Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #1
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default AJHL Calgary Mustangs taking a leave of absence for next season

They had been trying to relocate the team to Strathmore but that recently fell through.
I believe the AJHL has yet to approve the leave but hard to think they wouldnt, unless they provide financing for the next season as the main reason is money to operate..
The Mustangs head coach last season was just named the new HC for SAIT two days ago.

https://www.660citynews.com/2019/05/...m-in-jeopardy/
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting...I know that the Canucks were looking at the concept of moving to Chestermere a couple years back, but have said they are committed to Calgary for next year.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it was Cochrane they looked at for the Canucks. Never heard Chestermere dont think that rink has the capacity the league would require.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the players, those with eligibilty remaining would probably have had their cards renewed at the end of the year.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I win the Lotto MAX, I'm building a rink in Airdrie and moving a AJHL franchise there.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I think it was Cochrane they looked at for the Canucks. Never heard Chestermere dont think that rink has the capacity the league would require.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the players, those with eligibilty remaining would probably have had their cards renewed at the end of the year.

https://calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc...-ajhl-test-run
From 2016...but nothing came of it.
And you are right...in fact I can see why Strathmore wouldn't be a big enough arena for the AJ as well, although it could certainly fit the size of crowds the Mustangs get at Fr. Bauer.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What will you do with the Heritage league Thunder? Which was a sticking point in Strathmore and Cochrane?

But if you do I will show up.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Thunder do SFA for minor hockey, an AJ team has a different social contract with the smaller communities.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post

The Canucks looked at Strathmore. They even played a couple games there a few years ago. And drew more than double they get at Max Bell. And given the Canucks nearly went under mid-season last year, relocations of both Calgary Junior A teams seems inevitable. Unfortunately, neither Airdrie nor Cochrane have suitable facilities for spectators.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Once they go on hiatus, they will be done. I can't see why the league said no to them moving to Strathmore. Sure the building isn't so great right now but 4 or 5 hundred in a crap building is better then 150 at FDB. It will also be interesting to see what happens out in Cranbrook with the ICE moving away, gotta think a BCHL team will want in there, but an AJHL team makes a lot of sense to.
The league also voted to go to a full interlocking schedule either this coming year or the one after meaning equal games against all teams (rather then 2 north vs south and then 6 within the division) so two trips to Ft Mc, and GP so much higher travel costs for the teams, such a wrong decision financially for so many of the teams.
Moving to Strathmore just seemed like such a no brainer, especially with them having lost the Bisons to Airdrie. And by the way Airdrie already has an AJHL team, they are just playing in the wrong league.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Balanced schedule is so stupid. Though I'm guessing it's driven by the northern teams that don't want to make three trips to Grande Prairie and Fort Mac a year.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff;7106110
The Mustangs head coach last season was just named the new HC for SAIT two days ago.

[url
https://www.660citynews.com/2019/05/05/future-of-calgary-mustangs-junior-a-hockey-team-in-jeopardy/[/url]
Tough to see after two years of exponential progress from Tyler Drader . He couldn't even get Calgary area kids to play for the progam when he took over.

Why is Leduc not looking in to an AJHL team? They have a fantastic facility that would suit an AJHL team.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #12
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The Thunder do SFA for minor hockey, an AJ team has a different social contract with the smaller communities.
Their decision. Some Jr B clubs do stuff in their communities.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Tough to see after two years of exponential progress from Tyler Drader . He couldn't even get Calgary area kids to play for the progam when he took over.

Why is Leduc not looking in to an AJHL team? They have a fantastic facility that would suit an AJHL team.
This is cool to see. I grew up with the Drader family. I could see Tyler going well beyond coaching in College. Has the perfect demeanor for it and knows his stuff.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ll know more about the 2019-20 AJHL Season as the League AGM takes place today, including the future of the current roster of the Mustangs. Details will be released sometime next week.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #15
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they can figure it out. Need more junior teams, not less.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #16
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the WHL or even NHL should step in and help.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #17
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ehh. The Mustangs are below the Flames, Hitmen, Dinos, Cougars and even Canucks on the totem pole. There's just too many teams in the market. The only real solution is to move the Mustangs and even the Canucks to the suburbs. But none of Strathmore, Airdrie or Cochrane has a suitable spectator arena.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #18
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ehh. The Mustangs are below the Flames, Hitmen, Dinos, Cougars and even Canucks on the totem pole. There's just too many teams in the market. The only real solution is to move the Mustangs and even the Canucks to the suburbs. But none of Strathmore, Airdrie or Cochrane has a suitable spectator arena.
What would be considered the minimum for an arena? I've played at both Canmore and Strathmore and they look to be (on first glance) equivalent to some of the other rinks in the AJHL like Canmore in terms of seating capacity. Rinks like Okotoks and Brooks are probably the exception rather than the norm around the league.

I agree moving them is the best option.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #19
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think you'd be surprised on arenas. Most of them seat in the 1500-3000 range. Ironically, FDB and Max Bell are two of the largest, but with by far the smallest fan bases. Strathmore's seats 700 at most and Airdrie about the same. But importantly, neither of those facilities are really designed as spectator arenas.

That said, if you can get 500 a game in Strathmore, even in a below par spectator rink, that has to be better than 220 in FDB. So it's a bit crazy that the AJHL decided it would rather just not have a team.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

from a travel perspective this is a pretty tough sell. Cranbrook to Calgary is ~4hrs. To Drum/Olds that would be almost 6hrs, 7 hrs or so to brooks. Lots of hours on the iron lung for games. The total time away from home for a wednesday game in olds would likely be a total of 14 to 16 hrs on good roads

A team there would have no easy road trips - nor would teams visiting there. Also tough mountain highways to deal with.

To me this would be a logistical nightmare - but i can see why people would talk about wanting a team there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
..... It will also be interesting to see what happens out in Cranbrook with the ICE moving away, gotta think a BCHL team will want in there, but an AJHL team makes a lot of sense to......