Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #21
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I bought a few suits from RW & CO. They are not super expensive but get the job done. It all works out if the suit fits right and the brand doesn't matter too much imo.

I hate wearing ties so normally never do it. I would be curious how many people on here who hire care if a candidate is wearing a tie or not? Am I doing something wrong by wearing a suit with no tie?
I hire and could care less if the candidate is wearing a tie. Just impress me. I know you're not going to suit up with a tie if you get hired.

However I do know some people in hiring do care, so I would suggest you always wear the tie to be safe.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #22
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you search on CP you’ll find plenty of advice on how to find/buy the higher end, premium stuff. If you’re looking for the other end of the scale, here is my advice:

- suit separates to get a more customized fit (I’m generally okay with off the rack stuff but it obviously depends on the person; if that’s not an option then a few alterations are worthwhile). I actually buy a lot of my stuff from JC Penney in Montana (Stafford brand, order from jcp.com and pick up in store) — they have wool blend pants that are machine washable so you save on future dry cleaning costs as well. Buy two pairs of pants for each jacket as it’ll be the pants that wear out first.

- day to day wear can consist of dress pants and a dress shirt; keep an extra tie and sport coat in your office in case you get called into an unexpected meeting

- black is too formal and will end up sitting unworn in your closet. Stick with navy and charcoal suits and white/light blue/light grey shirts as everything will match everything

- I’m assuming you’re a little older (ie at least 10 year’s post bar) so as long as you’re presentable, having a premium suit shouldn’t matter. Just don’t look sloppy.

- lastly, wear a freaking tie on the interview. You’re a lawyer, not a court runner

Good luck!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #23
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indochino has two custom suits for $800 right now.
The quality isn't spectacular, but they do a good job getting you into a suit that's well fitted.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:57 PM   #24
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asking for attire advice without naming your budget leaving too wide of a gap. I remember a senior guy telling me when I started my first engineering job: "A guy needs a different underwear, socks and attire for each day of the week to look sharp". This means, either 5 suits or blazer/pants combos (the latter being more practical), five nice shirts, five pairs of quality shoes. Tie - depends on the office culture; they are less popular/important nowadays. All of the above goes on a 50% off sale at least a couple of times a year in most good stores - Harry Rosen, O'Connor, Forman's, Holt. Decent suits (nothing extravagant, but decent) go for $1,200-1,500. You can get them for $500-$600 on sale ($2,500-$3,000). Allan Edmonds shoes - $300/pair ($1,500). Dress shirts - $80 ($400). 2-3 nice vests are useful and add a nice touch. So, you can get yourself dressed nicely on a $5,000 budget. Plus, some nice casual wear for Fridays, of course.

You can get dressed at The Bay or Moore's for less, but it would look like Bay or Moore's clothes.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Regarding suits, the black isn’t for work thing really only applies for jet black suits, which are rare. Most suits have some sort of pattern that makes them appear lighter.

When it comes to pants and shirts, I think general fit is the biggest factor. Once you find a fit you like for a price you like, you may need the odd hem here and there but that way you can buy 3-4 or more different ones and know your whole wardrobe fits right.

Men’s fashion varies wildly in price, obviously. You can buy $30 shirts at Moore’s or the Bay, $70 shirts from indochino or buy $100-500 shirts from brooks brothers. But the cost won’t matter if it’s way too big, too tight etc.

For example, banana republic used to make some good quality stuff, I loved the fit and they had great sales. But a while ago they changed the cut of their pants and shirts and now I hate their clothes. Now I wear indochino shirts because I can customize the fit. Quality is ok but not amazing. Depends on the fabric sometimes.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-05-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I had heard that black is out? Any thoughts on that?
If you’re going to buy a suit to wear often, don’t get black IMO. Shades of blue and grey are way more versatile, and don’t look like you came from a funeral or you’re being forced to wear a suit.

I really do like Banana Republics shirts. They’re nice, fit me well, and are very comfortable...everything I want in a shirt for way less $ than some people spend.

Don’t forget some decent shoes. “Dress shoes” aren’t the same as a nice pair of dress shoes.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #27
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you wear a suit to work, a grey and a navy. White shirts. Don't get black if you wear suits often and only have 2 or so suits. A grey and a navy is much more versatile. Preferably not black for business attire.

Last edited by silentsim; 08-04-2018 at 07:23 PM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #28
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plain black is the high school special. You'll look like schmuck Moores shopper. Pair that with a shiny solid color balloon dress shirt from Le Chateau....

Get a nice blue suit, some solid white and other color shirts and you're set for basics.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #29
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

I have found the Bay to have the potential to be a good value...often they have decent sales and staff that know how to fit a suit well enough.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #30
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some good advice in this thread...but I'm not sure all of it is coming from people in in-house counsel roles.

It will depend on the company of course, but from what I've seen - in house counsel always has a suit jacket, pants, and a dress shirt on. Ties for external and executive meetings.

Bottom line - if you're interacting with others that are in a full suit (ie executives, external counsel) you need to look that part of providing professional advice. In house counsel is typically interacting with the senior Executive, and not buried in a cubicle with the accountants or engineers.

I'm not sure what your fashion sense is but if it's not great I highly recommend heading to a place like O'Connors or Supreme's for a consultant to help you. They'll know what's on trend, and most importantly what looks good in 2018. Tailoring makes or breaks a suit IMHO and they'll know where to do to make this look good.

One or two suits from here to start is a good plan, and the consultant can help you maximize these with some sport coats and different shirts. O'Connors / Supremes also have made made to measure events where a bespoke Samuelsohn suit can be had for $850.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 08:47 AM   #31
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d go to Brooks Brothers at the outlet mall.
- Get 2 dark grey suits and one blue. Subtle accents (stripes or squares)
-white and blue shirts (six if you’re wearing every day)
- one pair of black and one pair of brown shoes
- two belts to match
- a couple ties for important meetings, as I doubt you will wear a tie every day
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #32
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flood pants and fancy socks, mister. Let's see them ankles.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #33
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are going with two suits, navy and dark grey are by far the most flexible and are appropriate in any settings.

If you have the budget, add 2 pairs of dress slacks. Black and a lighter color.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #34
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to admit that my suits, slacks and long sleeve button up shirts now rarely see the light of day as My office has a dress code of “ dress for your day”.

Most of the time I wear jeans, but sometimes I will mix it up and go with khaki’s.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #35
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am of the old school mentality when it comes to business attire and that you generally can't be overdressed for business. You can spot the lawyers and the bankers downtown, they are generally in suits. I am a young guy, 33 but I take my business attire seriously because despite what some people may think, looks do matter. Some tips to reduce your overall long term cost of your business attire and to change up your look as much as possible.

1) Buy quality made suits that are tailored. If your going to wear them everyday, the cheap stuff from some of the previously mentioned places just don't hold up. They are generally glued together and mass produced and after a while, they fall apart. I get my suits from a bespoke tailor "The Tailor Shop by Giovanni" Probably run $1000+ a suit but they are worth it and can easily last 6+ years.

2) Get a 3 piece suit! The 3 piece look can be your "closing" deal or strict business suit as it screams executive boss plus you have the added bonus of only wear a vest and pants when it's warm out or in the office. You still look the part without the jacket. This look also allows you to extend the life of the jacket, especially near the elbows where a lot of jackets wear out.

3) Get an extra pair of pants made or purchase an extra set. The pants will go quicker than the jacket generally does and this will extend the look of the suit as opposed to needing to match pants and jacket later. Once both pairs of pants are gone, than you can turn the jacket into a blazer look like jeans for a casual Friday etc.

4) You can generally get away with lower priced shirts and ties from places like The Bay, Winners etc. Costco has some very nice, high quality shirts that are fitted for about $25 a shirt.

5) Buy some proper lace up shoes with leather soles, the leather soles being key as you can resole them once they wear out and extend the life of the shoe. Unfortunately in Canada some of the good quality shoes that are leather and made with leather soles are getting harder and harder to find, even the expensive name brands are turning into rubber soles which is a pain.

Don't discount the quality business suit look, its a versatile look for work, weddings, corporate events, date night with a companion, funerals and more.

Good luck with everything!!

Last edited by curves2000; 08-07-2018 at 11:33 AM.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I got two suits at Brooks Bros outlet mall - the price was good, but the quality was not. It is not the same line of suits you can get at the downtown store.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #37
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
1) Buy quality made suits that are tailored. If your going to wear them everyday, the cheap stuff from some of the previously mentioned places just don't hold up. They are generally glued together and mass produced and after a while, they fall apart. I get my suits from a bespoke tailor "The Tailor Shop by Giovanni" Probably run $1000+ a suit but they are worth it and can easily last 6+ years.
The suit may last 6+ years, but it is highly likely that I won't be able to fit in it in 6+ years.

To the OP, I'm an in-house attorney and for the last year or so I've been wearing jeans and polo. The head office requires its attorneys to wear a tie and all that goes with it, but out in the regional offices, jeans and a collared shirt are the standard. I will never again work in an environment that required a tie.

The whole "dress for success" idea is probably true, but likely because of our own biases and prejudices. Break the mold, I say, and show people that you are hired for your mind, and not for your looks.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I got two suits at Brooks Bros outlet mall - the price was good, but the quality was not. It is not the same line of suits you can get at the downtown store.
This is correct. Most of the outlet stuff is made specifically for the outlet. If you're going shopping at those places, I think the Saks outlet in Cross Iron Mills is generally pretty decent relative to others. Obviously you're not getting canvassed suits there but for daily wear it's generally fine, I get a lot of my shirts there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM   #39
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What body type are you? Some brands fit better than others, depending on brand. Also, consider checking out CrossIron.

I'm 6'1" and somewhat lean, and I can take a 40R Hugo Boss suit off the rack with no altering. I'm not sure what kind of sales they have now, but I've gotten 4 suits from there over the past few years at 40-50% off.

As for shirts, same reasoning applies. Some fit better than others, depending on your body type. Banana Republic, J Crew and Club Monaco all fit well for me.

Shoes? Go to Browns anywhere, and get comfortable pair that look good. Don't go to Aldo/Spirit (my opinion), as the shoes fall apart quicker, and also aren't comfortable.

I've also heard phenomenal things about Indochino, in Chinook. Reasonably priced custom suits with custom materials.

Last edited by manwiches; 08-07-2018 at 01:30 PM.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #40
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

A lot of people are advising slightly upmarket or bespoke suits. I have absolutely no problems with suits from Zara, H&M, etc. that I wear everyday and barely touch my tailor-made cashmere suits, etc. which collect dust in the closet. The most important thing is fit and you can't beat the prices. I've gotten entire suits for $50-$150 and they are tailored to look modern and fashionable. Perhaps it works better if you are a bit younger.

Also, don't worry so much about a matching suit, in summer you can wear a darker sport jacket with a lighter colored pair of pants. In the winter, you can wear a thicker/wool type jacket, again with non-matching pants as long as the colors are complimentary.

The most important pieces are probably your shoes/belt. I find a lighter brown works well for business. A nice dress watch with complimentary band color is a plus. Black shoes, black belt, black suit, etc. are too old-fashioned and should mostly be worn at formal occasions. As you are in-house counsel and not sales, perhaps a little more conservative than flashy will work better.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-07-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote