Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2019, 07:14 PM   #2461
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The NFL needs to grow some balls and exclude the Patriots from the playoffs.
Not likely. Between the ratings and the storylines they would be insane to just exclude the Pats.
Imagine removing defending champs Belichick and Brady for Tannehill and a possible 8-8 Titans
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #2462
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If teams haven't learned their lessons by now with PAC-12 QBs (Aaron Rodgers basically being the only recent exception), they deserve everything they get.
Yeah. Maybe Andrew Luck, Carson Palmer...

The rest suck.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #2463
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Chiefs have a similar problem on the horizon since Mahomes will probably touch $40 million a year or close, but you have way more faith Mahomes can carry less than great teams across the line because he probably would have last year if Dee Ford just lined up onside.
Mahomes can do some unreal stuff. But I have to think Tom Brady is looking at Hill, Kelce, Watkins, and Hardman and wondering what he could do with that group. They still put up 25 points a game with Matt Moore.

Trade Mahomes gor a kings ransom, invest in more weapons and rehabilitate a Tannehill type I say!

Rube and the Eagles fans can hate on Andy Reid all they like but he can develop QB's as well as anyone.

As great as Rogers or Wilson are neither has been to a Superbowl for some time now. A great QB does not get a team there on his own.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 12-10-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #2464
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
As great as Rogers or Wilson are neither has been to a Superbowl for some time now. A great QB does not get a team there on his own.
Both have been in Super Bowls more recently than Andy Reid has.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #2465
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Waiting to see where Herbert is drafted. Hes the next comparible.

Nadal Fan will remember Jake Locker.
Ahhhh yes how could I ever forget the Hurt Locker.

I still think Mariota can be an effective starter in the league, just needs to get healthy and get some confidence back.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #2466
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Both have been in Super Bowls more recently than Andy Reid has.
That's because they didn't have Andy Reid coaching their teams! Than look at how much they were making when they did get there.

That said...the Chiefs were a hot mess before Reid. He's the offensive version of Marty Schottenheimer, and I'm okay with that. I don't mind having a team that's in the playoffs every year. In some cases, he's just had some tough luck like losing the OT coin toss last year. It's not like there is an obvious better coach out there who will magically be in the Superbowl every year. That guy's nailed down in New England.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #2467
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Andy Reid is the 2nd best coach in the NFL and sure HOF coach regardless of if he wins a Super Bowl or not. Over 21 years his .614 winning percentage is incredible as he's 7th overall in the history of the NFL. Brian Billick won a Super Bowl as head coach and Eli Manning is a two time Super Bowl MVP which shows that winning at times simply comes down to a lot of randomness and right place at the right time. He's totally owned the AFC West the moment he joined the Chiefs and IMO is the best QB whisperer in the history of the NFL as I'm positive he could make Trubisky a Pro Bowl QB.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #2468
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Ahhhh yes how could I ever forget the Hurt Locker.

I still think Mariota can be an effective starter in the league, just needs to get healthy and get some confidence back.
I think you need to come to terms with the fact that Mariota is trash. His ceiling, if he can be rehabilitated, is probably Alex Smith.

Quote:
It's not like there is an obvious better coach out there who will magically be in the Superbowl every year. That guy's nailed down in New England.
Sean Payton and John Harbaugh both come to mind (though again not likely to be available), but Reid is certainly in the discussion.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #2469
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what separates Andy from most coaches is he's won with so many different QBs. He helped develop Favre, won with McNabb, Vick, Alex Smith, Mahomes, he won relying on backups in the middle of the season like AJ Feely and Jeff Garcia. He even made Kevin Kolb look good enough to fleece the Cardinals in a trade. Tying back to our discussion about paying average QBs huge money, Andy is probably the one guy you could trust to try the recycle a rookie QB approach and be successful.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #2470
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think what separates Andy from most coaches is he's won with so many different QBs. He helped develop Favre, won with McNabb, Vick, Alex Smith, Mahomes, he won relying on backups in the middle of the season like AJ Feely and Jeff Garcia. He even made Kevin Kolb look good enough to fleece the Cardinals in a trade. Tying back to our discussion about paying average QBs huge money, Andy is probably the one guy you could trust to try the recycle a rookie QB approach and be successful.
I think that ties back to the point though that you can't really win without a franchise QB. Andy squeezed the most he could out of those guys and it still wasn't enough to get him over the hump.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #2471
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hits from that 48-46 loss to the Niners just keep on coming for the Saints: less than a day after learning they had lost last year's first round pick DE Marcus Davenport (who was really starting to break out) for the season, now it appears they've also lost their best DT Sheldon Rankins for the year with a broken ankle.

Half their starting DL lost for the year minutes apart...brutal!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #2472
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think you need to come to terms with the fact that Mariota is trash. His ceiling, if he can be rehabilitated, is probably Alex Smith.
Yeah, but if you can get him to play like the Chiefs version of Alex Smith for like 2 million a year, than you have something. It's what the Titans seem to have found in Tannehill and we will see how far it goes.

Quote:
Sean Payton and John Harbaugh both come to mind (though again not likely to be available), but Reid is certainly in the discussion.
Throw in Pete Carroll and Mike Tomlin too. Sean Payton has been there once, has not been to the Superbowl in 10 seasons, why? I would say luck has a part to play there with the missed PI call, and the Case Keenum heave the year before. Same with John Harbough, he hasn't seen a AFC Title game since he made the Superbowl in 2012 and only had 2 playoff appearances since winning that game. Before that he had not made a Superbowl after inheriting a good team.

Find me an active coach not named Bill Belichick who's been to the Superbowl more than twice, and won it more than once as a Head coach. Point is that outside of New England there does not seem to be any one proven formula that get's teams to the Superbowl.

I don't see the high paid elite guys like Wilson, or Rogers getting there after they start eating up a pile of cap space. I don't see mid level high paid guys like the Stafford's of the world getting teams there. Some teams have been able to get there with a rookie or other cheaper option surrounded by a better team, than struggle to replicate the success. So I'm not sure what the best option really is.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 12-11-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #2473
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but if you can get him to play like the Chiefs version of Alex Smith for like 2 million a year, than you have something. It's what the Titans seem to have found in Tannehill and we will see how far it goes.
Then.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #2474
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Then.
Get lost.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #2475
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

LOL....knew that wouldn't go over well.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #2476
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Lamar Jackson is just....well.....wow.

Ravens are absolutely rolling on both sides of the ball right now...hard to envision anyone beating them in the AFC.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #2477
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

damn Lamar Jackson is fun to watch!

all the NFL scouts look like idiots letting this kid slip to the end of the 1st round...

unless they already had a top QB

a SF/Ravens superbowl would be fun

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 12-12-2019 at 06:54 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #2478
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Ha ha Crowder drops the ultra easy one and thsn manages to catch that.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #2479
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Buddy Ryan would cut Lamar Jackson because all he does is throw touchdown passes.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #2480
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Another guy loses his job because of words used. The word in question looks very similar to retread.

Quote:
The New York Giants waived cornerback Janoris Jenkins on Friday, two days after he made an inappropriate remark to a fan on Twitter.

On Wednesday, Jenkins called a critical fan a "######" when taking exception to questioning about why the stats Jenkins was using to showcase his effectiveness weren't contributing to victories.

Jenkins said Thursday that the usage of the word was "slang" that is "just part of my culture."

Giants coach Pat Shurmur met with Jenkins on Wednesday and said in a statement Friday that Jenkins' refusal to admit what we did was wrong led to his dismissal.

"This was an organizational decision," Shurmur said. "From ownership to management to our football operations, we felt it was in the best interests of the franchise and the player. Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sive-tweet-fan