Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #21
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why blackface isn't !@#$ing acceptable, and it never was.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #22
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

And our esteemed prime minister is no better.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #23
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Was Justin at the party?
oooh, edgy.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
oooh, edgy.
Ya decided to walk it back.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #25
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
And our esteemed prime minister is no better.
It's actually a fair bit different but let's not get into it. There's really no reason to.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I know there are posters here that want to put things into neat little boxes and pretend that a player like AA is where he is because of his talent/drive/whatever alone and not because of things like this, but I hope this is another example of how ignorant and naive that position is.

Living through things like this, being targeted, abused, made a joke of, etc because of the colour of your skin, your sexuality, your gender, presents incredible hurdles that people don’t understand. It can impact your life, your job, your relationships, everything. But constantly people are told to get over it and work harder, it’s just a “joke” or you’re just being “sensitive” or whatever. But it’s bull####.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #27
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's actually a fair bit different but let's not get into it. There's really no reason to.
Blackface is blackface
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Hold me closer Tony Deynzer.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I dealt with a lot of racism in hockey. At one point I gave up and stopped playing cause it was mental torture. One of my family members knew the GM of the Flames at the time and asked if Iggy would sit down for a few minutes with me to chat about being a colored hockey player. The amazing person Iggy is he agreed to the request. I didn't know about all of this until the day I met him. We talked over a glass a milk, he told me some of the things he went through, and some of them were worse than my stories. But he used those negatives to drive him and not give up. I ended up doing the same. I definitely didn't come close to a career that he had, but I didn't give up on the game I love due to ignorance of others. I'm glad hockey is having it's reckoning.
Wonderful post.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #30
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Blackface is blackface
Context is relevant.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Blackface is blackface
Technically you are correct. But knowledge, motivation, targeting a person, etc. are pretty big differences IMO.

Someone dresses as Michael Jackson at a costume party in the 80s and does it with blackface is stupid and using a racial connotation (which is even unnecessary to pull off the costume). But I'm not going to necessarily ascribe any bad intentions. There is a racist aspect in the assumptions of the person about what makes Michael Jackson who he is.

Someone who creates a uniform of the only black player, with his nickname, plans for him to show up in front of everyone, etc, is way worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #32
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dealt with a lot of racism in hockey. At one point I gave up and stopped playing cause it was mental torture. One of my family members knew the GM of the Flames at the time and asked if Iggy would sit down for a few minutes with me to chat about being a colored hockey player. The amazing person Iggy is he agreed to the request. I didn't know about all of this until the day I met him. We talked over a glass a milk, he told me some of the things he went through, and some of them were worse than my stories. But he used those negatives to drive him and not give up. I ended up doing the same. I definitely didn't come close to a career that he had, but I didn't give up on the game I love due to ignorance of others. I'm glad hockey is having it's reckoning.
Don't want this to get lost on the bottom of the first page.

Thanks for speaking out about your experience, it shows great courage to share these stories, and doing so helps to show that these incidents are not isolated.

I do really hope that this does turn into a full reckoning for Hockey and it's culture. It's takes great courage for Aliu to share these publicly, and I hope that guys like Iggy, Simmonds, Subban and others make sure the NHL hears their stories as well. If not publicly then at least privately.

Quote:
Blackface is blackface
All blackface is bad.

Some blackface is worse, this case is clearly worse than others.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-11-2019 at 11:55 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Don't want this to get lost on the bottom of the first page.

Thanks for speaking out about your experience, it shows great courage to share these stories, and doing so helps to show that these incidents are not isolated.

I do really hope that this does turn into a full reckoning for Hockey and it's culture. It's takes great courage for Aliu to share these publicly, and I hope that guys like Iggy, Simmonds, Subban and others make sure the NHL hears their stories as well. If not publicly then at least privately.
The successful guys, like those, but also the guys who lost a promising career due at least in part to it, like Aliu.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #34
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Technically you are correct. But knowledge, motivation, targeting a person, etc. are pretty big differences IMO.

Someone dresses as Michael Jackson at a costume party in the 80s and does it with blackface is stupid and using a racial connotation (which is even unnecessary to pull off the costume). But I'm not going to necessarily ascribe any bad intentions. There is a racist aspect in the assumptions of the person about what makes Michael Jackson who he is.

Someone who creates a uniform of the only black player, with his nickname, plans for him to show up in front of everyone, etc, is way worse.

I think “When I was in high school I dressed up at a talent show and sang ‘Day O’ with makeup on,” takes the cake on this one.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #35
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really?!

Old 12-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #36
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is horrible.

In recent memory this is the most malicious use of blackface I've seen. This isn't the situation where it's just an ignorant mistake because you were dressing up as somebody famous for halloween.

This was a calculated plan to isolate a member of the team and make fun of him.

The jersey with "dreamer" on it as well is insulting and has to be demotivating as well
Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #37
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Iginla is an absolute unit of a human being, thank for sharing your story.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #38
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd agree the Bill Peters thing and Trudeau's incident are a fair bit different. But this incident and Trudeau's is a lot more similar IMO. Both guys are ignorant (or will claim they are ignorant) of what they thought was a joke totally crossing the racial line.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #39
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
The jersey with "dreamer" on it as well is insulting and has to be demotivating as well
I remember calling him Akim the Dream when he was with this Flames. Ugh this is terrible stuff.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #40
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
#### hockey culture jesus.
This has nothing to do with "hockey culture", it has to do with ignorant ass people.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post: