Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #1421
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Theres a smackdown in Vancouver in February as well, 10 days before winnipeg

I've always been surprised they didnt do western Canada more lately, especially since they still do Washington state at least once a year, and Canada always does well for ufc events
Hilarious that Victoria isn't even getting a live show. I mean I don't blame them. There always seems to be some stupid incident here every time they come. Last time it was some idiot trying to hit a Roman Reigns with a MitB brief case, and I think the time before that some dude picked a fight with Jericho in the parking lot.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #1422
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it weird they didn't even advertise Winnipeg and Vancouver on RAW. Finding a presale code wasn't easy either. I finally found one on Twitter late last night. The venue and Ticketmaster didn't send their's out until after it had started.

I could have got a front row seat beside the entrance but it was about $500. After paying that much for SummerSlam and not caring for certain angles I decided to get one in the stands where I could see everything like SmackDown in Toronto.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #1423
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been enjoying the Old School Wrestling Reviews on youtube. I started off just checking out the big PPVs from when I was a kid, but started to really like the format and am going to start from the beginning. You can see most of the big spots, but cuts down on a lot of the dull content or cover it with more interesting converstion. Really well edited for a 2 hour show. It's so nice when you find a youtube channel you like with 5 years of content.

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #1424
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of an interesting last few shows for AEW. Loved the main event tonight but think Santana and Ortiz should have gotten the win. That said, Bucks vs. SCU will be a fun way to ose out the year.

The Butcher, the Blade, and the Bunny are awful and need to be dumped or repackaged immediately.

Everything to do with the Inner Circle, Moxley, and Jurassic Express has generally been pretty enjoyable and I'm looking forward to Jungle Boy vs. Jericho next week.

All of that said, come January, they need to really start pushing Omega. They've done a great job in making stars out of Mox and Cody, but Omega is their best worker and he needs to be the focal point of the product, IMO.

I almost wonder if they've been holding off on making Omega the centre of the product because they're worried about the perception of the owners booking themselves as stars. Almost a reverse Nash/Hogan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 01:15 AM   #1425
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I could watch the most beautiful man in the world Angel Garza & Lio Rush forever. Their chemistry is incredible.

Also, Mauro comparing the beat down at one point to Eminen going savage on Nick Cannon in the new Fat Joe track was such a great touch by Mauro.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #1426
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Kind of an interesting last few shows for AEW. Loved the main event tonight but think Santana and Ortiz should have gotten the win. That said, Bucks vs. SCU will be a fun way to ose out the year.

The Butcher, the Blade, and the Bunny are awful and need to be dumped or repackaged immediately.

Everything to do with the Inner Circle, Moxley, and Jurassic Express has generally been pretty enjoyable and I'm looking forward to Jungle Boy vs. Jericho next week.

All of that said, come January, they need to really start pushing Omega. They've done a great job in making stars out of Mox and Cody, but Omega is their best worker and he needs to be the focal point of the product, IMO.

I almost wonder if they've been holding off on making Omega the centre of the product because they're worried about the perception of the owners booking themselves as stars. Almost a reverse Nash/Hogan.

Yeah, Overall its been pretty decent, with some highlights, but it feels like Jericho is kind of carrying the excitement level.

I don't know why they let Allie carry on that Bunny crap from TNA, it was stupid and over the top then, and not interesting. You know, AEW should really go after Rosemary who's being wasted in TNA.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #1427
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I actually like The Butcher and The Blade. I just wish the Blade would wrestle with his gimp mask on. Then have a confrontation with the Dark Order (Evil Uno is highly underrated as a character IMO).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #1428
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, Overall its been pretty decent, with some highlights, but it feels like Jericho is kind of carrying the excitement level.

I don't know why they let Allie carry on that Bunny crap from TNA, it was stupid and over the top then, and not interesting. You know, AEW should really go after Rosemary who's being wasted in TNA.
The crowd is pretty bonkers for Moxley, which makes his segments pretty entertaining. I think he's far more over in AEW than he ever was as Ambrose. I thought MJF cut a great heel promo last night as well that the crowd was eating up. The Dark Order vignettes have been well done in sort of the classic, Attitude-era style of over the top silliness.

Pretty much everything is hitting for me right now with the exception of the BBB, the women's division, and whatever is going on in the Spears/Janela feud. That said, the women's division has been getting a bit better with Brandi's stable and the addition of Statlander and Big Swole to the division, and, if they can add a few more steady hands there like Dashwood and Blanchard, they should be in good shape.

If they can keep heating up their future main-eventers like Private Party, Page, MJF, etc., and add guys like Scurl in January and Luke Harper in March or April, I think they'll be really well set up for the next few years even if/when Jericho leaves. Jericho's contract was reportedly for 3 years, so I'm guessing 2020 might be the last time we see him as a full-time wrestler. Could see him transitioning into part-time/manager role in 2021.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #1429
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm enjoying it, I still like NXT better, the booking just hits it for me, and it just has a really raw indy wrestling aspect to it, and they seem to pull out a lot of really strong matches.

The main roster stuff just isn't holding my interest right now.

I expect that Jericho if you read his books isn't going to transition to a managers role, he's said repeatedly that the one thing that WWE always understands that the heel really shouldn't be getting a thank you speech moment with fans chanting his name. He should be fired, humiliated and tossed in a dumpster to the cheers of the crowd.

I expect that Jericho's last moment in the ring will be over the top.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #1430
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm enjoying it, I still like NXT better, the booking just hits it for me, and it just has a really raw indy wrestling aspect to it, and they seem to pull out a lot of really strong matches.
NXT is definitely the more polished of the two shows but I think that's to be expected. I don't think there's really a wrong answer between the two to be honest.

The flagship shows are just...yuck. I read the recaps and I'm pretty okay with skipping out on watching Corbin rub dog food all over Reigns. It's just so juvenile.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #1431
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I read that summery and I was like, no interest in seeing Reigns eat dog food.

There's just no reason to watch the Main Roster stuff. Even the stuff with the Fiend has become pretty poor now. I always said that the Fiend should never win the World Title, he shouldn't need it and an engine of Chaos doesn't do things like pursue the belt, he destroys the champ and throws the belt in the trash and destroys the guy who wins the tournament to become World Champ.

You know me by now, I really like the Woman's division, but its so flat now, Charlotte has faded into the background, Becky has really become flat lately, and I had high hopes for the Bayley and Sasha heel team but its not that good.

Even the AEW womans stuff that I've watched has been flat. Right now the best woman's wrestling is in NXT and they keep stacking great storylines on it.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #1432
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even the AEW womans stuff that I've watched has been flat. Right now the best woman's wrestling is in NXT and they keep stacking great storylines on it.
Yeah, with AEW it's not even just flat, it's been outright atrocious at times with some pretty terrible botches. I know you and I come down on different sides with Riho but she's hardly ever even on TV, which is unacceptable if she's supposed to be the face of the division.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #1433
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, with AEW it's not even just flat, it's been outright atrocious at times with some pretty terrible botches. I know you and I come down on different sides with Riho but she's hardly ever even on TV, which is unacceptable if she's supposed to be the face of the division.
Brandi Rhodes is the one person that is probably in too big of a role due to standing in the company at AEW.

She's just never been intriguing in the ring or on the mic to me. (Intriguing to the eyes for sure though )

I didn't watch this week but the angle with her shaving that one ladies head last week was cringe worthy.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #1434
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Brandi Rhodes is the one person that is probably in too big of a role due to standing in the company at AEW.

She's just never been intriguing in the ring or on the mic to me. (Intriguing to the eyes for sure though )

I didn't watch this week but the angle with her shaving that one ladies head last week was cringe worthy.
I've actually been enjoying that angle so far and they did a good job of advancing it this week, but it'll really depend on the payoff.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #1435
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing AEW does need to stop doing though is assuming that the audience watches BTE. I'm a big fan of all those guys and I barely ever watch it. To casual viewers or people who only watch AEW, the whole Page/Omega dynamic probably didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Or, if they are going to advance angles on BTE, they need to advertise it better by including some clips on Dynamite or something. You can't have two standalone entities but have storylines that cross-over between the two.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #1436
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t know why you guys dislike the dog food segment. There’s only so many times you can have a heel and his henchmen beat a face up and put him through a table

The dog food thing is the kind of stuff they did in the attitude era and weren’t we all clamouring for attitude era storylines?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #1437
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I don’t know why you guys dislike the dog food segment. There’s only so many times you can have a heel and his henchmen beat a face up and put him through a table

The dog food thing is the kind of stuff they did in the attitude era and weren’t we all clamouring for attitude era storylines?
Pfft in the Attitude Era they didn't just rub cans of dog food on one another.

They would kill the persons dog, cook it, and then feed it to him.

Get It?
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #1438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1205217870478594048

Old 12-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #1439
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Moondog Rek aka Randy Colley passed away at 69. They were a fixture on the independent circuit in the 80's He also held the WWE tag team titles with Moondog Spot (Died in the ring in 2003).

He later would become the original demolition Smash however he was replaced by Barry Darsow because the fans recognized him under the makeup and chanted his name.

Its kind of sad because Demolition became lost in the discussion around great tag teams, but they were amazing once they got going, and unlike the Legion of Doom they could work and sell.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:25 PM   #1440
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sorry fellas feeling nostalgic tonight