Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #21
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally I can understand, if not agree, from both perspectives but this one just seems bad by Minnesota.

Coyle was an important impact player in recent years with a year left with a solid caphit (less so salary as it was backloaded).

Donato is a fine prospect but not the type of player that should get you to move a 20-30-50 type player.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #22
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Donato has a ton of potential. He looked amazing in his stint with the Bruins a few years back but has been finding his way since then. .
His first NHL game was less than a year ago, March 2018. Even the Olympics were not that long ago, so not sure if you have him confused or if you're lucky and time isn't moving as quickly for you.

He did have a good, very limited, showing in the NHL to start but eventually became a healthy scratch during the playoffs.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #23
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Normally I can understand, if not agree, from both perspectives but this one just seems bad by Minnesota.

Coyle was an important impact player in recent years with a year left with a solid caphit (less so salary as it was backloaded).

Donato is a fine prospect but not the type of player that should get you to move a 20-30-50 type player.
Especially when good rfas are getting huge money. Coyle is making 3rd/4th line money but capable of 2nd line ice time. If he was a ufa this deal is ok but to me that is a poor return for a good player with a good contract
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #24
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I want similar price for Hayes
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #25
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Is Coyle as good as you guys are saying? I don't watch Minnesota games unless I have to because they are such a boring team but Donato is a very good prospect. I was under the impression Coyle is a bottom 6 guy.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #26
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coyle is a nice player but being overrated. He's hit 50 points once and he's not going to do it this year either.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #27
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Coyle is a nice player but being overrated. He's hit 50 points once and he's not going to do it this year either.
I agree. If he is on your second line, then that is a sign your team has depth issues. I would have loved to have him on our 4th line, but I am sure there are better ways to spend assets.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #28
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Good trade for Boston, Coyle is just entering his prime at around .5 ppg for his career. Contract looks good too.

Donato could potentially be a steal if he continues to improve. But that 5th rounder should be more like a 3rd for me.
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #29
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the trade both ways. Gives Boston some size and skill in the bottom six. Lets Minnesota retool by shedding some cap space and getting a young body. Coyle was never the player I thought he could be.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #30
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames must not be interested in Coyle, because you'd think they could have beat this offer easily if they were.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Flames must not be interested in Coyle, because you'd think they could have beat this offer easily if they were.
Dillon Dube+5th? Ewwww
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #32
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
makes too much money for middling player.

flames don't need middling players, arguably they have too many.

what they need is bonafide upgrades on the second and third line.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #33
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of the problems for the Flames is that teams are likely holding out for one of the 3 rookie d-men in a trade...and I doubt that Treliving really wants to move any of them.

Overall like the deal for Boston.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
One of the problems for the Flames is that teams are likely holding out for one of the 3 rookie d-men in a trade...and I doubt that Treliving really wants to move any of them.

The Flames problem is indeed that they have a small number of good prospects:
Valimaki
Kylington
Dube

That's your first tier (in my view) and probably the guys everyone wants. Do you trade any of them for a guy like Coyle? I don't.

Then you are into tier 2
Mangiapane
Parsons
Foo
Gillies
Philips
Petterson

Are any of those better than Donato? I don't think they are. And even within that group I'd be adverse to dealing Petterson (give trajectory) or Parsons (given upside).
So you are left with one of the others and I don't think those have the same value as Donato.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #35
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Unless we can work a deal out with a soon to be signed Stone or Duchene type player, I'd be very against moving any of those 3. Much rather give up our first.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #36
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this trade speaks volumes about Coyle. He has all the tools to be an impactful player, but he just isn't often enough. And yes, he had the 56 point season, but only one other year of 40. For the most part, he has been an average 3rd liner.

Minny must be looking at it and thinking that they don't want to have to pay him on a UFA contract in a year. But the fact that they are prepared to move him this year, while he still has another campaign under contract, is pretty damning.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #37
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think this trade speaks volumes about Coyle. He has all the tools to be an impactful player, but he just isn't often enough. And yes, he had the 56 point season, but only one other year of 40. For the most part, he has been an average 3rd liner.

Minny must be looking at it and thinking that they don't want to have to pay him on a UFA contract in a year. But the fact that they are prepared to move him this year, while he still has another campaign under contract, is pretty damning.
I think Coyle is a solid addition for the Bruins, especially for the playoffs- Instead of it being damning, they might have just thought Donato was too good to pass up and a decent piece for their re-tool.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #38
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unless we can work a deal out with a soon to be signed Stone or Duchene type player, I'd be very against moving any of those 3. Much rather give up our first.
YES

Move picks at the deadline. Move an overpayment in pick value to seal a deal if necessary.

Look to the draft to trade a player or two no longer in your plans for pure picks in return and hope to stymie the bleeding a bit that way. Brodie, Stone, Frolik, Jankowski etc.

A second round pick next year is useless to the team in round 3 if there is an injury to the defense.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I think Coyle is a solid addition for the Bruins, especially for the playoffs- Instead of it being damning, they might have just thought Donato was too good to pass up and a decent piece for their re-tool.
sure, maybe

But of all the players on their roster, why give up Coyle who is 26 and has another year under contract? Eric Staal probably gets you at least the same return.

Deadline trades of players that are still under contract are somewhat unusual - to me, it says more than just liking Donato
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #40
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If the Flames truly are in on some of the big fish, and the first rounder is in play, I find it hard to imagine a scenario where they get the player and don't overpay.

That first rounder is likely bottom 5 maybe even bottom 2. If that is the feature piece in a deal, how do you sweeten the pot with other assets? When potentially the teams you are bidding against have higher first round picks? Add the 3rd this year? The 2nd next year?

I love me some trade deadline hype, but im scared about the price.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote