Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #461
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft grades for all 31 teams", in the Athletic (paywall) gives the

Calgary Flames a C+...Colorado A...Dallas C...Edmonton B...Los Angeles A...Minnesota

B...Nashville B...San Jose C...St. Louis C-...Vancouver B+...Vegas B...Winnipeg C...Anaheim B+...Arizona B-...Chicago B...

https://theathletic.com/1041814/2019...-all-31-teams/

Last edited by Brick; 06-22-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #462
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
"Pronman: 2019 NHL Draft grades for all 31 teams", in the Athletic (paywall) gives the

Calgary Flames a C+...
Pron feuking blow!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #463
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary Flames a C+...Colorado A...Dallas C...Edmonton B...Los Angeles A...Minnesota

B...Nashville B...San Jose C...St. Louis C-...Vancouver B+...Vegas B...Winnipeg C...Anaheim B+...Arizona B-...Chicago B...

I think a large part of that is the fact that we only had 5 picks. I believe multiple teams had at least 10. Easy to put up a better draft class grade with double the amount of picks.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:51 PM   #464
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not surprising, he had Pelletier ranked much lower than most. Don’t know why everyone cares for his rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 11:09 PM   #465
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wrap my head around thinking that the Oilers had a better draft. Seemed to pick higher risk players with a pick # very close to their avg ranked #.

Meanwhile most of the Flames picks we're taken later than their avg ranking, and/or we're ranked much higher at some point this past year.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #466
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I can't wrap my head around thinking that the Oilers had a better draft. Seemed to pick higher risk players with a pick # very close to their avg ranked #.

Meanwhile most of the Flames picks we're taken later than their avg ranking, and/or we're ranked much higher at some point this past year.
Not everyone thinks that they did...

Wheeler: Ranking the 2019 NHL Draft’s first-round winners and losers into tiers (Another Athletic article...paywall...) https://theathletic.com/1040939/2019...rs-into-tiers/
This analysis is broken down into four tiers:

Winners: Teams I believe won out of their competition with sleuth, home-run-level selections given where they selected.
Overtime winners: Teams I believe did well with where they were slotted, even if they might not have picked the exact player(s) I would have.
Overtime losers: Teams I believe could have done better but might, in time, be happy with their pick(s) regardless.
Losers: Teams I believe will regret taking the player(s) they took.

He picks Calgary Flames as Overtime winner...Edmonton as a Loser (which we all knew)...

Last edited by Brick; 06-22-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #467
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post

This is pretty ridiculous... you do know that every team has their own scouts, right?! Every team has their own list?! Bob McKenzie coming up with a mock draft is helpful but its not some sort of magical list that is never wrong.. otherwise, teams should just fire their scouts.

How about we wait a few years before pretending anyone of us actually know anything about any of these players.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #468
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wheeler: Ranking every team’s Day 2 at the 2019 NHL Draft (Paywall)

https://theathletic.com/1041862/2019...019-nhl-draft/

He picks both Flames and Oilers as Overtime winners for day 2.

When you add up the 2 days, Flames come out ahead of the Oilers....
Old 06-22-2019, 11:42 PM   #469
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Obviously, we won't really know how teams actually did in this draft for quite some time.

There are many opinions out there but the players will ultimately show us.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #470
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
This is pretty ridiculous... you do know that every team has their own scouts, right?! Every team has their own list?! Bob McKenzie coming up with a mock draft is helpful but its not some sort of magical list that is never wrong.. otherwise, teams should just fire their scouts.

How about we wait a few years before pretending anyone of us actually know anything about any of these players.
Ridiculous to look at 4-5 different ranking lists and find correlations and compare a set of better rankings to a later selection position?

It's more ridiculous to assume I don't understand that teams make their own lists and have their own strategies. I was simply pointing out that the consensus scouting reports available to the viewer seemed to favour the Flames coming out on top over the Oilers in that regard.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #471
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/s...786606592?s=19

I won't pretend to understand but I think good is right and bad is left. So Calgary = good, Edmonton = no good, which we already knew.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 06-23-2019 at 10:38 AM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #472
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/s...786606592?s=19

I won't pretend to understand but I think good is right and bad is left. So Calgary = good, Edmonton = no good, which we already knew.
Would be interesting to scrape that WAR data and then adjust the draft for pick quality. Calgary with only 5 picks and no second sitting 5th is pretty impressive.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #473
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Err, yes, I agree bingo.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #474
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find the "evaluate how every team did" exercise really weird..especially the day of the draft. Every team has their own list and every analyst had their own list. In the case of analysts these are widely available ahead of time. It is not as though the quality of player changes between Friday and Monday. It is really just that partial intel about what a team would have done at a specific position is made public (it's not as though teams all release their lists and additional intel is gained based on every scouts intel on every single player). The best that these grades can be called is not "how did your team do", but rather how closely did your team correlate with any one analysts list.

If we are measuring on the correlation scale (which is effectively what we are doing)...then I would rather rank higher on Bob McKenzies than Pronmans scale, because I think Bob is a better evaluator of talent (albeit still an armature). It would be super interesting if every GM had to vorank 1 to 31 on how every team did. This would at least provide a consensus of the overal amature scouting group in the NHL at this point in time.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #475
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yep it cracks me up when fans and "experts" try and determine draft winners and losers hours afterwards.

It'll take 5 years to honestly have any true idea.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #476
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yep it cracks me up when fans and "experts" try and determine draft winners and losers hours afterwards.

It'll take 5 years to honestly have any true idea.
some one should look at the declared winners and losers from 5 years ago to see how close or far off the evaluations can be hours/days after a draft
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #477
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Has anyone gone back 5 or more years and looked at these winners or losers? I’d be curious which “experts” actuality have an idea what they’re talking about. I like to at old CP draft threads for that reason.
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #478
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brayden Tracey was on my flight home.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #479
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even Bob McKenzie has been wrong in the past evaluating prospects (probably more overvaluing than undervaluing) One instance was thinking Ryan Getzlaf would top out as a 2nd or 3rd line centre.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #480
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
some one should look at the declared winners and losers from 5 years ago to see how close or far off the evaluations can be hours/days after a draft
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ry-team#slide1

With total NHL games played at this point, and average # of games played.

Grade A+
  • New York Islanders: Michael Dal Colle, Josh Ho-Sang, Ilya Sorokin, Linus Soderstrom, Devon Toews, Kyle Schempp, Lukas Sutter. 133 GP, 19 GP average.
  • Vancouver: Jake Virtanen, Jared McCann, Thatcher Demko, Nikita Tryamkin, Gustav Forsling, Kyle Pettit, Mackenze Stewart. 665 GP, 95 GP average.

Grade A
  • Arizona: Brendan Perlini, Ryan MacInnis, Christian Dvorak, Anton Karlsson, Michael Bunting, Dysin Mayo, David Westlund, Jared Fiegl, Edgars Kulda. 380 GP, 42 GP average.
  • Los Angeles: Adrian Kempe, Roland McKeown, Alex Lintuniemi, Michael Amadio, Steven Johnson, Alec Dillon, Jake Marchment, Matthew Mistele, Spencer Watson, Jacob Middleton. 280 GP, 28 GP average.
  • Nashville: Kevin Fiala, Vladislav Kamenev, Jack Dougherty, Justin Kirkland, Viktor Arvidsson, Joonas Lyytinen, Aaron Irving. 529 GP, 76 GP average.
  • St. Louis: Robby Fabbri, Ivan Barbashev, Maxim Letunov, Jake Walman, Ville Husso, Austin Poganski, Jaedon Descheneau, Chandler Yakimowicz, Samuel Blais, Dwyer Tschantz. 361 GP, 36 GP average.

Grade A-
  • Buffalo: Sam Reinhart, Brendan Lemieux, Eric Cornel, Vaclav Karabacek, Jonas Johansson, Brycen Martin, Maxwell Willman, Christopher Brown, Victor Olofsson. 409 GP, 45 GP average.

Grade B+
  • Dallas: Julius Honka, Brett Pollock, Alexander Peters, Michael Prapavessis, Brent Moran, Miro Karjalainen, Aaron Haydon, John Nyberg, Patrick Sanvido. 87 GP, 10 GP average.
  • Edmonton: Leon Draisaitl, William Lagesson, Zachary Nagelvoort, Liam Coughlin, Tyler Vesel, Keven Bouchard. 351 GP, 59 GP average.
  • Winnipeg: Nikolaj Ehlers, Jack Glover, Chase De Leo, Nelson Nogier, Clinston Franklin, Pavel Kraskovsky, Matt Ustaski. 312 GP, 45 GP average.

Grade B
  • Anaheim: Nick Ritchie, Marcus Pettersson, Brandon Montour, Matthew Berkovitz, Ondrej Kase. 690 GP, 138 GP average.
  • Columbus: Sonny Milano, Ryan Collins, Elvis Merzlikins, Blake Siebenaler, Julien Pelletier, Tyler Bird, Olivier LeBlanc. 70 GP, 10 GP average.
  • Florida: Aaron Ekblad, Jayce Hawryluk, Juho Lammikko, Joe Wegwerth, Miguel Fidler, Hugo Fagerblom. 473 GP, 79 GP average.
  • Montreal: Nikita Scherbak, Brett Lernout, Nikolas Koberstein, Daniel Audette, Hayden Hawkey, Jake Evans. 58 GP, 10 GP average.
  • Pittsburgh: Kasperi Kapanen, Sam Lafferty, Anthony Angello, Jaden Lindo, Jeff Taylor. 133 GP, 27 GP average.
  • San Jose: Nikolay Goldobin, Julius Bergman, Noah Rod, Alex Schoenborn, Dylan Sadowy, Alexis Vanier, Rourke Chartier, Kevin Labanc. 351 GP, 44 GP average.
  • Tampa Bay: Anthony DeAngelo, Dominik Masin, Jonathan MacLeod, Brayden Point, Ben Thomas, Cristiano Digiacinto, Cameron Darcy. 361 GP, 52 GP average.
  • Toronto: William Nylander, Rinat Valiev, John Piccinich, Dakota Joshua, Nolan Vesey, Pierre Engvall. 251 GP, 42 GP average.

Grade B-
  • Detroit: Dylan Larkin, Dominic Turgeon, Christoffer Ehn, Chase Perry, Julius Vahatalo, Axel Holmstrom, Alexander Kadeykin. 387 GP, 55 GP average.
  • Ottawa: Andreas Englund, Miles Gendron, Shane Eiserman, Kelly Summers, Francis Perron. 9 GP, 2 GP average.

Grade C+
  • Chicago: Nick Schmaltz, Matheson Iacopelli, Beau Starrett, Frederik Olofsson, Luc Snuggerud, Andreas Soderberg, Dylan Sikura, Ivan Nalimov, Jack Ramsey. 217 GP, 24 GP average.
  • Minnesota: Alex Tuch, Louis Belpedio, Kaapo Kahkonen, Tanner Faith, Pontus Sjalin, Chase Lang, Reid Duke, Pavel Jenys. 161 GP, 20 GP average.
  • New Jersey: John Quenneville, Joshua Jacobs, Connor Chatham, Ryan Rehill, Joey Dudek, Brandon Baddock. 34 GP, 6 GP average.
  • Philadelphia: Travis Sanheim, Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Mark Friedman, Oskar Lindblom, Radel Fazleev, Jesper Pettersson. 245 GP, 41 GP average.
  • Washington: Jakub Vrana, Vitek Vanecek, Nathan Walker, Shane Gersich, Steven Spinner, Kevin Elgestal. 191 GP, 32 GP average.

Grade C
  • Boston: David Pastrnak, Ryan Donato, Danton Heinen, Anders Bjork, Emil Johansson. 600 GP, 120 GP average.
    Calgary: Sam Bennett, Mason McDonald. Hunter Smith, Brandon Hickey, Adam Ollas Mattsson, Austin Carroll. 312 GP, 52 GP average.
    Colorado: Conner Bleackley, Kyle Wood, Nicholas Magyar, Alexis Pepin, Anton Lindholm, Maximilian Pajpach, Julien Nantel. 62 GP, 9 GP average.

Grade D
  • Carolina: Haydn Fleury, Alex Nedeljkovic, Warren Foegele, Josh Wesley, Lucas Wallmark, Clark Bishop, Kyle Jenkins. 288 GP, 41 GP average.
  • New York Rangers: Brandon Halverson, Keegan Iverson, Ryan Mantha, Igor Shesterkin, Richard Nejezchleb, Daniel Walcott, Tyler Nanne. 1 GP, 0 GP average.

Strictly looking at a team's ability to draft NHLers, New York Islanders with an A+ is way off, Vancouver was accurate, Boston was criminally underrated, Anaheim should have been an A/A+ grade as well. Carolina didn't deserve a D rating, whereas the Rangers absolutely did.

Dallas, Columbus, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, New Jersey, and Colorado all did quite poorly, should be Cs/Ds in retrospection.

Last edited by AC; 06-23-2019 at 02:31 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: