Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #621
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Looking back a page, it looks like Forge is coming in at under 500 for seasons in the prime seats around mid field, while we are going to be over 1000 for those same seats? That can't be right.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #622
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really disappointed with the prices. When I saw what other clubs were rolling out I expected we would be roughly in line with bigger cities like Edmonton and Hamilton.

At least throw in a free jersey at those prices. Hell I want free parking too at $50 per game.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #623
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is ridiculous. I was thinking that I might get seasons in a year or so, depending on how the first season goes, but not at those prices. Might drop in for a game or two, since the prices in the secondary market might have the potential to be a decent bit cheaper than Season ticket holder cost.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #624
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Why cant Calgary organizations do anything right?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #625
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what would be more damaging for Cavalry... cancelling and re-doing the ticket packages, or sticking with this.

Still shocked, hopefully shermanator hears something positive from Tommy Wheeldon and some sense is talked into these guys.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #626
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I wonder what would be more damaging for Cavalry... cancelling and re-doing the ticket packages, or sticking with this.

Still shocked, hopefully shermanator hears something positive from Tommy Wheeldon and some sense is talked into these guys.
Well it's hard to imagine a strategy more damaging then going with an epmty stadium. I can't picture many people buying those 77-200 dollar tickets.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #627
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Well it's hard to imagine a strategy more damaging then going with an epmty stadium. I can't picture many people buying those 77-200 dollar tickets.
I agree. Redoing it makes them look unprofessional, but at least they would show they care about their new fan base and are attuned to the realities with their product. Otherwise, I'd be shocked if they have more than 1000 season ticket holders.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #628
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got off the phone with Tommy. I would love to have some good news but I don't. There is a dedicated supporters section, a dedicated away section, and about 2500 seats under $30 but that's about the best news I can give.

Money talks. Passion doesn't. Hope everyone gives em their honest feedback when they call members.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #629
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Just got off the phone with Tommy. I would love to have some good news but I don't. There is a dedicated supporters section, a dedicated away section, and about 2500 seats under $30 but that's about the best news I can give.

Money talks. Passion doesn't. Hope everyone gives em their honest feedback when they call members.
I think we all appreciate your efforts. I was for sure going to purchase before yesterday. Now it's a real tough call.

Right now it feels like a failed franchise in the making. Unless they have plans to bring in some active NT players, foreign NT players and really roll out a true Div 1 product, I can't substantiate paying more than I do for centre field seats at a Sounders game for what looks like something between PDL and USL.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #630
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

$30 x 15 = $450 maybe is acceptable. And that's a giant maybe. I think the club will have trouble even filling out those 2500 cheap seats, let alone the $200 "private seating" experiences.

The aim of the club (and CPL) at its infancy should be to try to get as many bodies coming through the gate and get people talking about the professional soccer in the city to build up the intrique.

First off, the location is not the best (nice facility but too far away from the majority of the city), and now we get the news that the ticket prices are expensive. This combination has already turned off a lot of the potential target market (new Canadians who may not have the financial means to attend the more established NHL/CFL games and simply "get more" about soccer than hockey/football). Heck, you can even go to a Hitmen game with cheaper tickets and a more central location with a higher level competition.

Anyways, getting 3000 people in at $10 each is better than only getting 500 people paying $30. Even getting 1000 people in at $10 is better for the atmosphere.

I have paid my $50 to become a "founding member" or however they want to sugarcoat it. I am not sure if I will actually purchase season tickets now at these prices. I honestly was thinking season tickets at the supporter/ultra section is going to be like $10-$15, not $30. Maybe I will just cut my loss now.

Last edited by lazypucker; 11-17-2018 at 03:00 PM.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #631
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure which of the "Troops" (seriously just drop the corny military theme) section is $13 and which is $29, but that I have to ask concerns me. I would assume the supporters section would be $13, but who knows. I guess I will find out the week of December 3.

Let's put it this way. I'm debating not getting season tickets based on this roll out. I don't know if I have it in me to fight for a proper club vs a corporate club from the get-go.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #632
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, at those prices, they'd better have corporations lining up for those premium seats.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #633
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Let's put it this way. I'm debating not getting season tickets based on this roll out. I don't know if I have it in me to fight for a proper club vs a corporate club from the get-go.
Wow Sherm, even you, the unofficial ambassador for soccer on CP, are not convinced by the club. How can casual fans like us be convinced?

The other CPL clubs seems to be more grassroots/community-oriented, but yet Calgary seems like the evil empire that's main goal is to maximize revenue. Is that maybe because the club is owned by Spruce Meadows and they have to keep the "elitist, show jumping/country club" image? Like horse shows are only attended by the upper class who will drop loads of money, and so should any other events that are held on their premise?
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #634
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

From Reddit:

NSFW!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #635
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure which of the "Troops" (seriously just drop the corny military theme.
No doubt. Of all the cool military themed rank names they could have used...terrible.

It feels like they missed a broader opportunity to involve the Military Museums, or our local Canadian Forces outfit, tand name some of the assets to raise money and profile for all involved.

They could target museum members/donors for special family nights or deals on tickets. Cavalry could offer Museum passes as part of the ticket package. I don't know, I think if you're gonna use a brand with baggage/history you might as well go all in or build your own brand.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #636
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That chart makes it worse.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #637
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Ya it's a big ole 'F you' from the club to the fans. I should have been the easiest sell in the world. Big soccer fan, love live sports, live in the SE. I was almost certain I was going to get season tickets, and at this point now I'm thinking I'll just pass altogether. They better do something in a hurry to save this.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #638
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That chart makes me laugh!

How can you be charging $3000 where everybody else is charging $599, $699 for top-tier tickets?
Old 11-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #639
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Ya it's a big ole 'F you' from the club to the fans. I should have been the easiest sell in the world. Big soccer fan, love live sports, live in the SE. I was almost certain I was going to get season tickets, and at this point now I'm thinking I'll just pass altogether. They better do something in a hurry to save this.
That is sure how it feels to a lot of us.

Easiest thing for them to do at this point is to add some perks, and release some actual stadium renders so we know we're not paying for glorified bleachers. Show us why we should be gouged.

Its amazing how anyone who wants to a project for Calgary/Alberta seems to come down with a case of incompetence. It's really depressing.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-17-2018 at 04:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #640
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Its amazing how anyone who wants to a project for Calgary/Alberta seems to come down with a case of unfathomable greed. It's really depressing.
FYP.

It is truly disgusting that it seems like everything as far as sports and entertainment goes in this city is catered to only the wealthiest of people. Hockey is for rich people, I get that. Football also requires a lot of gear and infrastructure to play. But soccer needs a field, two nets and a freaking ball. It's supposed to be the people's game, the international, beautiful game. Entire villages in the poorest parts of the world can still manage to come together for soccer matches.

Maybe they're trying to pay for the cost of building the ground/pitch in one fell swoop? That would be disgusting. The working class are the fans they want if they want a true soccer atmosphere. Instead if its only the rich who get seats good enough to properly enjoy the match then it will be like the Dome. A library of polite, over-privileged, condescending @$$holes.

I was already working on getting my drums together for opening day. Brand new team in a brand new stadium in a brand new league doesn't happen too often, and legends should be born that day. With prices like that, they'll be lucky to have people actually watching the match instead of looking at their phones. Hell, I'd probably get kicked out for bringing the drum because it was disturbing someone's precious sensibilities.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post: