Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #14021
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yes it was needlessly abrasive, sorry for that. The message about Brad likely seeing a need to upgrade the top line to something more physical and/or two way was intended, but I botched the delivery getting too personal.
All good. End of the day I trust Trelving to do whats best for the team.
But I see limited assets and easier fixed holes that need way more attention than moving Monahan. I keep saying Jankowski on purpose. Because that's a spot where the Ricardo index failed miserably against Colorado.

I just don't see who the Flames could bring in trading Monahan to keep production similar to what the first line did this year AND add more grit up there at the same time. There's no guarantee that a new center has that type of chemistry with Gaudreau or Lindholm or whoever they have up there.

We will see, but an OJ rumor of moving Monahan just send me for a spin.

But also like last year when they traded Dougie, if you listen to those around the team you will know what is what. And for the first time ever I heard the idea of moving Monahan today so. Buckle for what could be a crazy ride this June I guess?

Doesn't mean I cannot think and say that the idea of moving your only #1 c is batsheet crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #14022
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Just an FYI...

I suspect the Bruins arent all that much behind them.

Size in this league still matters most when push comes to shove...it just has to be able to play as well.
You would be wrong about the Bruins.

Of the 12 forwards who have played the most for them this postseason, 8 are under 200 pounds and only 2 are over 205 pounds. 2 forwards are under 6' and 2 are over 6'1".

Of the 6 defencemen who have played the most for them this postseason, 3 are under 200 pounds, and the same 3 players are under 6' tall.

3 of their five shortest and 3 of their 4 lightest players are defencemen.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #14023
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not really about weight, as it is about tenacity. Calgary needs more players whose feet never stop moving.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #14024
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y'all seeing Ivan Barbashev out there? Thats what I'm talking about right there. Feet moving, smashing everything.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #14025
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Honestly, if Philadelphia comes calling and offers Nolan Patrick, Jacob Vorocek and Andrew MacDonald for Monahan, Jankowski and Brodie, you wouldn't jump at that?

It's fine to say that Monahan is a great player, but all you need is one GM to think that he is the second coming, and you can greatly improve this team.

You are betting that Nolan Patrick won't be another Bennett. Seems like a pretty big risk on the flames end. Voracek would be great but if Patrick stumbles you have backlund as your #1. Lindholm hasn't played center in the NHL.

Flames really missed the boat on that Sabres ROR trade. Maybe some other gm will get stupid.

Last edited by Bonded; 05-21-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #14026
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
You are betting that Nolan Patrick won't be another Bennett. Seems like a pretty big risk on the flames end. Voracek would be great but if Patrick stumbles you have backlund as your #1. Lindholm hasn't played center in the NHL.

Flames really missed the boat on that Sabres ROR trade. Maybe some other gm will get stupid.

I dont think Patrick has even started to be what he can be.

Playing behind Couturier and Giroux doesnt leave a lot for him to work with.

He, ironically, has a real Jeff Carter vibe to me.

You cant do a Monahan straight across for him, but i could see BT looking at a guy like that for sure.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #14027
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shopping Monahan makes little sense. Going shopping to add a high end forward? That makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #14028
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wild beat writer posted an article talking about Wild trade targets. 2 names mentioned are Frolik and Neal. Frolik is not surprising considering he was almost a member of the Wild at the deadline. Neal doesn’t make much sense unless Fenton loved him in Nashville. We all used to hope McPhee loved Brouwer a couple of years ago but no one was loving that contract.

Rask has been a huge bust for the Wild but I doubt they have interest in Neal. I wonder where Zuckers value is after a 21 goal season with 4 years at 5.5 left?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #14029
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The Wild beat writer posted an article talking about Wild trade targets. 2 names mentioned are Frolik and Neal. Frolik is not surprising considering he was almost a member of the Wild at the deadline. Neal doesn’t make much sense unless Fenton loved him in Nashville. We all used to hope McPhee loved Brouwer a couple of years ago but no one was loving that contract.

Rask has been a huge bust for the Wild but I doubt they have interest in Neal. I wonder where Zuckers value is after a 21 goal season with 4 years at 5.5 left?
He played well for Peters in Carolina....interesting.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #14030
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Man, the more I think about it, the more that a Neal-for-Rask deal could make a bit of sense. Rask played junior here, played extensively for Peters, and is decent defensively. Has a bit of offensive history too, just didn't have a good year last year at all.

Hmm. Here's hoping Fenton realllllly liked James Neal in Nashville.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 AM   #14031
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frolik+Neal+26th OA for Rask+Zucker? Too much of a reach?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:44 AM   #14032
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Frolik+Neal+26th OA for Rask+Zucker? Too much of a reach?
Neal has more negative value than the 26th OA has positive value.
But lets just say they cancel each other out.

I don't think Frolik gets you Rask + Zucker.

I were Treliving, I would do this deal, even with Mangiapane and a third round pick added.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #14033
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

I were Treliving, I would do this deal, even with Mangiapane and a third round pick added.
It is debatable that Rask has negative value as well and Zucker did not earn his pay. The Wild take on $300k in cap but the Flames take on the risk with more term. Both Neal and Zucker have 4 years left. Frolik has 1 and Rask has 3.

I am okay adding the third but not Mangiapane
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #14034
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Swap Brodie for Frolik in this deal, would that balance it? Do they need a top pair defenceman?

Then move Frolik for a pick?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:34 AM   #14035
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Swap Brodie for Frolik in this deal, would that balance it? Do they need a top pair defenceman?

Why on earth would you not include Frolik in the deal with a team that very nearly did a deal for Frolik, then do a hip substitution for someone they may not even want.

You can’t swing a cat on here without hitting someone who wants to trade Brodie
Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 AM   #14036
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

Under this scenario if the Flames made this deal I would be looking st the Habs and try and trade Brodie and Jankowski for their 1st. Flames will need to shed cap and I assume Brodie is an easier salary dump than Frolik. Hey also need prospects.

Last edited by Vinny01; 05-22-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #14037
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You don't agree that Brodie is an obvious candidate for a trade?

Flames have defensive depth. Trading a defenseman is trading from their strength. Brodie has some value, certainly more than Stone, as an example. To me, he is the obvious defenseman to go in a trade. Frolik is the obvious forward.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #14038
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I dont think Patrick has even started to be what he can be.

Playing behind Couturier and Giroux doesnt leave a lot for him to work with.

He, ironically, has a real Jeff Carter vibe to me.

You cant do a Monahan straight across for him, but i could see BT looking at a guy like that for sure.
Giroux exclusively played wing this season. Patrick has had a ton of chances this year to move up the line up but has failed to step up.

His skating is hurting him quite a bit as it is obvious the talent is there.

Guy gets minutes, powerplay time but until he kicks up his speed he won't be able to play his game like he wants to.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #14039
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Why on earth would you not include Frolik in the deal with a team that very nearly did a deal for Frolik, then do a hip substitution for someone they may not even want.

‘May’ is the operative word. Works either way.

Flames have a D log jam. Lots of GMs would be interested in Brodie and Frolik. Neal not so much. So if someone wants Neal I’d try to make that work in a deal first. In the scenario I quoted, the consensus was Frolik and 26 OA were not enough to make the deal. So I offered Brodie. Did I explain it well enough for you to understand?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #14040
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything except for the consensus part. Rask likely has negative value to Minnesota. The original proposal is likely closer to even than you think.