Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #1201
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Hi five

Last edited by Thor; 09-30-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #1202
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ Cool vid Thor, but hasn't this been possible for a little while now? Pretty sure I saw something similar before. Not coming down on a repost cause I know that's not the case, just trying to reorganize my own experiences. Thought for sure I'd seen a news broadcast on a similar story a few years back.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #1203
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

It has been yeah. But its still just as powerful as it was the first time, plus we're better at it now than 3 years ago.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #1204
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Rarely do I bring religion into these threads, but for once can I say, Science just SLAPPED your god in the face and let this girl hear. No miracle, just hard damn work.

Sorry, I had to, that was so emotional.
I'm sorry I had to comment

I'm not sure why science helping this girl hear would be an afront to god, if he or she or it did exist. God may actually be really happy for the girl and the people who helped her hear.

It would probably be argued, within the realm of spirituality, that God doesn't owe her anything, and how she or others improves her (or their) live(s) is up to them. That whole freedom of choice thing. We can create good or we can create evil. But God would have nothing to do with her not being able to hear, or getting her hearing back, just with how she (and those around her) deal with the challenges of their life.

Now I know you get rattled because a very strict religious population often ties up scientific progress, and learning. They look at many things as science vs. god (or traditional values) and recently the atheist and scientific community have begun to push back against these endeavors and have become self-righteous in their own right. But if we can strip away the battle and look at it from a moderate view I think we can agree it would be something most people would find very exciting, uplifting, and inspiring. It really has nothing to do with religion vs. science except for very extreme views on both sides.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #1205
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Woman born deaf hears her own voice for the first time.

She speaks very well considering she was deaf for 29 years. She must had great therapists. Pretty cool that they can do this now. One thing that I find hard to understand is how someone who has never heard sound can understand the sensation immediately. How do they know what words are supposed to sound like? I'm not doubting this, I just don't understand.

And please don't ruin a good story by bringing religion into it. It really does wreck the moment. I'm sure there are only a very small number of spiritual people who believe that people should stay handicapped because it is god's will or what have you.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #1206
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Agreed, my bad.

NSFW!

Last edited by photon; 10-01-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: nsfw
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #1207
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the creepier things I've heard in my lifetime. Link: www.care2.com/causes/zombie-virus-drives-caterpillars-to-an-explosive-death.html

Quote:
Scientists recently discovered something that was causing European gypsy moth caterpillars to behave very strangely. The caterpillars were infected by a deadly baculovirus, and with their last bits of strength, they did something that would be out of the question if they were healthy: they climbed out onto the very highest leaves of their tree in the middle of the day.

There, their diseased bodies split open, raining infected caterpillar guts onto the leaves and branches below. The death ritual is so bizarre, that scientists started using the term ”tree top disease” to describe the virus that caused it.

[...] researchers reveal the cause of this odd final act: a specific viral gene that drives infected caterpillars to die in a way that offers the best potential for spreading the virus that killed it…just like a zombie.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #1208
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
One of the creepier things I've heard in my lifetime. Link: www.care2.com/causes/zombie-virus-drives-caterpillars-to-an-explosive-death.html
Haha, not to be a jerk, but I've heard of this one too. Learned it in a Biology class years ago. It is pretty creepy though. Yeah, I don't know if it was this specific species, but pretty much the same story. The virus invaded the host and actually changed it's behavior or took it's brain over to help it's own reproduction. Of course, the term 'brain' is a bit of a misnomer as we are talking about insects, but it's creepy enough. I guess it would be easier to bypass a brain/nervous system of a simple organism over a more complex one.

Last edited by Daradon; 10-01-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #1209
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The New Science Centre opens October 29th, and sounds amazing:

http://www.imagineaction.ca/blog/201...cience-centre/

If you’ve been wondering what sort of experiences you’ll find in the New Science Centre, you’re not alone!

Here’s just a peek at the culmination of five years of planning, design and construction to bring Canada’s first purpose-built Science Centre in over 25 years to our community.

Being Human will encourage you to explore what it means to be human through investigating the most fascinating people on earth—your friends, your family and yourself.

Earth & Sky takes you on a journey, reminding you of how good you are at noticing things along the way. Investigate Alberta’s unique geology, the power of water that has sculpted its landscape, distinct wind and weather systems, and the influence these systems have on our daily lives.

Open Studio allows young adults – and the young at heart – to stretch their creative muscles, explore new ways of thinking, and try their hand at unexpected activities.

Energy & Innovation explores the power of energy transformation, and pushes you to probe one of the most complicated challenges facing our modern society – how will the energy system that we all depend upon evolve?

The Creative Kids Museum is a celebration of the joy and growth that comes from creative play, art and exploration.

http://www.imagineaction.ca/experience.html

Last edited by troutman; 10-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #1210
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Awesome...I can't wait for the new Science Centre. We practically lived at the old one for the first four years of my kids' lives. Will definitely get a season pass for the new one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #1211
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

An interesting video of a comet striking the sun pulled from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2191845/
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #1212
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
An interesting video of a comet striking the sun pulled from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2191845/
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #1213
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Hey now, none of this common sense crap. Obviously, another US government coverup through NASA. Firing missles into the Sun to try to destabilize it? The convenient "occulting mask" BS? Causing 2012 through human interaction? You bet! Wake up, sheeple!!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #1214
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculed, kicked out of a lab, but walks off with this years Nobel Prize for chemistry. A lesson to science in tolerating views that go against established beliefs.

Quote:
The Nobel prize for chemistry has gone to a single researcher for his discovery of the structure of quasicrystals. The new structural form was previously thought to be impossible and provoked controversy.
Quote:
Dr Shechtman had to fight a fierce battle against established science to convince others of what he had first seen in his lab at the National Institute of Standards and Technology in Washington - formerly called the National Bureau of Standards - on an April morning in 1982.
Quote:
The Israeli researcher was later told that he was a disgrace to the group and asked to leave.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15181187

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #1215
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Hey now, none of this common sense crap. Obviously, another US government coverup through NASA. Firing missles into the Sun to try to destabilize it? The convenient "occulting mask" BS? Causing 2012 through human interaction? You bet! Wake up, sheeple!!
I'm not really sure what to make of this comment, or where the sarcasm is directed...

Anyway, I saw Phil Plait's post about this the other day on twitter and thought it was a good contrast from an actual astronomer of the Globe's comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail
NASA filmed a video of a comet crashing into the sun on Oct. 1, and the flare that blows out from the other side suggests the comet did have an effect on the sun.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #1216
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

His sarcasm is not directed at you. We are all on the same team here. I doubt that whoever wrote that for the Globe is even an actual astronomer.

We all know, correlation does not imply causation! And by "we" I mean the people in this thread. Globe and Mail doesn't seem to understand that.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #1217
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's what I figured, but the rolly eyes at the end threw off my sarcasm detector.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #1218
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...I don't think it's directed at you...maybe he's leading us all on. Maybe he's serious. Maybe he's the next mikey.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #1219
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

God no, it was more a general sarcastic statement because other places that reported this were getting into moon landing debates in the comments sections. Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have quoted your post.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #1220
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Successful malaria vaccine created;

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79H59220111018

Quote:
(Reuters) - For Joe Cohen, a GlaxoSmithKline research scientist who has spent 24 years trying to create the world's first malaria vaccine, Tuesday, October 18, 2011 goes down as a fabulous day.
It's not a complete cure by any stretch but with this is awesome news regardless.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasa For This Useful Post:

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science