Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #3401
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Gifting him top six minutes he hasn't earned seems like a terrible idea.
While I don't disagree with you ... I would suggest that Lazar, Jagr, and this season's version of Ferland have been 'gifted' top line minutes.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #3402
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Yes, god forbid he might actually take some time to develop. His draft position and instant success of some other high picks like Monahan (although people are pretty quick to chuck him under the bus the second he hits a rough patch) and Thachuk is really working against them. It's taken Jankowski 5 years since being drafted to even warrant a sniff on this team. Agreed expectations on Bennett's development should be higher than that, but there's a massive in between the Janko route and the Mony route we should all be comfortable accepting.
Bennett is entering his third full season. Asking him to come in and produce now is not asking for instant production. He's regressed statistically each year and it's looking like so far he will again. I understand the desire to be patient with him but when he's showing no signs of improvement that gets harder and harder to do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #3403
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Gifting him top six minutes he hasn't earned seems like a terrible idea.
GG was a terrible idea.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #3404
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’d rather trade the entire CP Bennett lynch mob for a bag of pucks. I’m pretty sure there’d be less to regret in the future.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #3405
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bennett's comically snakebitten right now. It's obvious his confidence is shot, and even then he should have a few points by now. He's still played a part in a handful of goals that likely don't go in without him, even if he didn't touch the puck.

Some examples:
Brodie's 2nd against Winnipeg likely doesn't go in if Bennett's not at the net.
Gaudreau's beauty against Winnipeg doesn't happen without Bennett starting that forecheck and drawing Trouba away from Gaudreau.
Hamilton's goal vs Vancouver doesn't happen without Bennett forcing a turnover from Stecher (or possibly without his screen).

And very recently:
A great save by Rinne takes away what was shaping up to be our best goal of the year.

Mark Jankowski currently has the best possession stats on our team (59% CF%, 75% xGF%), and he's done it with Bennett on his wing. For all the complaining about our lack of depth scoring, you'd think we'd consider keeping a 3rd line that has actually looked good against two very good teams in Nashville and St. Louis.

Fun fact: Bennett and Tkachuk have practically identical xGF/60 rates (2.35 vs 2.34). In other words, we're generating dangerous shots at identical rates with Bennett on the ice compared to Tkachuk on the ice. However, Tkachuk's line has had 7 go in, compared to only 2 for Bennett.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #3406
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
No it doesn't. Sidney Crosby has more than zero points. Connor McDavid has more than zero points. Pathetic is the right word to use for a guy like Bennett. Even Curtis Lazar and freakin' Troy Brouwer have points. Bennett is too skilled a guy to have zero points through 10 games.
Except it does. Even Crosby, the best player in the world, has had a terrible streak of games or two (I think he started 15/16 by getting points in only 1 of his first 9 or 10 games). The fact is, it does happen to everyone, even players way better than Bennett, and especially players that are at the same level as Bennett.

I mean, since you brought him up, Brouwer had two 10-game pointless streaks just last season. Bad streaks happen to everyone. It just happens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #3407
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Except it does. Even Crosby, the best player in the world, has had a terrible streak of games or two (I think he started 15/16 by getting points in only 1 of his first 9 or 10 games).
Yabbut, you know, Crosby has more points than that this season, and that's the only sample that can possibly matter. The fact that the best player in the league had long scoring droughts before is irrelevant. The fact that Bennett is in a long scoring drought right now is the only thing that matters, because the last 10 games are a perfectly fair and representative sample from which you can unerringly predict the entire course of his career. Clearly Bennett will never get a point again.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #3408
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So GG has messed up by either giving Bennett too much or too little ice time. Got it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #3409
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Except it does. Even Crosby, the best player in the world, has had a terrible streak of games or two (I think he started 15/16 by getting points in only 1 of his first 9 or 10 games). The fact is, it does happen to everyone, even players way better than Bennett, and especially players that are at the same level as Bennett.

I mean, since you brought him up, Brouwer had two 10-game pointless streaks just last season. Bad streaks happen to everyone. It just happens.
That's a fair, lots of players do go through scoring droughts, but players like Crosby are still effective without putting up points. My frustration with Bennett was not necessarily just the lack of points (although that was a big part of it) but the fact that he wasn't really contributing anything at all. He was just.... there. I should have been more clear about that in my last post instead of just harping on the lack of points, so I'll apologize for that.

He's looked much better on the wing the past two games. He's creating chances. I hope he keeps it up, he has all the tools. It's just a matter of putting it all together now.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #3410
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

0 points is terrible - there's no way to spin that yarn any other way

Bottom line: Bennett is way more bust than he is player waiting to break out at this point.

Should be actively trying to a way to salvage value from him through trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #3411
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Trading Bennett would be another Marc Savard fiasco which we can't afford. Move him to the top line, if he can't score with Johnny then he can't score. A lot of the optimism for this team taking it to the next level was riding on Bennett's progression.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJFlash For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 01:54 AM   #3412
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would be more worried if he was invisible and looked lost. He hasnt been bad points will come soon
Old 10-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #3413
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post

Bottom line: Bennett is way more bust than he is player waiting to break out at this point.

Bit of an overreaction. He's worth more with the Flames than being traded for "salvage value".
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 04:53 AM   #3414
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post

Some of you guys make great Armchair GMs, stick to video game.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #3415
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can't wait until we look back on these discussions and thank our lucky stars we didn't trade him away for nothing to early. Much like Backlund.
He's not hurting the team. Patience young grass hoppas!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #3416
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rather Bennett bust out and be worthless than trade him for a 2nd and some plug and have him thrive elsewhere. It is still far too early to give up on him. I do think the move to wing should be made on a permanent basis and I think he will start putting up points.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #3417
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I rather Bennett bust out and be worthless than trade him for a 2nd and some plug and have him thrive elsewhere. It is still far too early to give up on him. I do think the move to wing should be made on a permanent basis and I think he will start putting up points.
agreed. I was disappointed in Bennetts first 8 games of the season, but the move to the wing the past 2 games and he does look better. that game against the preds, we finally saw glimpses of actual skill play, something i haven't seen from him in over a year. That being said, it's only been 2 games since the change. Let's revisit this at the 20 game mark. I just feel that after a learning out process between him and Jankowski, they could end up providing some points.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #3418
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody wants to trade him for a second...all I am saying is that he's not untouchable...and his play this far has been very poor. The whole team can't play with JG. Depth should be our advantage yet the 3rd line has been a weakness sadly...should be a strength considering who they match up against.

Last edited by dino7c; 10-27-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #3419
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
agreed. I was disappointed in Bennetts first 8 games of the season, but the move to the wing the past 2 games and he does look better. that game against the preds, we finally saw glimpses of actual skill play, something i haven't seen from him in over a year. That being said, it's only been 2 games since the change. Let's revisit this at the 20 game mark. I just feel that after a learning out process between him and Jankowski, they could end up providing some points.
Definitely agree with this take. One of the Flames biggest issues is getting scoring 5 on 5 from the bottom 2 lines. Versteeg has 2 goals and I believe both are on the power play. All other goals are from the top 6 or blueline.

If the Flames are going to be a top team they need offense from the third line. I am confident after several games together Jankowski and Bennett can provide that scoring.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM   #3420
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody wants to trade him for a second...all I am saying is that he's not untouchable...and his play this far has been very poor. The whole team can't play with JG, depth should be our advantage.
People are talking about salvaging value via a trade I do t believe the expected return is a first rounder or stud forward.

Bennett is not going to get the team Duchene without adding significantly more. I wouldn’t be against moving him if he still carried the value of a 21 year old 4th overall pick. Read the “value of Sam Bennett” thread on Hf and you will see countless lowball offers. I know that means nothing in the grand scheme of things but ultimately reading him nownis selling low. Some people think trade him now before he is worthless where I am of the opinion a move to the wing and keeping him here is the better move
Closed Thread