Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see an additional round with a play in for the playoffs?
Yes 24 14.37%
No 143 85.63%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many teams make it as is. Leave it alone and with 32 teams it'll be about right
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know how you do it, and in truth you probably just can’t force it to happen, but winning the regular season title needs to have more prestige. If you are going to force an 82 game schedule on us, it should be more than a precursor to the games that count.

Expanding the playoff tournament could be fun, but not the way the league is set up now. Change to a 62 game schedule, play each team twice with a few more days off during the season and maybe getting creative for the playoffs would be cool.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #43
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

16 in 16 out. That’s perfect.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #44
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Works for now but soon there will be 32 teams. Then we need to go to 32 -16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1.

By 2116, the NHL will expand to 64 teams for 200th anniversary. 64 -32 -16 - 8 - 4 - 2 - 1
The round of 32 teams is the regular season.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #45
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Can I get an explanation on the poll question? I assume a 'play in' wild card format is different from the wild card format we have now?
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #46
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
Can I get an explanation on the poll question? I assume a 'play in' wild card format is different from the wild card format we have now?
Likewise. Came to ask this very question. Please explain the poll question.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #47
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
In baseball, the wildcard teams play each other first to determine which team gets to join everyone else in the first round. I imagine the idea would be something similar to that.

A major difference between baseball and hockey being that a much smaller percentage of the league makes the first round of the playoffs
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #48
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Wild card games diminish the value of the regular season. Non starter.
I think it's done the opposite in baseball. Division titles are much more important now that a wild card spot only gets you a play in game. If done right, you could make the regular season more meaningful for teams at the top, if falling out of the top 2 means a play in game, and it would make for more meaningful games for more teams on the cusp.

Go straight wins/losses and add a play in game to account for any teams who think they may have got jobbed by having a bad shootout record.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #49
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I think it's done the opposite in baseball. Division titles are much more important now that a wild card spot only gets you a play in game. If done right, you could make the regular season more meaningful for teams at the top, if falling out of the top 2 means a play in game, and it would make for more meaningful games for more teams on the cusp.

Go straight wins/losses and add a play in game to account for any teams who think they may have got jobbed by having a bad shootout record.
I think you are missing the fact that the play-in came with an extra wild-card spot in baseball. Before, it was all the division winners and the one team that was best-of-the-rest. Now, you can be second best-of-the-rest in the regular season and still get a chance to play your way in.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #50
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I want to change about the playoffs is for them to start about a month earlier.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #51
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Changed the poll question.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #52
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the excitement of a play in game. Expand by one team on both sides and do that. One game showdown to get in. It's awesome.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #53
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^

Would definitely create more exciting games towards the end of the season.

You'd have teams battling to finish 7th (to avoid the one game showdown).

Then you'd have teams battling to finish 8th and 9th to be able to play the one game showdown.

And would actually make a lot of sense for teams that finish higher to have a couple extra days off to rest from injuries for the playoffs to begin.

There is a definite need to cut down on "off" days in between games once playoffs begin though, the season is far too long.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #54
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I love the excitement of a play in game. Expand by one team on both sides and do that. One game showdown to get in. It's awesome.
Disagree for hockey unless there was a much more substantial change to the playoff format. In baseball, it's still two of the top teams playing each other, because they are stuck in divisions with a powerhouse. In hockey, when half the teams already make it, it would be two borderline teams and the game would really only be meaningful to the teams involved. I think it would take away from the excitement of the end-of-season race for the last spot.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #55
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
^^

Would definitely create more exciting games towards the end of the season.

You'd have teams battling to finish 7th (to avoid the one game showdown).

Then you'd have teams battling to finish 8th and 9th to be able to play the one game showdown.

And would actually make a lot of sense for teams that finish higher to have a couple extra days off to rest from injuries for the playoffs to begin.

There is a definite need to cut down on "off" days in between games once playoffs begin though, the season is far too long.
One of the great things about hockey playoffs is anyone can win once you're in. It's a big grind for everyone and I don't think it would be right to give an advantage to the top teams beyond home ice advantage and opponent match-up.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #56
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like any idea that lengthens the play-offs. Long enough as it is. This means no extra rounds for wild cards for me.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #57
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like the idea mentioned above that if any two teams have the exact same number of points that they should play a play-in game. I think it's a great thing that the WHL does.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #58
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seriously? God no. And they should shorten the season as well.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This topic makes me very very annoyed with Elliott Friedman. I feel like this has been his baby for a long time. Love the guy, he's great at his job but his constant droning about expanded playoffs annoys me to no end.

I mean, hes been on this since Vegas came into the league.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #60
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

if you do 1v16 you'd have to do 2-3-2 series to reduce travel

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote