Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #141
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
The guy played hockey with a broken thumb. Professional hockey, as a centre. I doubt I drive a car with a broken thumb.

Last year he battled through injuries that resulted in three (or four?) surgeries.

He goes to the hard places, where he scores on rebounds and deflections. The guy is a warrior through and through.

He’s an important player to Gaudreau and the first line does not work without him. He does a lot of small things right. He led the team in take aways to start with, but he doesn’t lay out people like mofoing Scott Stevens or beat people up like Iginla, so he sucks.

He slumped, played injured and the team underperformed.

The guy is the epitome of CLUTCH. How many GWG HAS HE SCORED?! Overtime, late 3rd, pots a goal, win. He has the second all time highest GWG in a season, leading chumps like Iginla, Niewendyk and Fleury. He’s fourth all time Flame for Christ’s sake. At age 24.

I get it, I’m pissed about the first round too and Monahan needs to improve skating and core strength. That’s fine, but calling him garbage and saying he sucks just shows how ignorant some people are.

Who would call him garbage? I could see people being upset with his lack of drive. I don’t think that anyone that plays in the nhl is Garbage. I don’t like the fact that he acts like the puck should come to him as opposed to fighting for the puck and skating harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #142
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryfox View Post
I had to do a quick double take to make sure we were talking about the same guy until I looked up the definition of "warrior"

war·ri·or
/ˈwôrēər/
noun
noun: warrior; plural noun: warriors; noun: warrior pose; plural noun: warrior poses
(especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.
synonyms: fighter, soldier, fighting man, serviceman, combatant
"fearsome warriors"
any of a number of standing poses in yoga in which the legs are held apart and the arms are stretched outwards.
"when you return to downward dog after the first round, add warrior poses I and II"

I guess you are right.
What the hell kinda dictionary are you looking at that includes yoga poses?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #143
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What the hell kinda dictionary are you looking at that includes yoga poses?
Must admit that I had to search for some time to find a definition of "warrior" that best suited 23's combative nature. Eventually found definition 2 in the Google web search below. Furthermore, there are 5 warrior poses in yoga, all of which were extensively practiced during games 1-5 of the first round of the playoffs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
calgaryfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #144
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Must admit that I had to search for some time to find a definition of "warrior" that best suited 23's combative nature. Eventually found definition 2 in the Google web search below. Furthermore, there are 5 warrior poses in yoga, all of which were extensively practiced during games 1-5 of the first round of the playoffs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I guess playing through multiple injuries doesn't count for you as "warrior-like".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #145
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I guess playing through multiple injuries doesn't count for you as "warrior-like".
If you count a sore thumb as multiple injuries, I guess so. If he was so banged up, he shouldn't of been on the ice.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #146
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sean Monahan’s biggest offseason

Hey guys I hit my thumb with a hammer putting up some drywall the other day. Please let my boss know I deserve to take several months off work without question for dealing with these multiple injuries like a warrior.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #147
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you count a sore thumb as multiple injuries, I guess so. If he was so banged up, he shouldn't of been on the ice.
I count a broken thumb (that he played through) as an injury. I count wrist, groin and 2 hernia issues requiring four surgeries (that he played through) as injuries. Is 5 in 2 years enough to be multiple for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #148
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I count a broken thumb (that he played through) as an injury. I count wrist, groin and 2 hernia issues requiring four surgeries (that he played through) as injuries. Is 5 in 2 years enough to be multiple for you?
Are there many NHL players that don't play through injuries though? Especially in the playoffs? For me, a "warrior" is someone willing to dish as much punishment as they take, even if they aren't the biggest or strongest they push back. Fleury, Iginla, Regehr, those guys are "warriors" to me, and yeah its a different game now but even when Gaudreau was getting manhandled Monahan just skates by the scrum.. So yeah I also have a hard time handing out the "warrior" title to a guy with 500 games, 0 fights and 0 big hits. (Lots of goals though, there's no disputing that).
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Are there many NHL players that don't play through injuries though? Especially in the playoffs? For me, a "warrior" is someone willing to dish as much punishment as they take, even if they aren't the biggest or strongest they push back. Fleury, Iginla, Regehr, those guys are "warriors" to me, and yeah its a different game now but even when Gaudreau was getting manhandled Monahan just skates by the scrum.. So yeah I also have a hard time handing out the "warrior" title to a guy with 500 games, 0 fights and 0 big hits. (Lots of goals though, there's no disputing that).
Firstly, Monahan's injuries, especially last year were not typical. Second, I suppose it's up to you to define what the word means for you. The person who called him a warrior was, no doubt referring to the injuries.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #150
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last year's news. Notably, they were mostly self inflicted because he didn't tell training staff until after the season ended about his injuries and they compounded. Not the brightest bulb in the light show.

Talking specifically about the 2019 playoffs - How did his sore thumb (he declared himself ok for the World Championships) affect his intensity and compete level in the playoffs? Warrior-like.....or not?
Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #151
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last year's news. Notably, they were mostly self inflicted because he didn't tell training staff until after the season ended about his injuries and they compounded. Not the brightest bulb in the light show.

Talking specifically about the 2019 playoffs - How did his sore thumb (he declared himself ok for the World Championships) affect his intensity and compete level in the playoffs? Warrior-like.....or not?
First of all, you are moving the goalposts - the person who referred to him as a warrior wasn't limiting it to this post season. Second, please source the fact he didn't tell training staff. Fact is, you aren't even telling the truth about it being after the season, because after the Flames were out of the hunt, but before the season ended, he did in fact get shut down.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #152
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
First of all, you are moving the goalposts - the person who referred to him as a warrior wasn't limiting it to this post season. Second, please source the fact he didn't tell training staff. Fact is, you aren't even telling the truth about it being after the season, because after the Flames were out of the hunt, but before the season ended, he did in fact get shut down.
Agree, I should have said when his season was shut down early...but in saying that, the Flames were only aware of two injuries at that time. The others were divulged later.

Qute: Source Sporting news
With the Flames' playoff hopes fading out of reach--Calgary currently trails Anaheim by eight points for the second wild card spot with seven games remaining--the team announced that Monahan's season will end prematurely.

Very little was disclosed about the top line center's injuries but one of the two will require surgery.

The goalposts haven't moved, it's the definition of warrior that's the issue. all professional sports and all NHL players get injuries, it's part and parcel of playing sports. Does that make them warriors? If you think so, well, whatever floats your boat. My interpretation is no, injuries are just an occupational hazard.

From my perspective, I have never seen anything warrior-like in any of 23's body of work.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #153
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Hey guys I hit my thumb with a hammer putting up some drywall the other day. Please let my boss know I deserve to take several months off work without question for dealing with these multiple injuries like a warrior.
Sorry Mrdonkey, We have reviewed your case and it has been determined that your ailment does not qualify for "multiple injury -Warrior status". However, you can submit your application using the "brave little soldier" tag.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #154
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Sean Monahan’s biggest offseason

Quote:
Agree, I should have said when his season was shut down early...but in saying that, the Flames were only aware of two injuries at that time. The others were divulged later.

Qute: Source Sporting news
With the Flames' playoff hopes fading out of reach--Calgary currently trails Anaheim by eight points for the second wild card spot with seven games remaining--the team announced that Monahan's season will end prematurely.

Very little was disclosed about the top line center's injuries but one of the two will require surgery....
This is utterly laughable.

The notion that Monahan withheld injuries from the team is based solely on your own interpretation of a fairly cursory article from a news source that is not at a well connected within the NHL. It is just as likely that the Flames did not disclose all of Monahan’s injuries and their extent at the time of this reporting, or rather, that Sporting News was simply not well appraised of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 05-15-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #155
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I had to do a quick double take to make sure we were talking about the same guy until I looked up the definition of "warrior"

war·ri·or
/ˈwôrēər/
noun
noun: warrior; plural noun: warriors; noun: warrior pose; plural noun: warrior poses
(especially in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.
synonyms: fighter, soldier, fighting man, serviceman, combatant
"fearsome warriors"
any of a number of standing poses in yoga in which the legs are held apart and the arms are stretched outwards.
"when you return to downward dog after the first round, add warrior poses I and II"

I guess you are right.

troll [ trohl ]

1. (in Scandinavian folklore) any of a race of supernatural beings, sometimes conceived as giants and sometimes as dwarfs, inhabiting caves or subterranean dwellings.

2. Slang . a person who lives or sleeps in a park or under a viaduct or bridge, as a derelict or poor person.

3. A person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.

I didn’t know about the second one, made it really difficult to settle for which definition I should have bolded.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #156
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
troll [ trohl ]

1. (in Scandinavian folklore) any of a race of supernatural beings, sometimes conceived as giants and sometimes as dwarfs, inhabiting caves or subterranean dwellings.

2. Slang . a person who lives or sleeps in a park or under a viaduct or bridge, as a derelict or poor person.

3. A person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.

I didn’t know about the second one, made it really difficult to settle for which definition I should have bolded.
Oh, I really want it to be 1!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #157
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is utterly laughable.

The notion that Monahan withheld injuries from the team is based solely on your own interpretation of a fairly cursory article from a news source that is not at a well connected within the NHL. It is just as likely that the Flames did not disclose all of Monaghan’s injuries and their extent at the time of this reporting, or rather, that Sprting News was simply not well appraised of the situation.
You know you’ve worked up Textcritic when...
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #158
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of discussion about Monahan’s thumb this year when all we really know:

He said he was fit to play in world championships.

Trellising (or maybe it was peters) said he had a cracked thumb.

Let’s be honest, we have no idea of the significance of the injury. But can’t everyone agree Monahan does a good job of getting to scoring areas and takes a lot of punishment along the way?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #159
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Sean Monahan's interview on TSN radio yesterday. Nothing earth shattering. He says he couldn't golf last year because of all his surgeries but he is fine now and can swing a club. So I guess the cracked thumb is healed up.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/monahan...-again~1721321
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #160
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Sean Monahan's interview on TSN radio yesterday. Nothing earth shattering. He says he couldn't golf last year because of all his surgeries but he is fine now and can swing a club. So I guess the cracked thumb is healed up.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/monahan...-again~1721321
I like Sean Monahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: