Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #61
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You can play it again now on switch. It does not hold up.
Ha I still play it regularly on the Pi. Love that game.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #62
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

But...mode 7 scaling and rotation...Nintendoes what Genesis don't?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #63
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Back in like 2002-2003, I played Jedi Knight 2 a lot online. One of the things that some people would do would be join a server and just lightsaber duel. The game had three stances - light (blue) medium (yellow) and heavy (red), so there was at least some variety and skill involved. Most of the good players leaned heavily on red but I was more reliant on yellow. Anyway I was generally not the best guy on any given server, but there was one week where I guess I must have been in a zone or playing more than usual because I just obliterated everyone, including people who I could previously never beat. It was fun when people who were expecting to win were just suddenly going "how are you suddenly this good". That's literally my only memory of feeling like I was actually good at a multiplayer video game. For the most part I suck at them. Part of why I don't FPS.
Jedi Knight 2 was a such great game for its time and had so many good memories.

I used to join low force point servers and instead of allocating the points to lightsaber offense and Defense like everyone naturally did, I put all of my points into... the force grip!

So while everyone had their lightsaber melee in the middle of the map, I would just hug the perimeter of the battle, and snap up a victim and force Grip them. since none of them allocated points towards force push/pull (which was the counter to force grip) they couldnt do anything but watch me choke the life out of them

Yeah, I could only play 10 min at a time as people usually left that server because of me
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #64
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I can't decide on just one, here is a list of all my coolest moments:

-Beating Civ IV on Monarch difficultly achieving my all time high score
-Finally beating Link's Awakening on game boy
-The time I was rated 92nd overall on NHL06 online versus
-Beating the Uncharted 2 train level for the first time
-Achieving my only ever Platinum trophy in Spider-Man
-Beating Through the Fire and Flames on the hardest Guitar Hero difficultly
-100% completion on the original Crash Bandicoot
-Attempting to get with both women in Witcher III and failing miserably
Old 12-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember the game Dark Forces 2, I mean Dark Forces 1 was such a cool game for it time and they had a great hero in Kyle Katarn. But Dark Forces 1 was a Doom clone with some really insanely hard levels.

And a couple of things really stood out, I mean at the time it was just a graphically great game, and there was one level where you had to cross the valley underneath a bridge by walking across these girders, and when I looked down I actually felt a big sick, it was amazing.

Then about half way through the game your confronted by Jerec, and he gives you a choice in terms of light and dark side, and its the first game that I remember having such a fundamental choice that so heavily effected the game. If you went Dark Side you murdered Jan Orrs and eventually ended up killing Jerec and ruling the Empire. If you went light side you saved Orrs and at the end released the Jedi trapped in the Valley of the Jedi.

It was amazing for the time.

The same thing happened in Jedi Academy, and I choose Dark Side and eventually ended up fight Katarn who had this really unique light saber fighting style. At one point in the fight I took a swing at his head. He ducked grabbed my light saber arm and started punching the crap out of me, and I was sitting here going, "He can't do that, that's not right its a light saber fight not a brawl"/

Other cool Star Wars games moments

In Tie Fighter, I eventually got to the Tie Defender and we were tasked with a mission to disable a shuttle containing Palpatine who had been kidnapped by a traitor. I launched out of the Star Destroyer and set my nav chart and my wing man hailed me and it was Darth Vader, That was a cool moment that I had Vader taking orders from me.

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

Two moments, one mission you had to fly past an imperial blockade in a Freighter. You come out of hyperspace and you use your joystick heads button to look around and there's this massive Imperial Fleet including the Executor, and you had to fly by and in your mind your doing the Han Solo line "Just fly Casual". Then you latch onto a station and somehow the Imperials figure you out the the fleet starts closing and launching fighters and you had to jump into the turret which was amazing.

But the last mission flying through the death star 2 in the Falcon, then you get to the the massive generator and shoot it and then have to make your way back out at high speed as your rear monitor shows the explosion rushing up on you. It was such a surreal moment.

Oh, here's another one. Klingon Academy. Which was a great game and featured Christopher Plummer in his role from Star Trek 6.

You get this one mission in a Bird of Prey and your cloaked and just being really cautious, when your science offers tells you that a Federation Ship is heading towards you. Then Scanners reveal that its a Constitution Class Star Ship and you think "Kirk". Its not the Enterprise though, and your massively outgunned, but we're Klingons damnit. And I took it on, and I was jumping in and out of cloak, targeting his engines. And it was this long battle. Then you're helmsman warns of another Federation ship entering the system A Miranda Class like the Reliant. So now you're in a two on one situation, you're massively outgunned and now you're sweating. But damnit we're Klingons. So I would cloak maneuver for an engine shot on either ship, decloack and fire like crazy then cloak again.

One of the coolest aspects was that you could see real damage on ships. You'd tear away armor and see damaged decks, or nacelles blowing off it was amazing. But after an hour I had destroyed the light cruiser and taken a bunch of damage and really beat up the Constitution Class Cruiser. I looked around, and my cloak failed, and the enemy locked on to me with a tractor beam and started rotating to kill me. And I was like I'm F'd. I fired a Torpedo and it tracked in and just before the enemy could him me he exploded.

I was sweating and relieved and I got back and Chang basically crapped on my for pushing a bad tactical situation, and that I was lucky I won. I'm like "But we're Klingons man"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #66
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still remember the game Dark Forces 2, I mean Dark Forces 1 was such a cool game for it time and they had a great hero in Kyle Katarn. But Dark Forces 1 was a Doom clone with some really insanely hard levels.

And a couple of things really stood out, I mean at the time it was just a graphically great game, and there was one level where you had to cross the valley underneath a bridge by walking across these girders, and when I looked down I actually felt a big sick, it was amazing.

Then about half way through the game your confronted by Jerec, and he gives you a choice in terms of light and dark side, and its the first game that I remember having such a fundamental choice that so heavily effected the game. If you went Dark Side you murdered Jan Orrs and eventually ended up killing Jerec and ruling the Empire. If you went light side you saved Orrs and at the end released the Jedi trapped in the Valley of the Jedi.
You didn't mention the best part of that choice, in that it wasn't actually a choice. The game takes tally of all your actions in your playthrough (what force powers you use most, do you kill innocent people, etc) and then at that moment forces you to either go full light side, or turn dark and murder your best friend with no warning. I was left mouth agape on my first playthrough of Jedi Knight when I murdered Jan, I had no real intention of going for the dark side ending but because I had so much fun using force grip and lightning that's where I ended up. I had to play it through again immediately after finishing it to get the "real" ending

It was one of the first games that had multiple endings depending on the choices you made, but no other game has matched it with how natural it felt. Every other game usually has their good or bad choices highlighted in text, and how you actually play doesn't matter. JK just left you alone with all of these cool powers and no penalty for killing innocent people, and you had no idea how dark you were turning until it was too late
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #67
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I didn't state that well, the problem is that it was so much fun going through that game in jerk mode, killing civilians loading up on the dark force powers because they were better offensively.

I remember going Dark and killing off Orrs, and I felt about 3 seconds of regret.

That level were you had to get to your ship before the ship crashed was amazing level construction.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #68
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when playing Pong about 40 years ago I managed to keep the ball in play for 15 minutes!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #69
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
A couple mentions already, but the ride to Mexico in Red Dead Redemption is what jumps into my mind too. An incredible change of pace built by the action and storytelling before it, and the music just nailed moment as well.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Still think that some of the most fun things happen in multi player games like the Battlefront series.

I always would jump in fighters and take off to defend the air. I loved Battlefield Vietnam. I remember jumping into a F-4, and I'm bombing the crap out of this village. I don't even know if anyone was there, but I was plastering it and machine gunning it. And this guy jumps me in a mig. He's all over me, so eject out of the plane and he goes whipping by and he's turning to shoot me in the face while I slowly point to the ground breaking the Geneva Conventions. So I pull out my handy rocket launcher, and lock on, and he turns into me just as I let him have it.

Then I landed right in front of an enemy tank and he let me have it with the main gun.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #71
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

KotOR reveal... That was a good one.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #72
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

winning a 60+ man mvc3 tournament and getting a sweet chun-li arcade stick (stick was later stolen, which sucks, but it was pretty cool while i had it)
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #73
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Days and days and days of proximity mine and golden gun on GoldenEye for N64. We'd slip so much school, rent one from the Blockbuster and sit in my basement
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post: