Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #3381
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised how quickly we've all soured on Bennett. Agreed at some point you'll need to make a choice, and you don't want to make that too late and have no value left to salvage, but I think we should be willing to see how things work out with him, especially if part of the decision is to decide whether to continue to try and force him up the middle versus let him develop on the wing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #3382
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveLamp View Post
Galchenyuk for Bennett?
Hell no don’t need that drunk on our team. Constant off icenissues with Galchenyuk over the past couple years. Rather play Bennett all year on the wing than tradehin for another winger that couldn’t play center

Bennett just roasted on HF these days.

Not worth a 2nd. Virtanen is the better pick.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #3383
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Hell no don’t need that drunk on our team. Constant off icenissues with Galchenyuk over the past couple years.
Link to some?
Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 PM   #3385
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What happened in the first one
Old 10-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #3386
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
What happened in the first one
He and his girlfriend got into a drunken domestic issue. Are you asking for links and explanations as a passive aggressive way of saying you don’t believe Galchenyuk May have off ice issues?
Old 10-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #3387
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I'm surprised how quickly we've all soured on Bennett. Agreed at some point you'll need to make a choice, and you don't want to make that too late and have no value left to salvage, but I think we should be willing to see how things work out with him, especially if part of the decision is to decide whether to continue to try and force him up the middle versus let him develop on the wing.
10 games and zero points...its pathetic
Old 10-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #3388
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Hockey is all about the points. Because of video games, and pools.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #3389
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Hockey is all about the points. Because of video games, and pools.
Hockey is all about points because the team that scores more goals wins

What other things are Bennett bringing to the table right now?

Bad penalties? lol
Great defensive play?

Guys get paid on their point totals...I guess NHL GMs play too many video games and pools.

I can promise you nobody in the organization is happy with Sam

ZERO POINTS!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #3390
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The toxic negativity is why I can be bothered to read much of this forum anymore. Game threads where Calgary is losing? Some people need to get a grip -- this is a kids game.

Pretty much only worth reading for rumor summaries around draft and trade deadlines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #3391
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's way to late in his career for him to turn it around. I imagine by mid season his old legs will have him slowed right down. Holding on to a player of his age is bad business, no one wants a potential retiring asset.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #3392
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Happens to the best of them. Pathetic is pretty strong, but you’re right, you’ve got to feel sorry for him.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #3393
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
The toxic negativity is why I can be bothered to read much of this forum anymore. Game threads where Calgary is losing? Some people need to get a grip -- this is a kids game.

Pretty much only worth reading for rumor summaries around draft and trade deadlines.
I am overall pretty positive about the team so I don't know why you are quoting me on this. Zero points in 10 games is pathetic. Guy was a 4th overall draft pick it's time to step up. I don't get the surprise about the negativity by some. League is a young man's game, his age is no excuse...players from his draft year are excelling.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #3394
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Blame GG for ruining Sam's confidence.He should have been stapled to the first or second line lastyear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybb79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #3395
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Happens to the best of them. Pathetic is pretty strong, but you’re right, you’ve got to feel sorry for him.
No it doesn't. Sidney Crosby has more than zero points. Connor McDavid has more than zero points. Pathetic is the right word to use for a guy like Bennett. Even Curtis Lazar and freakin' Troy Brouwer have points. Bennett is too skilled a guy to have zero points through 10 games.

I am, however, willing to give him a bit of slack and a fresh start on the wing. He clearly isn't going to be an impact player at centre, and I'm hopeful he finds his game on the wing. He's looked much better the last two games there. Hopefully once he gets the first one the flood gates open. If Bennett can score 35-40 points the last 70 games (which I don't think is too crazy an expectation) he'll be
laughing.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #3396
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

With Sam Bennett at the present time points are not equating to skill and effort. If he couldn't skate or handle, there'd be an absolute reason for concern. Watching him play you can see consistent effort and aggression and skating and puck handling are strengths. The results will begin to show, particularly if he stays paired with Jankowski as he begins to acclimate. Selling on Sam Bennett at this point will likely result in remorse in the near future. Guy's with his skill and desire to engage physically are not common commodities.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #3397
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

One thing Sam Bennett truly excels at is falling down out of nowhere multiple times a game. If only they handed out points for that. He's be an Art Ross candidate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #3398
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Blame GG for ruining Sam's confidence.He should have been stapled to the first or second line lastyear.
Gifting him top six minutes he hasn't earned seems like a terrible idea.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #3399
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, god forbid he might actually take some time to develop. His draft position and instant success of some other high picks like Monahan (although people are pretty quick to chuck him under the bus the second he hits a rough patch) and Thachuk is really working against them. It's taken Jankowski 5 years since being drafted to even warrant a sniff on this team. Agreed expectations on Bennett's development should be higher than that, but there's a massive in between the Janko route and the Mony route we should all be comfortable accepting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #3400
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, god forbid he might actually take some time to develop. His draft position and instant success of some other high picks like Monahan (although people are pretty quick to chuck him under the bus the second he hits a rough patch) and Thachuk is really working against them. It's taken Jankowski 5 years since being drafted to even warrant a sniff on this team. Agreed expectations on Bennett's development should be higher than that, but there's a massive in between the Janko route and the Mony route we should all be comfortable accepting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread