Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default First Impressions of Bill Peters

He likes to dump and chase... A lot

"When we've been at our best we put the puck behind teams and establish a forecheck"

"You can't always carry it in... You gotta put it in behind people... If you're trying to pull up and delay and you're 5 feet inside the blue line and you turn it over there, it's the kiss of death"

This last quote seems like it's directed at Johnny. Gone are the days of Gaudreau carrying the puck into the offensive zone and stopping just inside the blue line, often using the button hook. Gaudreau has had some success using this move in the past, but we've also seen it backfire. Personally, I think Johnny looks best when he's got linemates who are driving the net and backing off defenders, allowing Johnny to cut to the middle of the ice and either put the puck on net or connect with a pass to the trailer.

Now we're seeing Gaudreau dump the puck in and Monahan or Lindholm give chase. Monahan doesn't have the best puck retrieval skills. Lindholm will have to pick up the slack here if this is going to be our main forecheck strategy.

Another thing I noticed from the first game was our wingers waiting at the opposing blue line for the slap pass/dump into the zone, often quite stationary. This may have allowed us to dump the puck in from behind the red line without icing the puck, but because our players are basically at a stand still, they we're not able to get in behind the other team. The timing seems a bit off. If you're going to have one player standing still waiting for the slap pass, the other winger needs to be at full stride crossing the blue line at the same time as the puck. Hopefully this improves with time.

Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been trying to figure out who it is he reminds me of since the day he was hired. I was never quite able to put my finger on it, but the thumbnail for this video finally caused it to click.

Bill Peters is Gordon Ramsay in a wig.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He competes with GG with an actual head of hair.

In all seriousness, it was nice that he is more than willing to switch the lines to make things work. That's how we got our goals:

Changed Lindholm with Neal on the line of Gaudreau and Monahan. Goal.

Changed Frolik with Czarnik on the line of Tkachuk and Backlund. Goal.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I've been trying to figure out who it is he reminds me of since the day he was hired. I was never quite able to put my finger on it, but the thumbnail for this video finally caused it to click.

Bill Peters is Gordon Ramsay in a wig.
Damn... Damn, damn, damn that is a good observation.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too soon
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Fire him.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It’s not GG we should all be on cloud 9.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

We’re trending towards 0 wins, a 0 % pp and 164 goals on the year. I think the Peters experiment can be called a complete failure at this point. I’m hoping Scotty Bowman comes out of retirement and the Flames can nab him.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Too soon
But... The thread literally has "first impressions" in the title
erikk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erikk3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Peters. I like the cut of his jib and how he speaks about the game. I could listen to Bill Peters talk hockey until the cows come home.

It's a new system and I hate the idea it may take up to 20 games for the team to finally execute and hope it take half the time. But I am excited to see things roll once the team gets it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want him to be the answer and the long term coach this team needs to compete for a cup over the next 5 years. I have to say I was very skeptical when he was hired and was concerned what I read about him from a Cane fan perspective as their complaints seemed to mirror ours with the previous coaching staff.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that in approach and personality he seems genuine, adaptable, system minded, and a good balance between task master and player's coach. He's a straight shooter and he's honest, not looking to gloss anything over. I like that.

However, in game 1 the team looked eerily like last year. Not ready, not utilizing their skill and speed (which they now have in spades over the 17-18 edition), and terribly indecisive. That's not encouraging given the turn-over throughout the team and the fact they had a legitimate pre-season for the first time in 3 years.

Those are my first impressions, but I'm still far more sold on him and Ward than I have on any coach that has been behind the bench since one Darryl Sutter. He's going to have a long leash to get things working from this guy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
But... The thread literally has "first impressions" in the title
What comes before first impressions.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

adequate
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #15
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not going to put the wild expectation on bill that he eradicate all the GG&DC demon spirits in two weeks of preseason and game 1. Obviously gaudreau and other players were still using gulutzans drop pass zone entry on their own accord and were told to cut it out half way through the game since it's clearly not a part of the new staffs system, so the team still has to shake a lot of old habits. If we can give the pretty boy 20 games to adjust (or not) then we can surely do the same for Peters.

I think more dump and chase would be a refreshing change as it would get them moving their feet more but we also have some good possession players that can carry it when it's the better play. Honestly just mix things up. If we can become more creative and less predictable, that would be nice as hell.

To this point I like that he uses time outs like a coach should, and that he approved the Dube and Valimaki roster moves. I don't like that he limited the 4th line kids as much as he did but I think he was trying to get the team on the board by riding the top guys. Hopefully we can work out four line combinations that allow him to be comfortable to roll every line.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-06-2018 at 12:27 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm not going to put the wild expectation on bill that he eradicate all the GG&DC demon spirits in two weeks of preseason and game 1. Obviously gaudreau and other players were still using gulutzans drop pass zone entry on their own accord and were told to cut it out half way through the game since it's clearly not a part of the new staffs system, so the team still has to shake a lot of old habits. If we can give the pretty boy 20 games to adjust (or not) then we can surely do the same for Peters.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
kman35ca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Well I like the fact he is going to hold players accountable, and is pretty honest in his evaluation of last game.
I also liked that he is willing to mix and match, which like someone else said lead to goals. He or Ward actually dropped the boneheaded drop pass that just slowed the team down on zone entries. If they are going to use that drop pass, use it maybe once and a while, but it has to be timed right.
Hopefully he can instill a killer instinct into this team as well. I think Neal will help with this too.
Overall I like what I've seen from him, and I'm under no illusion that it will take time to get this team to really settle into his type of game he wants. I was hoping for a seamless transition from training camp. But I think that's a touch naive to think that. With the amount of new players, coaches etc. It probably will take 10+ games. But they better still win the majority of games till then, even if they are 1 goal games and they squeak by.
BUT, I will not tolerate this team coming out and only playing 20 minutes a game. And hopefully he won't either. It's 60 minutes, and these players better be working their arses of all 60 mins. No more excuses in that area.

Last edited by kman35ca; 10-06-2018 at 12:35 PM.
kman35ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kman35ca For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comes exactly as advertised. A system that is corsi driven. Has his guys and will rely on them. Not afraid to mix things up. Nothing surprising.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #19
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't pay much attention to advanced stats so pardon my ignorance, but who are other notable coaches that rely heavily on them?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #20
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Meh. Tough to be pleased with a crap game but good talk after the game. I want to be pleased with the on ice product. Team wasn’t ready. Today we see how they respond.

If you are saying he is going to push for majority dump and chase we have a problem. I am sure there are stats related to success based on zone entry. Plus a guy like Johnny has the strength of evading guys when he has possession. If we have a coach that is going to ignore player strengths, that is not a good thing.

I do know that even worse for carrying over habits from the last year would be people talking about the drop pass because they didn’t use it much at all. There were much bigger issues last game.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: