Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2018, 09:05 PM   #101
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This might be the most embarrassing column of David Staples's storied basement-blogging career:

My god. What drivel.

My take:
  1. Edmonton is no good.
  2. Comparing Canada's armpit to the second largest metropolis in the United Kingdom is beyond laughable. Comparing the Edmonton Oilers to the Manchester United—perhaps the most storied and recognizable sports franchise in the entire world—defies any semblance of reason.
  3. Edmonton's memories of Gretzky and the 1980s success is absolutely NOT fading. Good lord. If anything, these memories are becoming fabrications of overactive imaginations that have been starved of success for such a long time there is nothing left to grasp onto.
  4. There is so much cheese in this blog-post that it practically dwarfs the surplus of dairy products in the US.
  5. David Staples is a cartoon character. I am starting to doubt that he is actually a real person.
I don't think any commentary necessary. Just embarassing that an article with that level of pure delusion is coming from the last vestiges of a big J journalists in that or any city.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #102
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

From the Calgary Flames reddit insider that's been posted a bunch lately:

Quote:
Edmonton Oilers contacted James Neal first and were told Neal had no interest in signing with them

The Oilers proposed a contract that would have paid Neal about $4 million dollars more over the length of the contract. Neal quickly let them know he wasn't interested in signing with them.

It's a slow summer and while I've known this info for a while thought I'd share it for a good long weekend laugh.
The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
---Hatrick---, 1Nite, anyonebutedmonton, ASP#26525, badradio, BeltlineFan, Benched, BloodFetish, Bourque's Twin, bubbsy, Bunk, BurningYears, bzoo02, Calgary Highlander, calgarybornnraised, calgaryred, Captain Hair, Captaincanada80, CaptainCrunch, CedarMeter, Cheese, ColoradoFlamesFan, CroFlames, direwolf, djsFlames, FlameFan21, FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, FlatLandFlamesFan, ForeverFlameFan, getbak, handgroen, HockeyPuck, I-Hate-Hulse, Icon, IGGYFORMVP, ignite09, IliketoPuck, Insufficient Funds, Itse, jaikorven, Jiri Hrdina, KipperRules, lambeburger, Lanny'sDaMan, Larry David, Loudog, midniteowl, N-E-B, Pellanor, Plaedo, Redliner, Roof-Daddy, Rubicant, savardandjokinen, sec304, slybomb, SOMBRI, StAlbertFlame, Star-Lord, Tbull8, Textcritic, the2bears, topfiverecords, tvp2003, VilleN, Zulu29
Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 PM   #103
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
How would that even had worked with the Oilers cap situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 08-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #104
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Nobody ever said that Chia was good at the math.

I can just see that call now.

the Oilers GM calls free agent James Neal at Tire World to offer him a contract with the Oilers

Peter Chiarella: How would you like play for the Oilers this year?
James Neal: Gee, I don't know...
Peter Chiarella: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to play with Connor McDavid.
James Neal: Let me get back to you, will ya, Peter? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 10:05 PM   #105
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
He commented later that he "(doesn't) know the length the Oilers offered only that he left about 4 million on the table. So at 6 years thats about $650,000 more a year."

But if he had been offered $4M over the same 5 years, that would have been a $6.55M AAV.

The Oilers signed Rieder, Brodziak, Gravel, and Jerebak for a combined $4.85M but likely would need to move a contract to make it work still given that they have $4M in cap space currently to sign Nurse still.

Last edited by AC; 08-31-2018 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #106
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only "mystique" surrounding Edmonton resides entirely within the city limits of Edmonton. Everyone else in the world sees that sad, little backwater for what it is.
The "mystique" surrounding Edmonton is "what's that smell?".
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 10:33 PM   #107
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, I'm beginning to love James Neal more and more every day and he has yet to play one minute for the Calgary Flames!
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 10:55 PM   #108
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The Oilers signing Neal almost certainly would have meant that they would have had to trade RNH to dump salary.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 PM   #109
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Oh man, I'm beginning to love James Neal more and more every day and he has yet to play one minute for the Calgary Flames!
He's what this team needed so badly, and I believe we all thought we never had a chance at a top RW in FA without overpaying through the teeth.

It says so much and he is just what this team needs
Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #110
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Staples article... the only sensible conclusion at this point is that he is just trolling everyone.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #111
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
That's fantastic.

Funny how a player from multiple cup final caliber teams who wants to sign to win doesn't see the Oilers as being anywhere close (despite *gasp* mcdavid!) but sees promise in the Flames enough to sign with them over many suitors.

There's only one team in Alberta on the verge on the next couple seasons and it ain't in the north, kids.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-01-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #112
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The "mystique" surrounding Edmonton is "what's that smell?".
McStink
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #113
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just ventured over to the other forum to get my Saturday morning laugh in and wow some serious delusion over there.

Not only do 65% of them believe the Oilers are destined to make the playoffs this year but a large number of them believe Nurse is a far superior player than Hanifin. They’re arguing trying to say Nurse deserves more money, it’s amazing. Come on Chia, give the man his 8x8, it’s what the fans want.
The Following User Says Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #114
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I tend to believe that the Nurse vs Hanifan comparisons aren't going to be close in the years to come.

Nurse isn't what I'd called an offensive dynamo, and watching him, I don't think that he's all that consistent or great in his own end.

I tend to think that the Oilers believe they had a potential Dion who won't be crippled by a hip problem that destroyed his skating, I believe that have a player that's more like a bit more competent Dennis Gauthier.

I honestly think that he will get badly exposed when they play him in their top two this year and become this years Oilyaz fans version of Jeff Petry or Theo Peckham.

The pressure on Nurse will be immense if he holds the Oilers hostage and forces them to trade one of their few offensive assets in RNH for cap space.

Oh and I couldn't be happier about that thought, then they can clamor for his trade and that back jumping idiot can ply his trades in the East.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #115
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If/when Nurse gets more money than Hanifin, despite being a caveman pylon, it's gonna be great because Oil fans will be ecstatic about it. To them it'll just support their insane conclusion that Nurse is better. Afterall, if he makes more money, he must be better? Right? Couldn't be that they have a moron GM or that they overvalue and overpay players constantly because their depth sucks and no one wants to play for that dumpster fire franchise.

And in the event they sign him for less, it'll be a short bridge deal. I'd like to say this might be accidental luck for the Oilers, rewarding their ineptitude and poor cap management because I think Nurse is going to be a total dud. But who are we kidding. It means he'll either leave for nothing, won't have any trade value or they'll have to overpay to sign him when the bridge deal is up.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #116
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
I just ventured over to the other forum to get my Saturday morning laugh in and wow some serious delusion over there.

Not only do 65% of them believe the Oilers are destined to make the playoffs this year but a large number of them believe Nurse is a far superior player than Hanifin...
There is a lot of delusion over there. I quite found this funny:

Quote:
"Drai is the wildcard, does he end up around a point a game or does he push 90ish points?"
Never scored anywhere remotely near 90 points, and yet to register a point/game season, and these are the two likely outcomes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #117
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

I ran across this, the Las Vegas handicapping this year's over/under for the Playoffs...https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...d-fd11a3add11a

The headline:

Vegas betting odds have Edmonton Oilers out of the playoffs, with over/under at 91.5 points

Vegas has your Flames at 2 points better than the Grease...both missing the cut...(they, also make my 'Hawks a poor also-ran at 84.5points, of course, I'd say that the 'Hawks would be a bargain at the over, Ward would be an upgrade over last year backups, and Crawford could, potentially, return, and his loss, last season, was massive. Moreover, statistically, Keith, Saad and Toews had awful shooting "luck", according to some of those esoteric advanced stats. )

Last edited by thefoss1957; 09-02-2018 at 08:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #118
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Exactly ...

and it's why I'm tempered on Jankowsi and Bennett to some degree. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Add in two new top six forwards which helps the first two lines, and better players on the third and fourth lines are great.

But you can only shave off so much opportunity for third liners if you're top six is stacked
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...0&postcount=53

Just sayin'
Old 09-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #119
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
You may want to elaborate when you say "just saying" ... just saying what?

That the 27th ranked offence that included the top center hurt for half a year can't increase by 18 goals?

My list is pretty consistent with what I said, you can't have everyone going up as the trickle down doesn't work.

I had 7 of the 11 players within a goal of where they were last year. Monahan (healthy), Backlund (off year) and Bennett (has to be better doesn't he) are the only jumps of any kind.

Just saying ...
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #120
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Estimating a team’s goals by predicting player by player is tough IMO. Guys will get injured, play hurt etc. I know some believe the Flames were disproportionately affected by injuries last year, but I don’t know if that’s really true. Look at teams like the Oilers, where McDavid had to play much of the season with the sniffles and a tummy ache.
Closed Thread