competition?

At the time Calgary had 3 good D (Gio, Brodie, Hamilton). plus Hamonic. So top 4 in his rookie season was not in the cards. But really, the bottom two spots were open and up for grabs among Andersson, Stone, Kylington and Valimaki. Nah, he wanted to go to NYC.
Relax, just curious if he did say that. Not a criticism of Treliving.

We'll never know how it exactly went down, other than player was happy to go back to college vs. signing an ELC and getting to his next contract quicker.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Relax, just curious if he did say that. Not a criticism of Treliving.

We'll never know how it exactly went down, other than player was happy to go back to college vs. signing an ELC and getting to his next contract quicker.
Relax? Just saying what I think, which is he always wanted to play there. And I think it’s pretty common knowledge that’s what he wanted. He doesn’t strike me as a kid who was not confident enough to enter a camp with a lot of competition. Heck, the NYR wasn’t exactly empty of D back then either. Their top 4 was DeAngelo (who looked good back then), Shattenkirk, Pionk and Skjei who was a first rounder.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #46
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Hedman. All day long.
He does lead in the most important category according to voters:

Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #47
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
Darnell nurse should win lol jk
I know you were jk but he should finish around 7th or 8th in voting this year IMO.

My finalists would be Fox, Hedman and Makar. Fox should win but Hedman will.

McAvoy, Theodore, Petry, Nurse, Carlson, will all get some votes as well.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #48
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope Fox wins. Wish he had been playing here but Calgary would have buried him in the AHL because Treliving in his own words says you can’t over cook these kids down there grrr
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #49
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ever done some sort of analysis on if there is any correlation between time spent in the AHL and chance to become a Star? Does over or under cooking make any difference? I imagine it just comes down to getting more minutes down there then in the NHL than anything else?
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #50
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I hope Fox wins. Wish he had been playing here but Calgary would have buried him in the AHL because Treliving in his own words says you can’t over cook these kids down there grrr
Just because I'm sure it will pop up again...Adam Fox was never going to sign in Calgary or Carolina and pretty much said as much himself in an interview with ESPN a couple weeks ago.

SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #51
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
I know you were jk but he should finish around 7th or 8th in voting this year IMO.

My finalists would be Fox, Hedman and Makar. Fox should win but Hedman will.

McAvoy, Theodore, Petry, Nurse, Carlson, will all get some votes as well.
I think it goes without saying that Nurse will get one idiotic ####ing homer vote.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #52
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am suppressed Tanger is not in these talks. He has been having one hell of a year so far. Only 2 points back, +19, just has it all.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Just because I'm sure it will pop up again...Adam Fox was never going to sign in Calgary or Carolina and pretty much said as much himself in an interview with ESPN a couple weeks ago.

Really carefully walking on eggshells with those answers.

Obviously not very honest answers but most hockey interviews are BS.

I still fail to understand the NYC "dream", but whatever.

Teams should start surveying US college players pre-draft for the New York Factor.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-07-2021 at 01:12 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #54
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It would’ve been interesting to see if the Flames could’ve sold him on the Flames had there been a clear cut top 4 right side position available. At the time the Flames had TJ Brodie, Dougie Hamilton, Travis Hamonic, Michael Stone and Rasmus Andersson ahead of him in the depth chart. If I’m him, I probably wouldn’t like my chances either.

Then he gets shipped off to Carolina and once again he has a bevy of right side defensemen to leap over in Pesce, Faulk and once again Dougie Hamilton. Obviously he ended up as a Ranger which was his dream, but if Hamilton and Hamonic weren’t in his way, I do still wonder if he would’ve just said #### it, I can’t wait any longer, I’m ready to go pro and signed with the Flames.

Johnny Gaudreau only needed to wait one more year and he could’ve signed with the Flyers, but ended up choosing to come here because there was almost no depth at forward in 2014.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #55
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It would’ve been interesting to see if the Flames could’ve sold him on the Flames had there been a clear cut top 4 right side position available. At the time the Flames had TJ Brodie, Dougie Hamilton, Travis Hamonic, Michael Stone and Rasmus Andersson ahead of him in the depth chart. If I’m him, I probably wouldn’t like my chances either.

Then he gets shipped off to Carolina and once again he has a bevy of right side defensemen to leap over in Pesce, Faulk and once again Dougie Hamilton. Obviously he ended up as a Ranger which was his dream, but if Hamilton and Hamonic weren’t in his way, I do still wonder if he would’ve just said #### it, I can’t wait any longer, I’m ready to go pro and signed with the Flames.

Johnny Gaudreau only needed to wait one more year and he could’ve signed with the Flyers, but ended up choosing to come here because there was almost no depth at forward in 2014.
Also Johnny Gaudreau is a class act who recognized the importance of showing loyalty to the team that chose to draft you.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #56
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Also Johnny Gaudreau is a class act who recognized the importance of showing loyalty to the team that chose to draft you.
That’s true. But the Flames didn’t do themselves any favors by making it almost impossible for Fox to jump right in. He had the leverage in his situation, so the Flames could’ve tried to make it a more enticing environment for Fox so he couldn’t say no.

Was it more about him not wanting to play in the AHL or was it more about him definitely wanting to play in New York. I’m not sure we’ll ever know the real answer. Obviously it looks like he wanted to play in new york. But I did see a ln article once a few years back where he did dispute that, although it could be lip service.

Just kind of sad that in hindsight; Hamonic and Hamilton didn’t help the Flames much at all and there’s a top 4 spot with his name on it. Think it’s pretty obvious that Fox > Andersson.

EDIT: Having 2 Norris calibre defensemen certainly would’ve been nice to have, especially at the age of 23.

Last edited by Classic_Sniper; 05-07-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #57
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think I speak for common sense when I say Adam Fox's decision had nothing to do with our defense corps and everything to with playing for the New York Rangers at 22.

I don't agree with Fox's decision and will never enjoy his success as a hockey fan because I think Calgary is a great city and who knows what kind of happiness he could of found here had he just given it a chance. There's a big world outside your NE US bubble dude.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #58
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
I think I speak for common sense when I say Adam Fox's decision had nothing to do with our defense corps and everything to with playing for the New York Rangers at 22.

I don't agree with Fox's decision and will never enjoy his success as a hockey fan because I think Calgary is a great city and who knows what kind of happiness he could of found here had he just given it a chance. There's a big world outside your NE US bubble dude.
Well Calgary has always been home to me even though I spend majority of my time outside of it travelling due to business. Usually after 2 months away, I get a huge pang of home sickness and I have to make a trip back home. I guess that's because my entire family is in Calgary. As they say - there are amazing parts of the world - but no place like home. Who knows that his family dynamic/structure is like. He's a smart dude who went to Harvard. Have to respect him for that. He said his degree was one of his priorities. Seems like a pretty driven dude who understood the system and the rules and played them to reach his "goals".

I hate it as a Flames fan but I blame the game rather than the player. He didn't act outside of the rules and he gave the Flames enough notice so that they didn't lose him for nothing. Wish him the best of luck.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #59
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Screw Allen Fox.
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #60
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also - not directly on topic bit of a sidetrack - I'd be slightly surprised if Auston Matthews signs an extension beyond his current contract to stay with the Leafs. He signed his 3 year ELC and then signed a 5 year extension. I think he wants to play in the US. I really don't blame these American players though. If you've spent as much time as I have in my life in the US, you'll quickly realize that Americans are full of themselves (rightly or wrongly). A vast majority of Americans know NOTHING about US other than they've heard about Toronto or if you're lucky - Vancouver.

Then you have the Canadian players being drafted by American franchises like Crosby, Bergeron, Toews, Getzlaf, Huberdeau, Seguin etc. They're not really running to come back to Canada either. They're credited for being loyal. Umm maybe its just that they got what they wanted - to live and play in the US. Tavares is the only player of note in the last 10-15 years that was a big name that came back "Home".

Last edited by InternationalVillager; 05-07-2021 at 02:11 PM.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote