Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2018, 05:57 PM   #1501
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ahh, true. That makes sense.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #1502
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final base characters actually revealed, the leak was phony. Just two:

Ken (Street Fighter)
Incineroar (Pokemon)

Though they also revealed Piranha Plant (Mario) as a DLC fighter that will launch in February as free to anyone who buys the game before Jan. 31st.

Also, there will be 5 DLC packs that each contain a new fighter, stage, and music released periodically through to February 2020. Pass to get the whole set is $30... will be the first DLC season pass I buy!

Also a ton of new information about new modes and features in the Direct. This game is gigantic. Can't wait, just 5 weeks to go!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #1503
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For people that maybe want to try Labo but haven't jumped in yet the Labo Robot Kit is $49.99 on Amazon (regular $99.99)

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Labo-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Also the Story Mode trailer for Smash Bros Ultimate looked amazing.

Spoiler!

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-05-2018 at 12:18 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #1504
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

So what, this is a RPG fighter?
Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #1505
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I dropped $110 on the digital bundle with the Fighter's Pass. Wife says I should be done buying games for 2018 now...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #1506
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
For people that maybe want to try Labo but haven't jumped in yet the Labo Robot Kit is $49.99 on Amazon (regular $99.99)

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Labo-...70_&dpSrc=srch
Cool, thanks. Too bad it wasn't the variety kit.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #1507
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Wife says I should be done buying games for 2018 now...
Nope, holiday steam sale is still around the corner. Good luck with that.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #1508
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Diablo 3 runs pretty buttery smooth on the Switch. Pretty cool to play local multiplayer on two different Switches with someone.

On another note - Pokemon in 10 days, Smash in a month?!?
Old 11-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #1509
nwflamesfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

A youtube app has finally been added.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ni.../1100-6463125/

nwflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nwflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #1510
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's get some Netflix and Amazon Prime in there, and I'll be able to put the WiiU away.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #1511
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pokemon Lets Go came out today.

My wife had the day off...she’s put in 7 hours of game time already (only got the game at 10) and has been sending pictures to her friends.

If word of mouth on this takes off with casual gamers then Nintendo is going to sell a lot of Pokémon and Switch consoles.

Hell I might have to get another one just so I can get my Switch back.

I know everyone is not a fan but have really liked the art style from what I’ve seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #1512
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pokemon Let's Go seems perfect for new or casual fans

A lot of people got into Pokemon because of Pokemon Go, and this new game seems like a perfect segway into the real series of games
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #1513
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere today, but Shopper's Drug Mart has the Switch console on sale today. Regular price, but with a $125 gift card which is enough for a game + controller set or almost 2 games. Pretty good deal if you are in the market.

You might have to ask for it specifically as the electronics are usually behind the counter.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #1514
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere today, but Shopper's Drug Mart has the Switch console on sale today. Regular price, but with a $125 gift card which is enough for a game + controller set or almost 2 games. Pretty good deal if you are in the market.

You might have to ask for it specifically as the electronics are usually behind the counter.
I picked one up yesterday. Great deal!

The new Pokemon game is really good. It's somewhat more casual than the mainline titles, but very fun still. I find the Go style wild encounters to be a lot less grindy than the old random encounter system.

My biggest gripe with the game is the catch combo system. I wish it was done by route or area as opposed to by the Pokemon. Catching 12 weedles in a row for a Bulbasaur to finally appear is just as grindy as the old system.

Overall really fun game though. Awesome reimagining of Red/Blue.
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #1515
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Pokemon Let's Go seems perfect for new or casual fans

A lot of people got into Pokemon because of Pokemon Go, and this new game seems like a perfect segway into the real series of games
My son and I no lifed it this weekend since he was sick. 26 Hours but I would say 15-20hrs to complete story and then just farming. The hybrid system of catching wild pokemon like Pokemon Go and battles like normal and the 2 in 1 make this game really fun to me.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:09 PM   #1516
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
My son and I no lifed it this weekend since he was sick. 26 Hours but I would say 15-20hrs to complete story and then just farming. The hybrid system of catching wild pokemon like Pokemon Go and battles like normal and the 2 in 1 make this game really fun to me.
Me too.

I was a little concerned that the game would be missing something without the wild battles but it actually reduces the grind a little.

Especially since the battles are less random and have to be initiated.

In the originals nothing was more annoying than trying to go back to a city to do something, and having to walk through a field with 30 ratatas constantly attacking you and you just wanting to get where you are going.

Having the choice of going after the Pokemon or not (most of the time) makes it a much more enjoyable and streamlined experience for me.

Maybe lacking a little depth overall compared to the newer versions but at the same time those newer versions got a but too complicated for my liking so not minding the return to the series roots.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #1517
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have played Super Smash Brothers on another system (N64?) and didn't find it too great. It seemed like a normal fighting game. There seems to be a lot of hubbub with the new iteration coming out. Can someone explain to me why the game is good and why I should care? I think I'm missing something and would like to be educated.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #1518
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I have played Super Smash Brothers on another system (N64?) and didn't find it too great. It seemed like a normal fighting game. There seems to be a lot of hubbub with the new iteration coming out. Can someone explain to me why the game is good and why I should care? I think I'm missing something and would like to be educated.
The game is good because it has a huge variety of video game characters available in a combat system that is more forgiving to newcomers than other fighting games. I'm surprised you said it seemed like a normal fighting game, because it doesn't follow many traditions of fighting games.

- No health bar, but a percentage that can go up way past a normal amount. It's more forgiving.
- No complicated combos to memorize. You have a regular attack button and a special attack button, and holding a direction with one of those buttons does a different kind of attack. You can hold down the button to charge the move.
- It's not a single life and you're done. The default is 3 stocks of your character, and when you fall out, you immediately jump back in.

It has a gigantic roster which is bound to appeal to anyone who has played video games in some way. It has an equally gigantic amount of stages, chock full of nostalgia and references to the games they come from. The game has the most impressive collection of video game music (and remixes) in history, both quantity and quality.

The producer of the game is a perfectionist and puts far more effort than is required into these games, and it shows. A simple example is the incredible amount of control scheme options you have - the Wii U version had everything from Gamecube controllers (up to 4), Wii remotes with and without nunchuks, Wii or Wii U classic and pro controllers, and the Wii U gamepad. You can customize the input settings however you want.

Most importantly, it's just a fun party game. Get some of your friends together and mash buttons for a while. It's easy to pick up without diving into everything I just mentioned. It's been a system seller since the Gamecube version came out. On my Wii and Wii U, it's far and away the most played game by hours.

If for some reason you're looking for single player, they even have something available for that. It's not usually anything special, but it's there for those who want it.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Mazrim; 11-19-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #1519
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pro controller just dropped to $59.96 on Amazon. Temporarily, no doubt. :

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/..._lBR9Bb9FMNAMS

I can’t justify $90, but I may be able to justify $60. I don’t hate the joy-cons, but how does everyone like their pro controller?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #1520
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet, thanks! I've been waiting for a sale on that. Ordered.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote